Newbies...Please, Please Read

RhondaDenise
on 9/17/11 6:07 am - Crossville, TN
To all newbies, I just have to share this.  My friend  had her DS 9 weeks ago.  Last night she went into the hospital for Dehydration, malnourishment and vitamin definciency. 

All things that could have been prevented if only she had done what she was supposed to do.

I had my DS 1 1/2 yrs ago, we talked at great length about everything that you have to do.  How important vitamins and water were.

Her statments were oh my it is so hard to get fluids in, YES IT IS.  BUT....suck it up and do it.  You chose to have this procedure, you know what you have to do.

She thought sucking on mandarin oranges would help, having ice cold grapes would help.  NO NO AND NO AGAIN, THEY DO NOT HELP..

If you hear it once you will hear it a million times, this is NOT EASY, it is NOT A SHORT CUT.  It is a major deal people.  MAJOR DEAL...MAJOR SURGERY.

In order to stay alive you MUST.......Drink lots and lots and lots and lots of water and you know what, just when you think you might have had enough, NOPE YOU NEED MORE.

In order to stay alive you MUST......Get your protein in.  Whether you drink it or eat it.  Protein is what helps you heal, protein nourishes you.  Yes we understand that some of those protein drinks SUCK THE BIG ONE.....but AGAIN....YOU CHOSE THIS.....Suck it up and DO IT.  Look around until you find something that is doable.

Listen, if you were a fruits & veggies kind of person before, than you wouldn't be needing this surgery.  You need the protein.  As you get further out, eat the protein you need with shakes just as a supplement.  The last thing you want to do is fill up your stomach with fruits & veggies, you have to remember that your stomach is a very small stomach now, why not fill it up with chicken & fish & beef & cheese & eggs & bacon??  Why waste the space with fruits & veggies?  Does that make any sense?  Later down the road experiment with fruits & veggies but not so early out.

Even being a year and some months out, there are days that it is a struggle but by golly I do it.

Thank you for letting me vent, I am worried about my friend, sometimes I feel like maybe I didn't help her along enough and that I could have done more.

Hopefully this stint in the hospital will scare her enough to get on the right track and do what she is supposed to do.

Friend (you know who you are), I know you will end up reading this and I am glad because I am sure there will be responses that you need to read.

In the meantime, I love you and always here for you

NOW.....Drink and eat. 

MajorMom
on 9/17/11 6:22 am - VA
You are a good friend, RhondaD.

Friend of RhondaD, listen to her! If you are having medical issues, go to the ER and contact your surgeon. If the DS lifestyle is hard for you and you need help, ask. There are tricks we can share that have helped us, don't be afraid to ask for help.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Elizabeth N.
on 9/17/11 6:27 am - Burlington County, NJ
I'm sorry your friend is in trouble. This is SUCH an important message for newbies!!!!

SURGERY IS HARD.  It's going to HURT. You will have:

--nausea
-- dry mouth
-- changed sense of taste and smell
-- pain
-- strange farts
--strange poop
--disrupted sleep
--weird thinking (due to a lot of things, but mainly due to the many drugs introduced to your system)

...And that's all just for starters.

Your LIFE WILL DEPEND ON GETTING ENOUGH HYDRATION. Later, it will depend on how you NOURISH YOURSELF, with food and supplements.

Yeah, some people have it easier than others. But guess what? SUCK IT UP AND DEAL. If you truly CANNOT get in 64 oz. of fluids, GET YOUR ASS TO THE ER. If your nausea is preventing anything from going down, GET IT TREATED. (quite probably by getting your dehydration treated)
You're a couple months out and can't swallow pills? Tough crap. Find other ways to get the stuff in.

YOU SIGNED ON FOR THIS. Yes, we all understand that it's hard. But YOU SIGNED ON FOR THIS. Yes, it's harder than you ever thought possible. But YOU SIGNED ON FOR THIS.

Get the picture? Now go back and REREAD the links in my sig.

Heather E.
on 9/17/11 6:30 am
Rhonda, you are a good friend.  Don't beat yourself up over this - you have tried to help your friend, now the rest is up to her. 

Newbies, listen to this story and heed its warning!  It's not meant to scare anyone, but the reality is that if you don't follow the rules, you will get sick...who wants that?  Do what you need to do to take care of your health - wasn't the main purpose of having the DS to get healthy in the first place??

~Heather~

HW: 249/ CW: 130/ GW: 140

Elizabeth N.
on 9/17/11 6:33 am - Burlington County, NJ
Rhonda, STOP beating yourself up right now. She SIGNED ON FOR THIS and she ****** HERSELF up. Now she has to make some choices. They are HERS to make. She has the information at hand if she reads here. Now she can either quit whining and be a grownup or she can stay on the path to death.

It's HER CHOICE.

Fran-I Am
on 9/17/11 8:38 am
Thank you Rhonda for sharing this!

SW 1012/11 265#  CW 10/10 142#
RKLC2002
on 9/17/11 8:57 am - Omaha, NE
This is great information.  

It sounds like it's especially tough to ge****er in at the beginning since our stomach is so small.   Does it get easier to ge****er in the farther out that we get?   

5' 10"    HW= 327   SW=319 lbs        CW=200  (lowest was 180)    GW=170

No regrets with my DS!!!  

Open DS with Dr. Anthone  - October 14, 2011
Ventral Hernia repair/panniculectomy/hysterectomy - Nov 2012; 
Bowel Blockage due to hysterectomy and adhesions - Feb 2013;
Ventral Hernia repair with mesh - Dec 2013

Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/17/11 10:07 am - Tuvalu
On September 17, 2011 at 3:57 PM Pacific Time, RKLC2002 wrote:
This is great information.  

It sounds like it's especially tough to ge****er in at the beginning since our stomach is so small.   Does it get easier to ge****er in the farther out that we get?   

Yes...I down water all day long.
Stephanie C.
on 9/20/11 11:15 pm - nashville, TN
Yes! One thing that took me by suprise right after surgery was my aversion to water. Prior to surgery I didn't think I would have a problem with that as all I drank was water everyday anyway. However, the first 3 months after surgery, plain water did not sit right on my new stomach at all. The ladies on the board suggested adding Crystal Light to it and it worked like a dream. By month 3 I could handle plain water again and now I get 9 to 12 cups a day in without even thinking about it.

Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/17/11 9:09 am - Tuvalu
Piling on...

Assume that you sleep 8 hours a night (that's a dream, but it makes the math easier.)

That leaves 16 hours for you to get in 64 ounces of water.

64 / 16 = 4

Four ounces per hour.

Once ounce every 15 minutes.

Get out a shotglass...or buy a few of them (I think I'll get some for my sister for her post-op time) and get out a timer or set the one on your microwave or cell phone.

Every fifteen minutes you MUST get down that ONE OUNCE of water.  You can drink MORE...but not less.

This is doable.