***Friday Bites, Vites & Exercites***

Jennifer D.
on 9/16/11 11:41 pm
Hi everyone, I was told by friends in my weigh****chers group that all carbs turn into sugar. I was asking if it wasn't sugar or fibre and wasn't listed then what was it? (when the label says something like 26g carbs, 2g fibre, 16g sugar) They said it could be starch which also turns into sugar when digested. Do you know if this is true? Should I be considering the "gross" carb content as my carb intake - aiming for 20g or less a day..
MajorMom
on 9/17/11 12:11 am - VA
Keep in mind that DSrs can malabsorb about 40% of the complex carbs so trying to stay under 20 carbs a day may be overkill. I think Vitalady says she really jus****ches the sugar but do be aware of the total carbs. I think staying under 50 grams of carbs a day is more easily done and just as effective for a DSr.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Jennifer D.
on 9/17/11 1:32 am
Thanks Gina, I have seen posts that say we absorb all of the carbs we eat so I was worried, they were probably just trying to make a point. Do I stay under 50g total or 50g sugar/sugar alcohols?
                                      Jennifer
          Thank you Cheri and Holly!
       Think twice, cut once! I've had 3 surgeries now, RNY, VSG and DS .
                                Ask me about the DS or visit dsfacts.com
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
2011 - Full DS-August 24th
                HW 311   SW 306  CW 235  GW 150
MajorMom
on 9/17/11 1:42 am - VA
I think the local wisdom says we absorb 60% of the complex carbs and 100% of the sugar. So, staying around 50 total carbs a day in the losing phase is a pretty good goal IMO.

******GOAL*******

Join us on the
Lightweights Board!

yorkieGal
on 9/16/11 11:54 pm - Clermont, FL
Oh Goodness Jennifer - I certainly hope not otherwise you're not going to get much for the 20g!!lol
I have been a bit suspicious of this for a while. When I have tried to really low carb, these tortillas have always been in my food plan and I wonder if maybe they could be responsible for my slow weight loss recently when I have tried to lose my little bit of regain?????

anyway, I think I am going to use up the one's in the fridge and then stay off them for a couple of weeks and see if it makes any difference to my weight loss efforts!!

Yorkie xx

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

Jennifer D.
on 9/17/11 12:00 am
This morning I had a whole wheat wrap with bacon egg and cheese. I tore it so I only used the smallest piece necessary to hold the contents. I probably should avoid bread products completely until I reach goal :O
                                      Jennifer
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
yorkieGal
on 9/17/11 12:07 am - Clermont, FL
I think my view on this is that a little is better than depriving yourself, which in my case would lead to issues such as over eating later on.. for me, I try and think of an eating pattern that I have a chance of sustaining long term that is as low carb as I can make it without feeling as though I'm on a diet...I guess it's a matter of working out what suits you honey! The Vites & Bites thread certainly helps me and I think Gina is an angel for offering the daily advice and encouragement that she does....it certainly helps me enormously!!

btw - I am envious on the 20g, I can never get that low and keep it up, well done girlie ! mwah xxx

Yorkie xx

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

Jennifer D.
on 9/17/11 1:36 am
Yorkie : )
I am just a little over 3 weeks out. I think when I get to the point of maintaining it will be a lot different. I am really concerned about failing (being a revision) and sabotaging myself (like I would if I did not see the scale moving down). It's less difficult staying at 20g when you're not really eating - lol.
                                      Jennifer
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
feeder3565
on 9/17/11 1:06 am
Gina-I am in shock. You have changed your eating habits. I have not been on here in the longest time. We all change, and it's a good thing we do or some of us will not survive ya know. Why so much protein in the morning? You use to spread it out. Any new tips I should know? Karen  

MajorMom
on 9/17/11 1:39 am - VA
Yesterday was really an anomaly. I really haven't changed the way I normally, almost always eat. For some reason I just kept drinking that protein coffee...normally, I don't have 4 until lunchtime.

******GOAL*******

Join us on the
Lightweights Board!