I had a scary morning....

Nissa_M
on 9/17/11 8:36 am - TX
This morning I woke up and felt fine. Got in the shower and at the end I started feeling nauseous. I got out and my ears started ringing and my stomach hurt. I sat on the toilet and the next thing I knew I was coming to face in the floor with lots of pain in my face. I got up got back to sitting and was just trying to register what happened.
A minute or so passed and my husband walked in to check on me. He heard a thud but thought I dropped a bottle of shampoo or something. So he could see by the swelling and scratches on my face that something happened.
I got dressed and we were off to the ER. They hooked me up to ekg, all kinds of monitors and an iv drip. All my vitals were good. My blood came back fine, but she said my urine showed a bad uti. I had almost no symptoms, I did suspect the beginning of a yeast infection, but no fever, no burning when using the restroom.
They couldn't find any other explanations for passing out. She said the infection could have caused a drop in bp or blood sugar, but both were fine at the hospital. Or that I got overheated in the shower, water wasn't too warm though. My iron was 10.6 I think which I'm on prescription iron for and that's actually up from the low 9's it was.
I called Dr Stewarts office and the on call said it didn't sound surgery related. I'm hoping I'll get to talk to Dr Stewart though after the weekend.

Anyway, has anyone experienced anything like this? Oh also they put me on cipiro?? Is this going to have any negative reactions?

Thanks.
Kayla B.
on 9/17/11 8:45 am, edited 9/17/11 8:46 am - Austin, TX
I think you were probably dehydrated and had a drop in blood pressure.

Cipro could give you diarrhea.

I'm assuming you mean your hemoglobin was 10, which is pretty bad.  It's probably going to be pretty difficult to come back from that.  You might look into getting a hematologist and iron infusion.  Oh, and if you were/are dehydrated, this artificially inflates your hemoglobin, so it's probably even lower...which is super crappy.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Nissa_M
on 9/18/11 7:24 am - TX

Thanks. Do you happen to know of a good hematologist? I'm in the Austin area as well.

Kayla B.
on 9/18/11 7:34 am - Austin, TX
Dr. Doner with Texas Oncology is mine and he's great so far.  Works near St. Davids North.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
NoMore B.
on 9/17/11 8:51 am
 The UTI could have been caused by the catheter after your surgery.  Hope you feel better.
Nissa_M
on 9/18/11 7:25 am - TX
Thanks. I am still not convinced it's a uti and I'm actually pretty certain it's a yeast infection. I'm going to see my pcp tomorrow. Hopefully she can help figure it out.
MajorMom
on 9/17/11 8:54 am - VA
I've seen people talk about this and think it's low blood pressure. I hope folks will chime in and I hope you feel better and get this figured out. The Cipro should just clear up the UTI for you. I've taken it and had no negative reactions. Make sure you stay hydrated.

Keep us posted.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

beth-28
on 9/17/11 10:41 am
I don't think you were dehydrated. I think that would have shown up in your bloodwork or urine. Perhaps you got up too fast (maybe vasovagal syncope)?
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

prettypixels
on 9/17/11 10:48 am
I'm so glad you're ok! How scary!!!
Elizabeth N.
on 9/17/11 12:11 pm - Burlington County, NJ
You're less than a month out from surgery. You are far from back to normal, so yeah, you're going to have weak moments and the occasional oddity.

I'm a bit of a fainter, have been for much of my life. Orthostatic hypotension, or the change in blood pressure that happens when you change positions, can do it to me, especially if I'm at all run down for any reason. The world swirls and goes grey-to-black depending on the severity. I almost always have enough warning so I can let myself down in some semi-controlled way.

If I were in your shoes, a few weeks out from surgery, taking in next to no nutrition, and had an infection to boot, passing out cold at some point would be just about guaranteed.

In addition to that kind of fainting, I get some oddball thing where I get ringing in my ears and bad dizziness that will make me faint. When that happens I know it's way past time to go to the chiropractor and get my neck adjusted. Snap, crackle, pop and it's all better instantly and stays that way for weeks. *shrug* (Yes, medical folks, I've had it fully evaluated. As my dad liked to say, "They examined my head and found nothing.")