Why Prilosec?

DivaJojo
on 9/19/11 11:22 am - Atlanta, GA
I think I have seen here some have mentioned prilosec in relation to bowel issues and I was wondering why. What does it do and how can it help with bowel issues?

Diva Jojo:   SW:  440lbs -- CW:  274lbs  --  GW:  240lbs

Elizabeth N.
on 9/19/11 12:07 pm - Burlington County, NJ
It's an acid reducer. Somehow reducing acid helps with nausea in many cases. For some people it seems to help with burny butt, though I think more burny butt comes from bile salts than from acid issues.

newyorkbitch
on 9/19/11 8:45 pm, edited 9/19/11 8:46 pm
Nausea and vomiting are common signs of acid reflux (also known as Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease or GERD for short). It's caused by the buildup of acid in the esophagus.   Taking an acid reducer usually helps with those symptoms by reducing the production of acid.

What are the bowel issues you have,   Diva?
DivaJojo
on 9/19/11 10:34 pm - Atlanta, GA
I'm healing a fissure right now and I think that I may have developed a minor case of hemmorhoids (well, nothing is minor when you have a fissure, anywhooo).  Normally, I don't have a problem with acidic stuff, but sense my hind area is sensitive now, I have felt an occasional burn in that area that makes me think there is a little fecal matter down there, not ready to come out, but the chemical make up of it burns a bit.  Plus, I have been wondering if some acid or bile or something "strong" in my stools actually aggravated the fissure.  I was wondering if it was worth it to take something to "neutralize my poo," if that's possible, and see if I notice a positive difference.

I'm already going to reduce the stool softeners I'm taking because it has gotten more watery than I intended and that isn't good.

Diva Jojo:   SW:  440lbs -- CW:  274lbs  --  GW:  240lbs

walter A.
on 9/20/11 1:27 am - lafayette, NJ
walter A.
on 9/19/11 10:14 pm - lafayette, NJ
a proton pump inhibitor, (prilosec) reduces the acidity in your alimentary canal, head to hemorrhoids, the acid does not discriminate what it digest.  I have been on prilosec for over 15 years. it cures for me IBS, gerd, and hemorrhoids and anal fissures, these are recognized off label uses. It is also effective in treating laryngitis in some cases.  
newyorkbitch
on 9/19/11 10:45 pm
I've been taking prilosec for years too,  way before my DS.  Still I got a fissure which was corrected with surgery,  after my DS.  I had no GERD at all - totally controlled by the prilosec.

Prilosec does NOT "cure" hemmorhoids and fissures - that is just ridiculous.  MAYBE it reduces the acidity in the stool,  but that's it.

newyorkbitch
on 9/20/11 1:29 am
You said:

"I have been on prilosec for over 15 years. it cures for me IBS, gerd, and hemorrhoids and anal fissures"

It's just terribly misleading.

Acid reflux does not cause hemmorhoids or anal fissures, and the relief of acid reflux does not cure them.

The reduction in acid MIGHT make some people more comfortable in some cases,  but fissures and hemmorhoids are physiological occurrences.
walter A.
on 9/20/11 1:32 am, edited 9/20/11 1:33 am - lafayette, NJ
tell the dr g that he rx it to cure mine and reflux and hemroids werent in the same sentence for cause and effect. even though I suffered disability from both.