DS WITH DR. RAMOS KELLY - MEXICO???

(deactivated member)
on 9/23/11 5:05 am, edited 9/23/11 7:49 am - Spring, TX

i am looking for anyone that has had dr kelly perform the ds surgery.

i have been told that he does do this procedure but i cannot find any posts to verify it.

thanks!

meredith_123
on 9/23/11 5:20 am - Waterford, MI
From all I've read on this site (which is a lot), Dr. Ungston is the ONLY vetted DS surgeon in Mexico.  I'm sure several other people will also tell you this for your safety.  Do not use any other surgeons in Mexico.
  5'5" -- HW 275/SW 246/GW 130/CW 157      
ann M.
on 9/23/11 5:22 am, edited 9/23/11 7:03 am - Northern, VA
You are going to get a lot of adament and very strongly worded replies to this message.  We have had a couple people who used surgeons they were begged not to use.  They had very horrid experiences / death.  Everyone is pretty emotional over the whole ordeal.

You will be told in no uncertain terms that the ONLY safe doctor to use in Mexico is Dr. Ungson in Hermasillo, MX.

If you haven't already, go spend some time at www.dsfacts.com

SW / BMI / SIZE:  312 / 49.5 / 26-28W         CW / BMI / SIZE:  159.1 / 25.1/ 10-12 
I need to lose about 2 more pounds for a normal BMI .  I still seem to be slowly losing at over 2 yrs out...so may get there yet.

teachmid
on 9/23/11 5:25 am, edited 9/23/11 5:26 am - OKC, OK
For your safety, health and well being.....Dr. Ungston is the only choice. Please take a looked at the list of vetted surgeons at DSFacts.com. I see that you're in TX. Have you considered Dr, Daryl Stewart in Denton, TX?

Are you looking for a revision or a virgin DS?
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Anna G.
on 9/23/11 5:29 am
The previous posters are correct. There is only one DS surgeon in Mexico that we recommend. But his name is spelled "Ungson", not "Ungston".

ann M.
on 9/23/11 7:03 am - Northern, VA
Thanks, Anna:)

SW / BMI / SIZE:  312 / 49.5 / 26-28W         CW / BMI / SIZE:  159.1 / 25.1/ 10-12 
I need to lose about 2 more pounds for a normal BMI .  I still seem to be slowly losing at over 2 yrs out...so may get there yet.

Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/23/11 5:39 am - Tuvalu

I've seen his name mentioned by someone else who was inquiring.

Think about this...of all the DS patients in all the world...don't you think that if there were REALLY an experienced DS surgeon in a place as easy to get to as Tijuana...far easier to reach than Hermosillo...that ONE of us would have read a post by ONE of his happy patients?

Guess why we haven't read of even one happy DS patient.
(deactivated member)
on 9/23/11 5:44 am, edited 9/23/11 7:48 am - Spring, TX
Nicolle
on 9/23/11 6:04 am, edited 9/22/11 6:26 pm
FYI--using all capital letters is considered "yelling" in the online world. You may want to stop that.

You're not upsetting us with your post. We are worried for you.

No, the DS is not the "second part to the sleeve." If anything, the sleeve is the first part of the DS. BIG difference. Please read www.dsfacts.com from top to bottom so you are more familiar with the DS before you go under the knife.

I have been on OH for probably about 5 years. No, I have not seen anyone here get a DS from the doctor you are asking about. His own web site is very lapband and VSG-heavy and says he has done "more than 2,500 bariatric procedures." If even 1 percent of those were the DS, I would be shocked. Lapband and VSG are child's play compared to the technical skill required to do a proper DS. Find out who he trained on the DS with...you cannot learn it in a weekend seimnar like the Crapband and the VSG. How many DSes has he done? Can you talk with some of his patients who are a few years out from their DSes?

Please go with more experience. The DS is a difficult surgery. In the wrong hands, it can be deadly. (Just to give you a point of reference, Dr. Rabkin's practice in San Fran has done more than 1500 DSes. His data is here: http://www.paclap.com/pacific-laparoscopy/our-results.cfm)

We are NOT against self-pay people going to Mexico for surgery. In fact, we encourage people to go to Dr. Ungson all of the time. He is experienced and has dozens and dozens of happy patients here to speak for him. We see lots of people got to lesser-known docs in Mexico and the results are usually awful, from leaks to death to massive complications. See Larissa's story.

And yes, since you mentioned it, it does seem like you are putting a price tag on your life. The risks are very real. You need an experienced surgeon.

ETA--I just re-read your message and saw you are a revision. That is an even MORE complicated surgery. You need a ringer for this, not a newbie.

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

MsBatt
on 9/23/11 6:28 am
The Sleeve is a fairly un-complicated procedure. Any gastric surgeon should be able to do one. Removing the Band---sometimes easy, sometimes not. NOT something I'd want done by anyone who hasn't had LOTS of experience.

What makes the DS such a complicated surgery is the sewing of the duodenum. Duodenal tissue is VERY fragile, and difficult to sew---I've heard it described as sewing wet tissue paper.

If you choose to go to any surgeon in Mexico other than Dr. Ungson, you ARE putting a pricetag on your life.