4 weeks and 1 day

ShersJourney
on 9/22/11 10:31 pm
So... I think I told Julie I was going to post an update 2 weeks ago, but I was so buried under work that my main client was hassling me IN the hospital.  I'm freelance. *sigh*

Anyway...  I think what's prompting me to write is I can't believe I ate nearly a full chicken breast over the course of the day without pureeing it, AND 2 string cheeses!  I cooked the chicken overnight in gravy until it's basically shredding on it's own - very moist and soft.

A week ago I was convinced that I wouldn't be ready for solids by this week but it looks like I was wrong.

08/25 I was supposed to have a DS, but instead Dr. Kemmeter was only able to do the VSG portion, I will most likely have part deux in March or April. 

Still, my eating is primarily the same as a DS'er right now except of course that I have to avoid fats like the plague.

I stopped taking pain meds to sleep about 4 days ago - the only thing that hurt was the port that the stomach was removed through.  It's amazing to me how maliable the body can be!  I've only had to take the promethazine (anti-nausea) twice.  I haven't vomitted a single time, no fever, no diarrhea, no food intolerances, no real food preference changes -- I think this whole thing has been beyond text book for me.

I made mention of what a shockingly easy recovery I'm having and Dr. Kemmeter asked me why I thought it would be any different, I told him because you read so many things on the boards in 4 years and you come to hope for the best but plan for the worst.  He smiled and said, "the people who are having easy recoveries aren't posting to the boards, they're out living their lives!"  I kinda like that thought.

At about 2 weeks out, I had a lot planned for that Saturday.  My youngest started a bowling league that starts at 9:30 am, from there we were supposed to do a scout function at the war memorial to commemorate 9/11, and from there I was going to go to Lisa's DS gathering.  Unfortunately however, I was still sore enough that moving my arm to fill out the team roster just about did me in.  What was later determined was that my muscle under the main port was just aching because I'd been out nearly every day that week.  I had to cancel the other 2 events much to my disappointment, and I quickly learned to only schedule myself for one thing / day until the pain was a little less.

Oh also - Julie R. is a saint!  In a panic I texted her all upset that my waistbands, which were reasonably comfortable before surgery, were suddenly uncomfortably tight and made no sense.  Of course thoughts of failure and disappointment insued - and it doesn't help that I can't really weigh myself right now.  My scale CLAIMS to go up to 400 but it won't steady at any number and the screen eventually gives up and goes dark.  The range is like 30# so I can't even narrow it down.

Julie suggested it may still be surgical swelling - and I realized that I didn't notice it sooner because I've essentially lived in the nightgown my Mommy bought me for surgery from the moment I got home, except when it was being washed.  Damn chocolate shakes!  :)

A few days after my panic, I woke up and realized my waist bands were all loose now!  Just like that, the swelling went down.  A top that I used to have to pull down so it didn't show my tummy now rests comfortably about 2" lower than my waistband.  I've decided to relax and wait to see what happens, what I weigh and measure etc. at my 6 week check.  It's probably for the best that I don't obsess over the scale anyway - and I always promised myself I wouldn't do that to myself based on everything I've always read from others' experiences.

So in summation - newbees - having a good, confident, skilled surgeon makes ALL the difference.  I'm 100% positive that Dr. Kemmeter was supposed to be my surgeon, and everything went so smoothly I can't imagine - though I have empathy for - how some people suffer so greatly after this surgery.

For 2 weeks I had protein shakes, protein broth, and once in a while a SF pudding - though I'm terribly disappointed that I can't find butterscotch anywhere - except in the box, and that tastes horrible to me.

For the last 2 weeks I've had refried beans with shredded chz melted, high protein mashed potatoes, cottage chz, SF pudding, pureed chicken breast (slow cooked in gravy - moisture is everything), canned chicken mixed with unflavored Chobani greek yogurt, and just various flavored yogurt cups.  

It IS important to eat every 2-3 hours... I didn't think it would be when this started but I quickly found out that especially with purees, the body sends that through and I actually DO get hungry again.  The interesting part is even though he took 3/4 of my stomach, I'm eating far less than 25% of what I used to eat.

I know this has been long and I could probably say more but I will update again in a couple weeks after my next check.

Oh - one other important point -- my blood sugar hasn't been over 130 this entire time, and that was only once... I'm hovering around 103 :)

Good luck to all pre-ops and new ops and thanks for reading this far!  I will give weights in 2 weeks after I have them, but as of 2 weeks ago I'd already lost around 30#.

Blessings,
Sherry

teachmid
on 9/22/11 11:34 pm - OKC, OK
Sounds like everything is going well, Sherry. Don't push yourself too much.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Julie R.
on 9/22/11 11:55 pm - Ludington, MI
 I've been wanting to text you all week, and it's just been outrageously busy!   I'm SO glad to hear you are eating "real" food and tolerating it well.    Isn't it amazing that an ENTIRE chicken breast and two string cheeses seems like an incredbly huge amount?

I too had an amazingly easy recovery, and Dr. K is right - you always  hear all of the horror stories here.    I got a chance to visit with him last week at the DS conference.   He's such a cool guy.    He told me that he owes me dinner or something for all the business I send his way.   I told him I'm the one who owes him - for saving my life!   He said, "Okay, you buy."   
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

ShersJourney
on 9/23/11 5:18 pm
Julie - 
You're SO right... pre-op, 1-2 breasts plus salad or veg and a starch would be ONE meal... now today, for example - I've had less than yesterday even.

I hope you guys do get to do that dinner, I told you there was this smile that came across his face when I mentioned your name... he definitely knows you and obviously likes you :)

lk1970
on 9/23/11 10:46 pm
SO glad to hear you're doing so well! Keep healing!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "oh crap! she's up!