Flu Shot

Samaro ..
on 9/20/11 7:37 am
I got one every year before my DS and I get one every year since my DS.  I am exposed to a high-risk population and also exposed in a hospital setting so I don't take any chances, not only for my own health but that of my family.

Imissthe80s
on 9/20/11 8:18 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
I am getting mine tomorrow because I don't want anything else, besides the insurance company, possibly standing in the way of me and my DS--that's if I am lucky enough to have my DS this winter sometime.

Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/20/11 10:13 am - Tuvalu

I was at the hematologist's last week and one of the RNs was whining about flu shots and how she had one once and then got sick and one of the oncologists was explaining that it most likely was something she had previously been exposed to or some other irritant...and she still waffled.

But now she hates me because I told that oncologist that "at SOME medical practices, employees have the choice of getting a flu shot or wearing a face mask for the entire flu season."  He thought it was a nifty idea...even asked if it was one he could make them wear really tight.

I mean, really.  They have an office full of people who MOSLTY have cancer and whose bodies are being fed poisons that shut down their immune systems and these people who are supposed to serve them don't WANT to get a flu shot? 

Okay...wait for it...ready?  They need to grow the **** up or get jobs waiting tables, where the patrons have a CHOICE about being there.

Renfairewench
on 9/20/11 9:34 pm
The thing with the flu shot is that it only innoculates for the strain of flu that the CDC THINKS will strike. They have been wrong in the past. The other thing with the flu shot is that many people are under the impression that they are now immune to getting the strain of flu that they were innoculated for. This could not be more true.  You can still get the flu if you have gotten a flu shot, but the (good) thing is that your body will have created antibodies for that strain and you likely will not get the flu as bad as if you didn't have the flu shot to begin with.

As for your medical practice, I personally feel that ALL people who work in the medical field, beit admin, transport worker, nurse, X-ray tech or whatever should be required to get a flu shot (unless allergic to eggs). It seems the responsible thing to do no matter what type of practice you work in, but especially when you work in a practice that treats cancer patients or others with compromised immune systems. They (cancer patients) should be innoculated too if allowed, but certainly they should not be exposed to the virus because of dolts like the whining RN.

Blessings,
Maddie

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

pawmetto.on.cloud.

on 9/20/11 10:37 am
I plan on getting the shot on friday, as being a new ds'er I asked the doc on my 1 week follow up since I work in a call center with a high volume of people the flu shot is a must and he did not see any reason not to get one.

(deactivated member)
on 9/20/11 11:13 am
 I get a flu shot every year.  I just had my flu shot today for the upcoming flu season.  I highly recommend getting one.  It's impossible to GET the flu from the flu vaccination because it is an inactivated vaccine.  The immune response some people mount in response to the vaccination can FEEL like the flu, but it's not.  Plus, it's generally a thousand time milder than the actual flu would be in that same person.  I'm glad you're getting yours tomorrow!  If you're not allergic to Tylenol, I'd recommend a dose at least an hour before getting the vaccination and repeat a dose 6 hours afterwards.  
MsBatt
on 9/20/11 12:17 pm
How about Aleve? Tylenol does NOTHING for my 'regular' aches and pains.
(deactivated member)
on 9/20/11 1:11 pm
Tylenol's recommended most.  Aspirin is never recommended.  Other nonsteroidals are used, but there are ongoing studies as to whether they not only block inflammation but also impede antibody formation when given around the time of vaccination.  
Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/20/11 1:17 pm - Tuvalu

Then vicodin it is!!!

(deactivated member)
on 9/20/11 1:27 pm
On September 20, 2011 at 8:17 PM Pacific Time, Ms. Cal Culator wrote:

Then vicodin it is!!!

Oooooooh yeah!