Flu Shot

MsBatt
on 9/21/11 2:15 am
Well, that's bad news! I take Aleve every day for my arthritis. Should I skip it for a day or two before getting my flu shot? I recently had to be off it for a week due to a medical procedure I was going to have, and I was MISERABLE---even though I was taking tramadol in its place.
Imissthe80s
on 9/21/11 12:58 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
Thanks for the Tylenol recommendation, Steve!

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 9/20/11 1:21 pm
Long ago pre op I shunned the flu shot. Then the flu got old-school-east-village on my ass, ripped out my spine and beat me with it, then it took my wallet and ran off to avenue D. Then I caught ANOTHER flu a week after I was finally starting to feel better.

Lesson learned.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

Kayla B.
on 9/20/11 1:31 pm - Austin, TX
This will be my 3rd year getting one.  I get it free at work.

College student + work in urgent care.  Practically begging for the flu.

I never got it before...just cause.  Didn't really have a reason why.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/20/11 1:51 pm - Tuvalu

We went to a health fair thing and the Veteran's Administration was there just looking bored...so we went over to say hello and when they figured out we were both vets and had our ID...we got free flu shots.

This was good because it keeps us "in the system" at the VA.  We don't go usually, because so many kids who have no other access to care really need the slots and I feel guilty when I'm in line in front of one of them.  But we DO want to be in the system, and that takes going once a year...and they told us that getting that flu vaccine would do it!

sweetpotato1959
on 9/20/11 1:50 pm
 There is another alternative...a natural one... L-Lysine  is an antiviral. Used daily as a preventive it works well. If  exposed to active flu , we up our dose to 1,000 mg twice a day.We have used it for three years.  No flu and no fever blisters.
        My husband already has neurological impairments and  in Great Britan they had too many( 7-10%) cases of deaths from Guillian B syndrome, in patients that had  neurological impairments with the swine flu vaccine.. If It had been my family member only ONE would have been  too many percent.
      I have a neighbor  who sucessfully used it to end  shingles...after  5 days @ 1,000mg  twice a day her blisters dried up.
Denise
Renfairewench
on 9/20/11 9:21 pm
Nope. Haven't gotten a flu shot in many years and probably won't get one this year either. That's not to say I cannot get the flu, but I have been around those who do have the flu and haven't gotten it (immediate family members). I work in the pharma industry and we have been informed that you actually have to get two to three flu shotsduring the season since the life of one flu shot is only about three months, so if you get a flu shot now in September you really are only innoculated until around December. Since flu season goes until the Spring I just don't see the point. Yes, I know that if I did get the flu that it would be as bad, but just because you got a flu shot does not mean you cannot get the flu.  I am not anti flu shot either. I make sure that my husband gets his every year (2x) because he works on a college campus and the flu tends to run rampant with the kids. Last year they suspended classes and had all non essential personel stay home for three days (ended up being 5 days in total because they started it on a Wed.). I'm taking my daughter to get her a flu shot too since she is in college.  Now, if I could just get all the coworkers to NOT come in and play martyr and stay the hell home when they are sick all would be good.

Blessings,
Maddie

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

newyorkbitch
on 9/20/11 9:31 pm
Will your husband and daughter get 3 shots then?
Renfairewench
on 9/20/11 10:45 pm
Husband will get at least two because of other health issues (heart). Daughter, well she is nearly 21 and old enough to decide for herself. In the past I have taken her once in September and then in January after school break. The decision is up to her.

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

Chad M.
on 9/21/11 2:19 am - Indianapolis, IN
 I have every year since my DS. It was recommended to me beofire surgery. I actually got the flu and pneumonia shot that year.

My immune system is certainly better than it was 200+ pounds ago, but I still don't see any reason to take chances.