Update

lwoznick
on 9/22/11 10:25 am - Green Bay, WI
Hi Everyone,

Well, it's been a little more than a week since my surgery and I just wanted to provide an update. I'm back home and glad to be here. I'm sore, swollen and tired but that's to be expected. Despite that, I've been walking a great deal and have been able to do a lot. I've lost 11 pounds in eight days but nothing the last two days. I'm hoping that downward trend continues. I've found it quite easy actually to get my 64 plus ounces of fluids in and am getting 84 grams of protein in daily in the form of two protein shakes. I've gotten up to 110 oz of water in too some days but typically about 80-90 oz of liquids. I'm allowed to eat mushy foods but haven't found many that are too tolerable just yet. I seem to have issues with a lot of gas build up in my intestines and some diarrhea or looser stools. I'm sure that's my new plumbing trying to figure itself out. At least I know it's working! The only other thing I've questioned is that I've developed a circular shaped rash near where my drain was pulled out. It feels like there's a lump underneath it and it's somewhat painful, but not excutiatingly so. I do have a follow up with my surgeon next Weds. in Minneapolis, so I was going to let it go until then. Does anyone know what might be causing that? I'm hoping I didn't pull some stitches and cause a hernia or something like that. I want to thank everyone again for their support and advice, especially since my experience didn't turn out the way I'd expected it to. But things still appear to be going well.

Warmest wishes,

Lisa

HW 293, SW 282, LW (Post RNY) 202, SW Pre-DS 242, CW 219 GW 140
Julie from Ludington, MI is my Angel!

Julie R.
on 9/22/11 10:35 am - Ludington, MI
 Hi Lisa!    I'm glad to hear you are doing well - I've been thinking of you all week.    It sounds like you're doing GREAT and your DS plumbing is working just the way it's supposed to be.    The loose stools is pretty typical and the gas can be your new works or the whey in the shakes.   

A lot of us seem to develop strange rashes post-op - I had a rather uncomfortable one on my lower belly.     Not sure what caused it.   If the lump gets hot or swollen, or starts draining, I'd go to someone local, if not, I think it can wait till you see Dr. B.    I have a three day weekend, so if you need anything - drop me a text or a call!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

lwoznick
on 9/22/11 10:40 am - Green Bay, WI
Thanks, Julie! I'll probably try calling you sometime this weekend. Glad to hear you have an extra day off! The lump isn't draining. It's rather hard and beneath a large bruise. I think I can wait to see Dr. B. about it. My incision looks really good....no redness, heat or discharge anywhere. So that's good!

How's your week been?

Diane Davis
on 9/22/11 10:44 am
Been thinking about you Lisa.  Glad you're home and doing OK.  I still have problems with bloated stomach, and am learning new intolerances.  Thank goodnesss whey isolate protein shakes do well with me, at least for now.

Take care and don't overdo.  Your body needs to heal.

Continue to think about you.
 My  is Jewels.  Love her very much!            
lwoznick
on 9/22/11 10:50 am - Green Bay, WI
Thanks, Diane! I'm just so glad people are still supporting me here. I was worried about that post surgery. I'm also thankful for the protein shakes. They've been my saving grace recently allowing me to get both protein and extra fluid in on a daily basis. My body seems to tolerate them pretty well. How are you faring? Do you find your upper abdomen is more bloated than your lower abdomen...especially after you eat or drink something? I feel like I'm nine months pregnant some days! I am trying to take it easy...but am walking to try to prevent blood clots. I also have a large dog, Penny, my Chesapeake Bay Retriever, who needs to be walked several times daily, so that helps me get in my exercise. But I do sleep a lot. Hope my energy comes back before it's time to return to work. Let me know how you're doing when you have a moment. You can PM me too if you'd like!

Warmest wishes,

Lisa

teachmid
on 9/22/11 10:50 am - OKC, OK
Sounds like everything is pretty normal. Glad you're doing so well.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

lwoznick
on 9/23/11 4:35 am - Green Bay, WI
Thanks, Gail! I feel lucky as I know some other newbies have had a rougher go of it in the beginning. I'm just grateful things are going well for now and I'm going to simply keep doing what I need to do for my recovery.

Elizabeth N.
on 9/22/11 12:44 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Sounds like you're doing very well!

Now STAY OFF THE SCALE. Every bit of movement you have seen, and the lack thereof, is WATER, nothing more.

lwoznick
on 9/23/11 4:43 am - Green Bay, WI
You're right, Elizabeth! I need to back away from the scale now! I just get excited about that initial weight loss..even if it is all water. And I've already stagnated, even put a pound back on, so you're certainly correct about that being water weight fluctuations. I can't wait until the real fat starts burning off! I still have some silly fears about that not happening, but I think we probably all feel that at some point post surgery...wondering if this surgery will fail us too. I know it won't in the long run. And you're right, I need to put away my scale and let the surgery do its work long term. Let's see where I am a year from now. Thanks again for all of your valuable advice and support! I really look forward to reading your posts because you tell it like it is yet your words of wisdom are some of the best on this site.

Frankie
on 9/23/11 12:26 am - NY
Lisa,

I am to hear that you are doing well.  Just remember to sip, walk and rest and you will do fine.

Frankie