What, if anything, do we need to tell the dentist?

larra
on 9/16/11 11:39 am - bay area, CA
I told my dentist. He and the hygienist have been very happy for me, but it hasn't affected my dentition or my care in any way.

Larra
geutenmorgan
on 9/16/11 11:37 pm
Yes the dentist needs to know. It is a medical record and if something were to happen in their office, they would need to know your medical history. Many different health conditions are first presented in the oral cavity, so having a complete health history is vital to make correct evaluations. Vitamins and medicines need to be accurate.
mel1964
on 9/19/11 1:05 am
my dentist asked me when was the last time he saw me because he recognized the name but he said he did not know the lady sitting in the chair!!! it was me! i noted that i had surgery in my chart but he said he saw me after the surgery and i look totally different. i also have to have to have two teeth pulled and both were capped, sigh!

P. Poster
on 9/19/11 2:01 am
 If you are having any type of major dental work (even a routine cleaning if you tend to bleed a lot) you  need to make them aware of your supplements, particularly vitamins K and E (these both have to do with clotting).  It's also wise to know that your metabolism may make certain medications they use less effective, or not last as long- thus requiring a higher dose, or repeat doses.  If you are facing oral surgery, definitely tell them about all your supplements, your malabsorption (for several reasons- antibiotics, pain meds, healing capabilities, ect) and any other health issues you may have (no matter how minor they may seem to you).  Your healing will be affected by your protein status, so make sure you are getting enough in and have good stores there.  

As a personal note- I just went in for a major dental overhaul.  After seeing a very poor dentist for the past 3 years (I wasn't aware at how poor of care I was receiving as I was using sedation dentistry...  GRRR) I was in need of root planning and scaling, have my first cavity, need my protective sealants removed and replaced, and need enamel rejuvination on SIX teeth!  Also need to have some minor oral surgery to correct a tongue tie that is now causing my gums to receed...  In any case, throughout all of this, I have discovered that novocaine and nitrous do not work as well, or as long for me as they used to.  Thankfully, my dentist is VERY receptive to this and will continuously check to see how my pain is and administer more as needed.  One benefit?  No more full day numbness from novocaine.  I was good to go after about 2 hours!