DS WITH DR. RAMOS KELLY - MEXICO???

Elizabeth N.
on 9/23/11 7:37 am - Burlington County, NJ
The VSG is only one part of the DS.

You're wrong about Dr.Kelly doing the DS, and you're crazy to go to an inexperienced surgeon for a revision.

$16K for a revision surgery is dirt cheap, so start saving or whatever. But if you go to an inexperienced surgeon for this REVISION TO DS, you are, as someone else said, suicidal.

Elizabeth N.
on 9/24/11 1:51 am - Burlington County, NJ
Thanks so much for  changing the caps! For folks who have gotten used to the "language" and "culture" of Internet communication, it's much more soothing to read the all lowercase letters rather than the uppercase. Makes a significant difference in how you come across in writing :-).

It sounds to me like your mistaken concept of the DS is at the root of your thoughts about this surgeon.

See, the stomach is one organ and the small intestine is a totally different organ. Different tissues, different EVERYTHING. Just because a surgeon can reduce stomach size (and that is not necessarily the same thing as a proper VSG, either, FYI) does not mean that s/he can do a good job of, well, ANY surgery on the small intestine, much less the very specific and complex procedure that is the DS.

Loads of surgeons all over the world limit the types of procedures they do and the organs they handle. This makes sense, right?

So this Dr. Kelly's alleged skill with the VSG (and you need to NOT believe everything you read online, even or perhaps especially in places like this--sales shills abound, masquerading as patients) means absolutely NOTHING about the DS. Anyone connected with him who says otherwise is a moron at best and probably an outright liar.

Another thing you need to remember is that if his marketing people send you names of people who supposedly had the DS with him and are happy, you have no way of knowing if they are real people or if they are telling the truth. People will say ANYTHING for a buck. And you have zero legal recourse against a lying surgeon or marketer in another country.

I hope this has been helpful and that you'll let us give you input about our experiences as you continue your search for a surgeon. I'd like to suggest you contact Dr. David Greenbaum in Willingboro, NJ www.southjerseybariatrics.com or www.duodenalswitchdoc.com or www.drthin.com . If you email him directly, he will respond in person.

Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/23/11 6:07 am - Tuvalu

A newbie DS surgeon for a revision?

That's a sucide attempt.  I hope you don't succeed on that point.
beemerbeeper
on 9/23/11 6:53 am, edited 9/23/11 6:55 am - AL
There is ONLY one doctor in MEXICO for the DS.  Only ONE  O.N. E...."1".... not two...just ONE:

Ungston.

Stop looking for any others.

Really.  Truly.  Trust us.

There is only one.  And for a REVISION?  There is STILL only one.

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 9/23/11 7:35 am - Woodbridge, VA
LOTS of surgeons do the VSG and even do it very well. But most of those surgeons still do NOT do the DS. The DS is a whole different beast from the VSG, surgically speaking. Having a million successful VSGs under his belt does NOT make him a good DS surgeon.
Elizabeth N.
on 9/23/11 7:40 am - Burlington County, NJ
You can't find anything to verify it because it isn't true.

Typing in all caps online is the written equivalent of yelling. Please unlock your keyboard. All small letters is the "acceptable" default if you don't want to use capitalization for your writing :-).

Emily F.
on 9/23/11 9:09 am
Yes, you are putting a price tag on your life. Figure out another way to pay for it.

don't go to someone for a revision that you don't even know if he DOES the surgery.
(deactivated member)
on 9/23/11 11:33 am - Beverly, NJ
Having surgery is serious **** So serious in fact that the last person I know who went for a revision with a newbie doctor DIED!

LISTEN to the vets on this one. Most of all PLEASE do your research.
kramer5
on 9/23/11 1:45 pm - Washington, KS
I'm probably one of the last people that anyone would expect to post this but I really believe you should go to a vetted surgeon.  I went with a non-vetted surgeon and I'm ok, but I'm also incredibly lucky, not smart.  I will always question my decision in certain ways. 

For example:  I have a couple of incisions that are infected and I think to myself, if I'd gone to a vetted surgeon would that have happened.  If I have problems down the line, I'll wonder if it's because of my surgeon.  If I stop losing early, I may wonder if it's because of my surgeon choice (assuming I do everything I'm supposed to do).  There will always be this element of doubt in my mind that I know wouldn't be there if I'd gone with a vetted surgeon.

For your peace of mind, your family's, and those on here that care about you (and they care about everyone on here or they wouldn't be here), go with a vetted surgeon and safe yourself some worry.

Dawn

Elizabeth N.
on 9/24/11 1:33 am - Burlington County, NJ
Bless you for seeing this in your experience and publishing it.

And pardon my mother-hennishness, but: YOU ARE NOT OUT OF THE WOODS YET, and really, you never will be entirely. You don't know what quality of work he did and how it could affect you down the road. Understand that we all WANT you to be fine, and we all will always have a tiny bit of worry in our minds when we see you because of your choice of surgeon and concern about his history.

How's the abscess problem coming?