Nausea Question

kathy215
on 9/19/11 9:22 am
I am 7 months post op and for the past 2 or 3 weeks immediately after I eat, almost right after I swallow, I get so nauseous, lasts about 15 minutes.. Has anyone else experienced this..

I was told I could stop my pepcid at 3 months post op and this only just started a few weeks ago.. I guess I should start taking it again and see how I feel?

Thanks
Kathy
sweetpotato1959
on 9/19/11 9:42 am
 I think I'd see my Dr if it was me, the surgeon who did my surgery...specifically.     
     .......Unless you can link it to hidden fat or food dryness..  (Dry chicken still gives me  distress.).both of those  can give me nausea,.... but I had a different procedure eons ago...I do have a pouch and Rny, but had other procedures done, for wt loss in addition, and several surgeries at the same time that were unrelated to wls.
Denise
no_more_rolls
on 9/19/11 7:36 pm, edited 9/19/11 7:37 pm - Jackson, MI
Hi Kathy, 

Oh I've been through this although I'm not as far out from my DS as you, but I have had nausea and vomiting issues with my DS since the beginning.  Initially it was daily, but now it is just a couple times a week.  Luckily for me, my issues are just the result of a sensitive belly.  If I eat too many carbs (30 max a day for me), sugar alchols (the things that end in "tol"), too much grease (like bacon), or just too much volume (food or water) I get sick.  

First, determine if you are possibly taking in too much volume or if you have made any changes to your diet that could be affecting how you feel.  I can normally tell within 1 bite if I have ate too much.  If you rule that out as the cause, you need to call your surgeon's office and tell them what is going on.  They may have you do a food diary for a week or so, give you a prescription for pepcid or something similar (like prilosec), or order tests.  If your surgeon thinks you may have developed a stricture or an ulcer he may want to do an EGD to scope your stomach out just to make sure you are okay...and if needed, dialate any area that may have formed a stricture.  

Denise gave great advice telling you to contact your surgeon.  As she said she had the RNY and other procedures, so her anatomy is different.  Many RNY'ers have issues with dry, greasy, starchy, or sugary foods.  Normally, DS'ers do not have those issues, unless it is something they experience from the beginning, have developed an issue, or recently changed eating habits.

Good luck!  I hope you manage to find a solution soon and all is well!  Keep us updated please.

~Roxy
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

larra
on 9/20/11 12:30 am - bay area, CA
You could try the pepcid or better still one of the PPI's (prilosec is available otc if you want to try it out). Pepcid did nothing for me, but prilosec helped greatly. I was able to stop taking it after maybe 11 months, but eventually had to restart it, and it still works great.
     If that doesn't work, definitely discuss with your surgeon.

Larra
dgb123
on 9/20/11 2:55 am - Fairfax, VA
As with Larra, Prilosec also helped me immensely.  I experienced  nausea for several months after my surgery.  My surgeon initially recommended Prilosec for just two weeks, but i stayed on it for 3 months!!

Good luck in getting over the nausea.  I HATE it!!!  I'd rather been in pain than nauseous!!

Donna

kathy215
on 9/20/11 3:26 am
Thanks for the replies Ladies.. I have a call into the nurse practioner.. I still have some protonix pills leftover..  I will see what she says too.

Thanks Again
Kathy