Funny feeling and Hernia Repair Surgery this Thursday.

Not yo business OH
on 9/19/11 12:28 am
Hey guys.  Been lurking, but not posting much.  I woke up during the night with a funny feeling at my hernia site.  It is like a mild stitch?  I did call and leave a message with Dr. Sudan's nurse, but they are in clinic all day and I don't expect a return call until tomorrow.  I am scheduled to have this "football" sized hernia repaired on Thursday, Sept. 22.  I will be totally honest and say I am SCARED TO DEATH!  Dr. Sudan says it will be a painful recovery.  It is expected that I will be in the hospital 4 days if all goes well.  

I am a little disappointed in the fact that I am unable to get the panni done at the same time.  Insurance won't cover it, and I can't afford to pay out of pocket. 

I don't know if he will place mesh or not.  He is going to attempt to do the repair without placing mesh, but I really don't see how that will be possible as there is about a 4 inch gap between the right side of my abdomin and the left side of my abdomin. 

I also think I am a little depressed right now due to the thought of the recovery period.  When I had my complications three weeks after the DS during the endoscopy, I about died.  My DH even asked me to get all my stuff in order and write stuff down for him "Just In Case!"  I know there are risks everytime one has any kind of surgery, but this scares the crap out of me! 

Dr. Sudan expects quite a bit of scar tissue from the open incision done over a year ago to correct the leaks caused by the endoscopy.  I am worried that my intestines will be all mixed in with the scar tissue.  This is what I am thinking..They are only requiring me to be nothing by mouth after midnight on Wednesday.  I am planning on doing protein shakes early on Wednesday and then only clear liquids all afternoon till that night.  That way if my intestines are involved, at least it won't be such an ordeal.  Do you think I am totally stupid about that?  I discussed this with Dr. Sudan and he said he could require me to do the citrate?, but didn't think it was totally necessary.  I figure this is a decent compromise. 

If any of you have had an incisional hernia, please let me know about your recovery period.  My hernia is from my breast bone to my belly button. 

Thanks, Terri-lynne

Ht: 5'7"  HW/247ish   SW/234    CW/141-145  (Over 100 pounds lost in 8 months!)    
larra
on 9/19/11 12:38 am - bay area, CA
Terri-Lynne, I'm sorry you're going through all this. I think it's totally understandable for both you and your DH to be scared, given that you had such a terrible complication from the endoscopy.
     In reality, though, hernias are common, and an experienced surgeon like Dr. Sudan has surely repaired many, many of them. He has tons of experience with adhesions (scar tissue) and with the actual repair. You are right that mesh may be needed, but that's not a disaster. 
     Getting it done now will prevent the hernia from growing larger in the future, and also avoid the very serious potential complications of hernia incarceration (where something is stuck in the hernia) or strangulation (where something is stuck so long it loses it's blood supply and must be removed). You've made a good decision.

Larra
Not yo business OH
on 9/19/11 12:49 am
Thanks Larra,

One good thing is that the heria is so large, it can't incarcerate or get anything stuck in it.  Even my pea brain would fit in it!  lol

Thanks again.

T

scoob
on 9/19/11 1:08 am - Somerset, KY
Good luck sweets! Will be thinking about you.

I too have a very large hernia. I'll be watching for your updates, so don't forget about us.

Big hugs and warm wishes

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

Not yo business OH
on 9/19/11 3:04 am
Thanks Ruby.  Can't wait to have it done and over with.  We have a gym membership that has been really going to waste.  Maybe by 2012, I'll start getting in shape.  I will get back on here when I get home from the hospital.  For some reason, I can only view OH from my phone. 

scoob
on 9/19/11 4:40 am - Somerset, KY
Take it easy for a while after the repair. You don't want that damned thing to come back. I hate mine. Hopefully in another year I'll be getting it repaired. I'll be thinking about you honey! Good luck!

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

Emily F.
on 9/19/11 9:24 am
On September 19, 2011 at 10:04 AM Pacific Time, Terri -Lynne wrote:
Thanks Ruby.  Can't wait to have it done and over with.  We have a gym membership that has been really going to waste.  Maybe by 2012, I'll start getting in shape.  I will get back on here when I get home from the hospital.  For some reason, I can only view OH from my phone. 
 btw, if you have a medical reason you cannot work out, you send the doctor's letter to the gym and they should suspend your payments. You shouldn't be paying right now if you are not allowed to work.

I want to see pics of this thing!! :) 

Good luck and you are a tough cookie, you will do fine.
Not yo business OH
on 9/19/11 9:46 am
Emily.  We have a family membership and it includes my hubby, two girls, and mom.  Noone really goes, but we do use some of the services.... My daughter gets massages etc.... And my mom uses the hot tub occasionally. 

Thanks for the information though. 

(deactivated member)
on 9/19/11 3:57 am - Yorktown, VA
It's good to hear from you. 

It's understandable that you're a bit freaked out about having another surgery after all you had to go through last time.  Hopefully you've paid your complications dues and this one will be smooth sailing for you.

Do keep us updated on how things go! 
Not yo business OH
on 9/19/11 9:47 am
Thanks Tessy.  Miss you!