Frequent BM's and gas issues

bsharpy
on 9/19/11 12:49 pm - Columbia, TN
I agree with everything said, but being almost 9 yrs. post DS, it is totally what you eat, and take a Culturelle probiotic daily, on an empty stomach. Cheaper to get thru the internet, think Vitamin Shoppe in 4-5 pkgs. are $16 a pack, no tax or shipping, but you can buy anywhere. First  make sure you don't need Flagyl but never found that to be true. Always good to take with you if you're going on a trip, but just stick to protein, high fiber, low sugar, the probiotic and you'll see a difference.
jazzy31
on 10/4/11 8:54 am

Thank you to everyone who provided some guidance.  I saw my doctor last week and learned that my fat should be at no more than 20 grams a day.  The dr said I should have 3-4 BM's a day.  2 in the morning and 1-2 later in the day. 

I also learned that I was not taking my probiotic enough.  I was only taking one a day.  They suggested that I take it at least twice a day.  I started taking my probiotic at every meal and I feel soooo much better.  I've also been watching my fat and carb intake. My BM's are much more managable now.

I'm about to change my probiotic to the one that Garden of Life offers.  I'm trying that brand because my friend's father is a pharmacist and he suggested that I try  Garden of Life.  So, I just got a bottle in the mail today and I will let you know if I see a difference.  I had been using Gut Buddies or Puritan's Pride's brand. 

I leave on Sunday for Jamaica and I feel more confident about being away from the resort now. 

HW:330, SW: 280, CW: 161, GW: 165         

lovemypugs
on 10/4/11 9:46 am - VA
What doctor told you no more than 20 grams of fat per day? I personally would never follow that advice because the DS causes us to malasorb most of the fat we consume. Did your doctor think you had RNY?

Duodenal Switch on February 21, 2011

Surgery weight: 276; Current weight: 122; Height: 5'5

Plastics scheduled for 10/3/14: BL/BA, LBL, TL

Larissa P.
on 10/5/11 12:37 am - Denton, TX
That fat limit is plain WRONG. Your body NEEDS fat, and we absorb very little of it. You need to be eating MORE fat than pre-op to keep yourself healthy.
Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB
Blank Out
on 10/5/11 2:24 am
 Larissa, can't get over the change in your face!  You are stunning!

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

Elizabeth N.
on 10/5/11 1:30 am - Burlington County, NJ
The advice about fat is suspect. Some people do indeed get sensitive to excess fat, but such a hyperdramatically low fat diet is a lousy idea for a DSer unless there's hard evidence that the fat sensitivity warrants it.

With DS math, 20 grams of absorbed fat per day is a consumption of something more like 100 grams a day. That's how malabsorption works.

Drop your carb intake even further. Consider eliminating (or drastically controlling) gluten from your diet.

Fat would be the second thing to cut AFTER carbs and adding the probiotic therapy. Too little fat will give you lots of problems, too.

A good quality probiotic is very important. Use one that is kept refrigerated. I am fond of Ultimate Flora Critical Care when my bowels get out of proportion, though it's too much for maintenance for me.

jazzy31
on 10/5/11 1:21 am
I was thinking about that because I remember reading on OH that we need fat.  The dietician said if I'm having oily BM's then I'm consuming too many fats.  That's when she said I should have 20 grams a day.  How do I know how much I should have?

HW:330, SW: 280, CW: 161, GW: 165         

Kathleen F.
on 10/5/11 2:19 am
Considering that the recommended daily intake of fat for normal metabolisms is 65 grams, I would say 20 grams is way too low for anybody. Doesn't seem like the dietician is taking your altered metabolism in consideration. You need fat for various health reasons and more than the usual amount because of the malabsorption. When I had surgery the advise given to me was that "fat is your friend".  I have found that excess carbs were more the culprit than fat. I would cut way back on the carbs first before trying to reduce your fat intake.