Online Site for Preparing Last Will and Testament?

Imissthe80s
on 9/19/11 5:18 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
Have any of you used an online site, free or otherwise, that you would recommend for preparing your Last Will and Testament?

zuzupetals2u2
on 9/19/11 5:20 am - Sedona, AZ
There is a self-help law site that can provide you the documents to do such a thing on Nolo Press.com. They are very good.

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

(deactivated member)
on 9/19/11 5:56 am - San Jose, CA

Not if you are married, have kids, own property, have a 401(k), a pension, stock options or basically are anything other than a poor single person with no savings or property of any sort.  Each state has its own laws on estate law, with very particular requirements - who has to witness the will and how, whether there is any handwriting, how you retract any previous wills - it is ridiculous how complex and technical these laws are, they change every year, and a technical failure in following any of them can invalidate the entire will.

And another thing - if you don't do it right, you can incur unnecessary taxes on your estate, as well as probate fees.

Here in Silicon Valley, where the cost of living is high, and the "professional discount" is a 15% markUP, I got my and DH's wills, trusts, medical and finacial powers of attorney, and living wills completely revised and updated for about $1500 - and we had some slightly complicated arrangements we wanted to make because of our blended family and adult kids who still need financial supervision.  The peace of mind is worth it.

yorkieGal
on 9/19/11 6:59 am - Clermont, FL
Hi, as a Brit transplanted to Florida, I know from experience how distressing it is to not have wills done properly by an attorney. My husband died suddenly at 39 without adequate prep legally and boy ws it ever stressful legally on top of the gried.

I agree with Diana, if you are considering this then please get some basic legal advice in drawing up a will. It can save your loved one's so much additiional stress. I for one now have a proper will drawn up by my attorney to ensure that my family in the Uk rceive my estate if anything happens to me.
Kindes regards

Yorkie xx

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

zuzupetals2u2
on 9/19/11 1:47 pm - Sedona, AZ
I would still check out NOLOPRESS even if an attorney would argue otherwise, as they are known to be very detail oriented and state specific. I worked as a paralegal a few years and the judges had great respect for them and their accuracy. I do too, more than i do for most attorneys.

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

walter A.
on 9/19/11 10:22 pm - lafayette, NJ
if you choose a do it your self service, at least  sign it and notorize it  file it with you county clerk both for safe keeping and recording .  It is of no value if its unknown, or lost in the fire that kills you.
no_more_rolls
on 9/21/11 6:42 am - Jackson, MI
I agree with Dianna and Yorkie.  I've lost both my parents in the past 5 years.  They both had last wills prepared by an attorney (different attorneys).  

My father died in 2006, his estate was finally closed about 6 months ago...due to errors in the will that led his estate to being probated.  I was advised by the judge to sue the attorney that prepared my father's estate for the excess legal fees the errors caused and to file a complaint with the state. 

My mother passed a year later.  She had one will filed with the local probate court prepared by an attorney several years prior to her death and another will she prepared from a "do it yourself kit" notarized by my brother's secretary and witnessed by him.  Needless to say her estate is still NOT closed and by the time all is said and done the legal fees will exceed her estate.

If you have any assets, do your loved ones a favor and get a good will made by an attorney that specializes in Wills, Estate, and Probate.  Just because someone "deals" with it doesn't mean they will be knowledgeable.  
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

Imissthe80s
on 9/21/11 6:45 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
As always, thanks for the advice guys!