Low BMI VSG to DS?.. Surgeon recommendations

(deactivated member)
on 9/23/11 10:48 pm - Castle Rock, CO
i posted this on LW forum too

hi there! im a LW now (33 bmi) having lost a lot from my vsg done in feb this yr (went for DS in mexico, woke up w/sleeve due to cardiomyopathy).. i want to get the DS for the malabsorption, which surgeons do the DS on LW's & would be willing to work w/you for insurance coverage since im not qualified for wls anymore?

what are your other recommendations? feel free to PM me suggs as well.. thanks!
MajorMom
on 9/23/11 11:43 pm - VA
I responded to you on the LW board, but I'll add Dr Rabkin as well. Talk to Dr K and Dr Rabkin's insurance coordinators and see what they say. Both are on the California surgeons list on DSFacts.com

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

califsleevin
on 9/24/11 2:17 am - CA
I would second the motion of either Dr. Rabkin or Dr. K - the group leader for Dr. R's Ventura support group is a Dr. K graduate and has nothing but good words about him (other than he doesn't have a group in Ventura!)

When I was discussing my VSG with Dr. Rabkin, he was emphasizing that if I were interested in the second stage DS/revision, that it is best done promptly and before any substantial regain occurs, as you are trying to do; but that it usually isn't covered by insurance unless you are within the normal 35/40 BMI approval levels at the time, and it is usually done open rather than lap. These were risks I was willing to take given my pre-op conditions, but your interests certainly seem to be in line with his philosophy on it.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin