Newbies...Please, Please Read

larra
on 9/18/11 12:46 am - bay area, CA
Rhonda, thank you for being such a good friend, and for posting this to help people you don't even know.
     The first month or 2 really suck. And as someone else pointed out, there is just no way, even with the best of pre-op education, to appreciate what it's going to feel like until you get there. It's hard to even sip. Water doesn't taste right. You may feel weak and crappy, I sure did.
      But you have to do whatever it takes to get through it and get to the good times. Try different brands of water, different temperatures, add lemon, try tea, etc etc. Keep the water with you day and night and keep sipping. If you do get dehydrated, well, that's why they have ER's, right? You will feel so much better once you are hydrated, you won't believe the difference.
     And eventually, it WILL get easier, and even further out you WILL be able to gulp water again, and it will taste right, and eating will be better.
     Please let us know that your friend is ok! At this point, she is so early out that any hydration/nutrition problems should be relatively easy to fix.

Larra
Diane Davis
on 9/18/11 5:09 am
Rhonda, I so appreciate this post!  That's what I've had to do is pull up my big girl panties and force myself to drink and work on my protein!

I just hope it's done in time so I don't have to have IV fluids!
 My  is Jewels.  Love her very much!            
AllieInOntario
on 9/18/11 6:30 am
And don't be afraid to experiment.   Lemon juice, lime juice are your friends!

I bought this Syntrax Cherry Nectar Protein.  Holy crap... SOOOO sweet it 's disgusting.  It wasn't until I mixed it with about 16 oz of diluted crystal light lemondade and about 1/2 a cup of lemon juice, did it even begin to get near my nose.  NOW, I can drink it.

The bonus, the extra liquid I add to the drinks, gives me about 20 oz extra per day.  

Something else I haven't seen mentioned often here is if you wake up in the morning feeling like you have a bit of a hangover... you are DEHYDRATED!  
Pick your surgery first, then your surgeon. Not the other way around.  
PS:... Potato chips should be a food group.

I'm tired of screwing with that damn health widget.
 I've lost 125 pounds to date!!!!
   And I'm UNDER 190 now!!! 

RhondaDenise
on 9/18/11 10:58 pm - Crossville, TN
Morning everyone,

Just wanted to say thank you for all the great responses.  As usal everyone on this wonderful board has come through.

I am sure when my friend reads this she will Thank you all also.

I for one am so glad to have this support system.  As K-9 has pointed out always learn new things from everyone on here.  (Thanks Carol, love you dearly).

My friend is still in the hospital.  At last report her DH said that her thiamin and niacin was very low.  She can make 100 % recovery right now she is at 80 - 85%.

I will be finding out more today.

Again,  Thank you to all of you.

Rhonda

TheGuptster
on 9/20/11 3:33 pm
Please help me if you can! I am about 35 days away from surgery. I completely understand the vitamin/water necessity. And I want to be organized several months, maybe even a year out with buying my vitamins. Can ANYONE please help me on a good, quality brand of multi-vitamin (has to be a soft cap per my doctor or powdered). The internet is completely overwhelming.

Any advice on where to buy bulk vitamins would be great. I want to be proactive and start out right, getting everything planned and prepared, so I don't come home from surgery disorganized!!!

Thank you for your help!!!

Stephanie: Having DS in T-Minus 35 days!!!
Elizabeth N.
on 9/20/11 9:21 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Hi Stephanie and welcome :-).

You are right on top of the MOST MARVELOUS supplement source around, if you live within a reasonable distance of Dr. S., namely Vitalady IN PERSON!! Go see them in Puyallup (sp?). Contact info is on their site, www.vitalady.com .

If you want to take a capsule multi, one that's decent is Twinlabs Daily One, no iron. You take 2-4 of them daily.

You do NOT need to bother with special "bariatric" formulations. Few if any of them have more than a fraction of what we need, and they are outrageously expensive.

Many of us use a Centrum-type multi for our basic multi. I use the Kirkland equivalent. It's a tablet and seems to work just fine.

Do PLEASE connect with Vitalady and get better supplement information and nutritional help than you will ever get from your surgeon's office. Michelle and Don know their stuff.