Has anyone not been able to stop losing?

DianaRR
on 9/16/11 7:37 am - CA
Is sounds like you have a tough row to hoe. I hope the cause for all the other surgeries has been fixed and I hope that things get easier for you to manage.
What is Creon?

Emily F.
on 9/16/11 4:33 am
How tall are you? Are you 20 lbs below normal bmi? A size zero might not be horrible if you are short, if you are 5'10" that's another story.

lexusmn
on 9/16/11 5:31 am - Forest Lake, MN
I'm 5'6" and not I don't think I'm below normal yet getting close though.

Emily F.
on 9/16/11 5:38 am
On September 16, 2011 at 12:31 PM Pacific Time, lexusmn wrote:
I'm 5'6" and not I don't think I'm below normal yet getting close though.
 I wouldn't be too worried about it just yet. I think things 'settle'. 
Julie R.
on 9/16/11 4:46 am - Ludington, MI

I've been on this and another board for 5.5 years, and I have seen it happen VERY infrequently.   If you continue to lose, you can always go on pancreatic enzymes, but if I had a buck for every person coming on here singing the "I'm getting too thin" song, and then found out they bounced back a year or two later, I'd be a rich woman.   I was also in that category.   My lowest BMI was 19.9, still not "underweight," and I stayed there for about two days.    My current BMI is 21.1, and I've been there for 3.5 years.   According to your profile, your BMI is 21.5.  If that's what it is, you're just fine.   Many of us look a bit scrawny for a while (my 2's were getting huge, but I never went so far to get a 0) and now, I wear a 2 or 4 depending on whether it's a petite or not.   I'm 5'4, BTW.   My sister is 5'10 and wearing a 2, and she is wayyyyyy too skinnyl (sorry Jodi, you know I've told you that to your face, if you're reading this, LOL), so it's all relative.

Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Victorious_one
on 9/16/11 5:36 am - South Central, PA

BMI is a better guide than clothing size, and clothing size is a better indicator than weight.

If your BMI is normal, I wouldn't worry about it.  

I'm 5' 7 1/2 " (the half inch is important!) and about 143 lbs.  I wear a size 4 in jeans and dresses, and a 2 in some slacks.  My BMI is about 22--almost midrange for normal.  I'm less nervous about losing too much and more nervous about running out of clothes to wear!  2s and 4s aren't as available as I thought they'd be.  

I think the recommendation of more shakes/protein and Creon are good ones.  What does your surgeon or PCP say?

I agree that if you do face regain, you'll be happy that you went so low.  That's why I don't worry about it at all.

Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
Julie R.
on 9/16/11 7:51 am - Ludington, MI
 One more thing I wanted to add is that some people panic and start adding carbs to gain or stop losing weight.   This sometimes makes the situation worse, because some carbs, like wheat or sugar, at this stage out, will make us poop even more....and thus lose more weight.   If you're going to eat carbs, I'd stick with things that don't cause problems, like potatoes, etc.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

kirmy
on 9/16/11 9:41 am - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
Guilty as charged....

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.
lexusmn
on 9/16/11 3:47 pm - Forest Lake, MN
Honestly I can eat anything and not gain weight! I eat way more carbs that anything and no matter how hard I try to watch them it seems like the only things I can stomach and not bother me too much except I CAN NOT do ANY pasta, not much white flour, or processed foods, no yogurt, no potatoes, no tuna, no eggs, and lots more I can't tolerate. I eat them cuz I'm starving but with consequences. I eat mostly fruit and veggies, my protein comes from shakes and on ocassion from foods. I try to eat at least 90 grams in shakes within 3 times a day. I'm stumped really!!

kirmy
on 9/16/11 9:27 pm - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
Ahhh why eat veg? Seriously you should be forcing yourself to eat over 100grams of protein a day.  Fruit and veg are going to simply malabsorb and serve no real purpose at all.  Sure eat them for taste but they should play a very minor part in a Ds diet.  Your vites are supplementing the trace elements and vitamins you used to absorb from them.

Hon don't take this the wrong way but your diet is ****** up. You need to go totally back to basics and eat ONLY protein for every meal over the course of a day.  Work in some simple carbs like potato and work in lots of fats in the form of cream cheese etc.  You may have a week of adjustment where you're ****ting through the eye of a needle but it sounds as if your body is needing this.  Tuna and other oily fish give you shed loads of protein.  I worry for you.

Have you tried treating yourself for bacterial overgrowth?  Take 200mg of Flagyl daily for ten days and see if the BM's slow down.  Also I keep banging on about it but you can get **** tonne of protein in a good home made should and it lasts for days in the fridge. You can even smuggle potato into it and not really suffer the consequences.

I think you seriously need a scope to find out what is going on in your GI tract to make eating simple food this difficult so far out.  You should be in smooth sailing grounds by now.

Ignore if you've tried all the above already.

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.