Any other road warriors out there?

hollyweasel
on 9/16/11 9:43 am - MI
Thanks Linda,

Great tips - I am actually a little nervous about the flying and feeling gross.  Flying never bothered me before - but then again, milk didn't bother me before and neither did eating certain things and they sure do now!  I am sure I will be fine after that first flight and I get my 'airlegs' again.

I am very fortunate because 9 times out of 10 I have a rental car and I am in a major city that has things like Whole Foods or nicer places.  It's only once in a blue moon I have to travel internationally where I don't understand the language (Portugese or German) or I go to some po-dunk town that happens to have a gas station that doubles as a grocery store. lol.

I did Atkins for a while before the surgery.  I have Diamond status at Hilton and Hyatts - and although I love love love my Hyatts, the breakfast in the regency club is --- carb-o-rific.  However, I have had a lot of luck just telling the front desk clerk that I can't have carbs and they will generally give me club access as well as a full buffet breakfast to get some eggs.  In fact - thats how I ended up talking to someone who had the surgery in the first place.

I think I may already be in a little bit of a phase as you discussed.  In the morning everything seems appealing - by lunch I don't want to eat anything, dinner is not a chance.  But maybe I am still healing up and will change.

Great to hear about another local!!  I have a feeling I will be spending some quality time at the Ruby Tuesday's in the Delta DTW building. :)  Hope to run in to you at the airport sometime!

- Holly

DS Surgery in Detroit Medical Center on 8/17/11.
Start Weight: 386 

linda1814
on 9/16/11 12:30 pm
If we're ever there at the same time, I'll get you into the Delta lounge.  I usually duck in there to take some cheese for my flight (they have individually wrapped cheddar or monterrey jack) or peanut butter and get something to drink and hang out.  

I'd also love to have a get together sometime with other locals.  

Keep in touch!

My Macronutrient Breakdown

Daily Average for the Last 30 Days

Like this widget? Get your own at ObesityHelp.com

NoMore B.
on 9/16/11 12:39 pm
 I'm in D**** least once a week!  I'm a regular at the DTW airport Marriott, too.
linda1814
on 9/16/11 12:54 pm
 I'll keep an eye out for you although I am usually oblivious to everyone around.... athough I did recognize Dr. Oz there last night.  

My Macronutrient Breakdown

Daily Average for the Last 30 Days

Like this widget? Get your own at ObesityHelp.com

hollyweasel
on 9/17/11 12:15 am - MI
We will all have to meet up sometime!  I generally fly Tues-Friday.

DS Surgery in Detroit Medical Center on 8/17/11.
Start Weight: 386 

elixir
on 9/16/11 4:42 pm, edited 9/16/11 4:47 pm - MI
I can eat just about anywhere. Applebee's has a yummy Philly cheese-steak burger; I order it without the bun. They also have grilled shrimp. At Mongolian BBQ... you can fill your bowl up with lots or protein and a few veggies of your choice. I like shrimp, mushrooms, bean sprouts and chili-garlic sauce. Qdoba has delicious Mexican gumbo that you can get with light rice (or no rice). I also like to get the pork nachos and just eat the toppings. They put the toppings together in a big bowl and give you a bag of chips to eat it with (if you're getting it to go.) I get a side of guac and my kid and brother eat the chips and guac and I eat the toppings from the bowl with a fork. I went to Joe's Crab Shack for the first time a couple of weeks ago and ate crab legs until I was content and walked out with a happy, dreamy smile on  my face. I went to Arby's and ordered a roast beef sandwich sans the bun. They put the meat into a plastic container for me. I went to MickeyD's one morning and got an Egg McMuffin and ate the ham, egg & cheese off it and threw away the muffin. I don't do well w/white flour. Or sugar either for that matter. I get sickness, nausea, bloating, gas and cramps so I stay away from those two. And since there are so many other options it's not a problem.

(Edited to add: I tried some chicken tenders from Checkers and the flour coating make my stomach rumble and made me feel very uncomfortable. Same result with a piece of fried chicken that I picked up at the grocery store deli. Not a good choice for me.)

Happy travels!
 I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor