Some of My Labs--Vitalady Rocks!

Kayla B.
on 9/20/11 9:38 am - Austin, TX
SO glad this is working for you!

In case anyone was wondering -- fake salt/salt substitutes are usually potassium chloride instead of sodium chloride (table salt). 

I don't know that I'm brave enough to put it on something where the salt plays a big role (like on corn on the cob), but this should blend easily into any recipe.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
MajorMom
on 9/20/11 9:42 am - VA
The Morton Lite salt works on corn on the cob and fresh tomatoes too. Thanks for the suggestion.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

J G.
on 9/20/11 4:47 pm
Kayla, Becky said she's taking a tsp a day.  Does that seem like a bit much?  Just concerned.....
Kayla B.
on 9/20/11 9:34 pm - Austin, TX
I do think it's quite a bit and would not dose like that without being under the care of a doctor and I'd caution against taking that much at one time.

In theory healthy kidneys should excrete the excess, but that's assuming a healthy kidney.  Hyperkalemia is dangerous, which is the whole reason the OTC pills are capped at 99mg in the first place.  I went ahead and looked it up and the recommended amount to get per day is like 4.7 grams, and there's no toxicity level on file, and 1 tsp is about 2.4g.  Not terribly concerning, but could be bad in the right (or wrong) person.

Again, no high doses without medical supervision (that means...ask a doc & get labs done), and no high doses if you're high risk for getting too much...known poor kidney function, on diuretics that keep the body from excreting potassium, and I'd throw in history of diabetes since diabetics can have issues that lead to decreased kidney function.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
vitalady
on 9/21/11 12:09 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
LOL

You remind me of me. I'm not much of a salter, but I'm pretty sure it's illegal to eat some foods without salt. Fresh tomatoes, cukes, avocado. Corn on cob, salt is optional. But it MUST be swimming in butter. LOL

My friend puts salt on everything. My cars are carry fast food salt packets when she is visiting! She salts first, tastes next. Interesting. When she came out here for her TT, I made her get her lytes tested before surgery! I just told the doc, she salts EVERYTHING, and that's crazy. LOL So, she tested mid-range in everything.

Now SHE is a salt freak. I humor her, so always have teeny ziploc with FF salts, you know, in case she has a salt emergency.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

J G.
on 9/21/11 4:08 am, edited 9/21/11 4:10 am
Becky, I was a little concerned about a whole tsp of the Mortons so I talked to Kayla also (see post above.) I used to do the fake salt thing years ago while on Atkins. Have you had your level tested?
-hugs, Jenny
beemerbeeper
on 9/21/11 4:27 am - AL
Thanks for your concern.  I'm not worried and just glad to have fewer leg cramps.  I'm gettng labs done this month so I will be posting my potassium numbers.

~Becky

zuzupetals2u2
on 9/21/11 11:10 am - Sedona, AZ
Becky- I thouight it was the lack of  magnesium that was causing your leg cramps?

I didnt see potassium at all on the VL supplement list tho my labs did show me deficient in it and I have been taking a prescription for it.

I havelo  been drinking NAKED brand coconu****er too as it is high in potassium and magnesium and is used in hospitals for severly dehydrated patients I heard. I have had a hard time in the hot weather staying hydrated.

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

vitalady
on 9/21/11 12:00 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
1. wow. i'm impressed

2. don't be disappointed that you have to fine tune every 6 months. we are still doing it. stupid vit D squiggles all around

3. leave your iron alone! ferritin is not too high. the sniffles or a booboo on your body can add 100 pts, temporarily! serum iron is less than stellar, so don't pull the legs out from under it. My ferritin runs around 200, but last fall I had UTI, so it jumped up to 350. In spring, it leapt to 502, but that was drawn the same week I was dx with the RA. AND I had damaged my hands, so they looked like balloon hands, puffed up with edema. So, again, false read.

4. i thought we were the only ones who finally stopped A. Interesting that you are drifting up, but not entirely bad!

5. protein group: looks like mine, kinda. saggy protein, but killer fabulous albumin and pre-alb. Not too much, because the pre-alb is also "momentary" vs "resident".

6. you have to take 8 OTC potassium to hold mid-range? Remember that to be equal to the lowest rx level (10 MEQ), you'd have to take 782 of the OTC! LOL I take 4 to hold mid-level, but in the last year, all of my numbers are all over the map. I suspect there is something going on secretly in me, like the autoimmunes are gathering up to attack me further. But many of my levels have been steady until the last year or so.

7. there appears to be some float with osteocalcin. I had a single digit, but the next set put it back at twenty-something.

8. As you know, my "high" from what I do is either laying eyes on people and/or seeing labs. In your case, I got both! You "don't look like you ever were heavy or had THAT surgery thing", as I usta hear before I hit this current wt. (about 89#)

As for my absence here, our getting home 1 month late, threw all of our routine doc appts into disarray and so am now scrambling to get the 6 months regular stuff, eyes, teeth, routine stuff that *I* need, not everyone. Don, too, but he's doing well.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.