RNY

happygirl01
on 9/21/11 4:57 am
I had RNY 6 tears ago. I have been through hip replacement and now might have to have knee. My BP is sky high and I feel like crud. I want to have the DS done because I have gained 60 lbs. I am so ashamed of my self I wont even go out of the house. I failed again. My surgeon will not do a revision on me and another dr I talked to doesent want to do it because he did not do the first. Any ideas. I have to loose this weight or I will be in scooter before long. I am too young for that. I know if the weight will come off my knee will hold on for a long while. Please help me. I live in Ky. I am so depressed and don't know what to do I am lost..thanks you
MomToTeens
on 9/21/11 5:24 am - OH
If you are interested in revising from an RNY to DS, you have to go to a vetted surgeon who is experienced in revisions.  You will have to travel in order to have it.  There is a complete list of vetted revision surgeons at dsfacts.com, but some that come to mind are:

Rabkin and Keshishian in California
Ungson in Mexico
Kemmeter in Michigan
Anthone in Nebraska
Greenbaum in New Jersey
Stewart in Texas
Elariny in Virginia
Gagner in Canada

I think there are a couple of others, but these are the ones I could come up with quickly.

Research, research, research!!

Susan
RNY:  05/24/2005     SW:  270, lowest:  190,  Back up to:  230
Revision to DS:  07/24/2011  SW:230/CW:181/GW:140

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!"
Will Rogers

teachmid
on 9/21/11 8:10 am - OKC, OK
You have not failed....the RNY has failed you, so do not feel guilty. You have nothing to be ashamed of.

I had a RNY to DS revision 9 months ago. My diabetes, hypertension, reactive hypoglycemia, high cholesterol and 77# are gone.

The travel is a hassle, but doable. Read and research.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

NoMore B.
on 9/21/11 8:15 am
 Stop thinking it's your fault.  It's a known fact that the RNY has a high regain rate, and it has to do with the mechanics of the surgery, not any lack of willpower on your part.  

You've come to the right place and have some research to do.

The RNY to DS revision surgery is very complicated, and it is critical that you see one of the select few surgeons that do them.  There are people here who have been through it and will be a good source of info for you.
larra
on 9/21/11 9:54 am - bay area, CA
No, you did NOT fail again! The RNY has a 30% failure rate, this awful number supplied to me by the surgeon who would have done my RNY had I been foolish or desparate enough to go through with it. And consider that "success" in the wls world means losing just 50% of your excess weight. The bar is not set very high, and yet so many still fail. This tells us that there is something fundamentally flawed with the operation itself.
     The key now is for you to consult with a surgeon who does RNY to DS revisions, and there aren't many around. Some of the names you have already been given are DS surgeons, but don't do RNY to DS. The big names for you now are Drs. Rabkin and Keshishian in Calif, Dr. Roslin in NY, maybe Dr. Kenmeter in Mich, and Dr. Gagner in Montreal. I don't know if Dr. Stewart in TX does them or not. Dr. Greenbaum is either not doing them these days, or only on a case by case basis, I'm not sure. Dr. Ungson in Mexico is a well respected DS surgeon but does not do RNY to DS revisions, nor does anyone else in Mexico (if anyone gives you some other name in Mexico for this, run like the wind).
     Start contacting these guys by email or phone. You will need to travel, there is no getting around it.

Larra