Ricotta substitution?

kramer5
on 9/18/11 7:44 am - Washington, KS
I wanted to make the baked ricotta but my grocery store doesn't carry ricotta.  I can't stand cottage cheese but I wondered if it would work instead of ricotta and if so would it taste like cottage cheese.  Any ideas would be appreciated.
Dawn

RainyDayWoman
on 9/18/11 8:00 am - Fridley, MN
 I bet if you blended the cottage cheese or ran it through a food processor, the texture wouldn't bug you.
NoMore B.
on 9/18/11 9:04 am
 This might be a stupid question, but are you looking in the right section of the store?  I've never heard of a supermarket that doesnt carry ricotta.  Maybe you live in a very small town?

Look for the ricotta near the butter and yogurt, it might be there.

If not, you maybe could buy small curd cottage cheese and strain it, but if your store doesnt have ricotta I cant imagine the cottage cheese has many varieties.
butercup
on 9/18/11 9:10 am - Kennewick, WA
If you have a Walmart they carry it. You just might have to search a bit harder. I would suggest a good substitute such as small curd cottage cheese and some cream cheese and blend the hell out of it in a food processor or a mixer. My husband that HATES cottage cheese will eat that.
MARTINA P.
on 9/18/11 11:50 am - ROCKMART, GA
 I had problems finding it at Ingles today.  I found it close to the shredded cheese.  
MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        
HW: 315 CW: 117 GW:  First goal 150 met 3/23/2012, Second goal 135

Kayla B.
on 9/18/11 11:55 am - Austin, TX
...Are you sure?  Sometimes it is difficult to find and comes in a smaller container than you would think.  Check the gourmet cheese area and the regular cheese area.  Sometimes my grocery store hides it under the bagged shredded cheeses and not by the yogurt, cottage cheese, butter or anywhere you'd think it should be.  I can't imagine that no one in your town gets to make lasagna!

That said, I have seen italian recipes that use cottage cheese and they swear you can't tell it's cottage cheese because it melts down.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
J G.
on 9/18/11 12:16 pm
I've always used cottage cheese in my lasagne.  You can't tell the difference.
kramer5
on 9/18/11 1:48 pm - Washington, KS
My town is super tiny and we only have one grocery store and they said they just don't get enough call for it so they don't order it.  The nearest Walmart is 30 miles away but my husband works in that town so he's going to take a grocery list with him tomorrow to pick up some things that I can't get here, including ricotta cheese.

Thanks for all the advice!
Dawn

newyorkbitch
on 9/18/11 9:10 pm
Tell him to get full fat ricotta,  not part skim.  The part skim ricotta tastes like cardboard.
babbott
on 9/19/11 1:47 am - Cleveland, OH
Where is the recipe for baked ricotta?  That sounds yummy.