Non-vetted surgeon called me

LuckyLibrarian
on 9/22/11 4:13 am - Plumerville, AR
When I first started researching WLS, I signed up for a seminar with a local band and RNY surgeon. I never went to the seminar, and they keep calling me to schedule another one. I have been avoiding their calls and not returning messages.

They called me just now, and I answered. I told them that I was no longer interested in that surgeon, as I want the duodenal switch. They immediately asked about my insurance coverage, and I informed them that I was indeed covered for the DS. Eventually, they put his nurse on the line. She told me that he "does the DS on a case by case basis, as it causes much more malabsorbtion." I asked how many DSs he has done and she said, very confidently, "many." At this point, I grilled her as to how many constituted many.
She then went on to tell me that he does LB and RNY more commonly. I thanked her and hung up.

I am a bit PO'd and feel that they were attempting a bait and switch. Just wanted to vent this frustration. I know there are no vetted DS surgeons in Arkansas. I am not stupid, and resent the attempts to get me in their door. I can't wait to travel, far far away, for my DS.
callmeEJ
on 9/22/11 4:33 am - Minneapolis, MN
Bleah! i'd be very suspicious of a doctor that has so few patients that they/their staff resort to sales tactics like these to get your money (or your insurance's money). A GOOD surgeon has a good enough reputation that patients are lining up to see THEM. I think you're right, they were probably trying to lure you in to do a bait-and-don't-switch (ie, get you into the office and try to sell you the RNY).
-EJ
"If television's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who won't shut up." -cat and girl

5'6" HW 325 / SW 317 / CW 214 / First Goal 190    |    Century Club 09/19/2011
beemerbeeper
on 9/22/11 5:08 am - AL
Smart cookie you are.  Good for you.

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 9/22/11 5:28 am
scoob
on 9/22/11 5:48 am - Somerset, KY

Good girl!! You did AWESOME!!!

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 9/22/11 6:10 am
I'm wondering exactly what line doctors have to cross before it's considered a crime.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

larra
on 9/22/11 10:32 am - bay area, CA
They just didn't want to lose a paying customer, it's as simple and as sad as that.  Good job!

Larra
Elizabeth N.
on 9/22/11 12:53 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Real simple:

"I have chosen not to use your practice. Remove my name and information from your database and do not contact me again."

They are bound by law to comply. Record the date and time you said this. In fact, you might even send it in a registered letter. If they bug you again, raise hell.

Surgeons should NOT be engaging in what amounts to telemarketing tactics.

(deactivated member)
on 9/22/11 2:31 pm
 But, EN, how else will they be able to afford their six-figure-per-month advertising expenses?  
Elizabeth N.
on 9/22/11 10:41 pm - Burlington County, NJ
My heart bleeds for their suffering.