What, if anything, do we need to tell the dentist?

SweetnessandGrace
on 9/16/11 2:41 am - ID
Please don't hurt me! (I know I need to tell my dentist that, but I was actually begging the vets not to light my ass on fire).  I TRIED using the search feature, but I don't seem to have any kind of good luck with that.  Doesn't matter what I want to know, I can't find it using search.  So...I'm going to the dentist and just want to know if there is anything about my new body habitus that he needs to know.  Tank ewe!

HEAVEN IS THE PLACE WHERE YOU GO TO MEET ALL THE DOGS YOU HAVE LOVED.

Elizabeth N.
on 9/16/11 2:47 am - Burlington County, NJ
I don't know that we talk terribly regularly about dental stuff. So I don't think it's your search skills or even the crappy search function.

I had a nice conversation with my dentist and hygienist early out, told them all about it. They basically came to the conclusion that it sounded like they needed to be especially alert to any signs of bone loss or tooth...um, I think it's tooth demineralization or something like that....in addition to the usual checking for changes that occur with aging.

Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/16/11 2:48 am - Tuvalu

S/he will notice--because you lost weight in your mouth, too, and it's easier to hold your not-as-chubby cheeks, that you have lost weight.

One thing that some of us have encountered is that crowns, if you have any, no longer go to where they need to go because even your gums have lost weight.  So there is an increased chance of caries--cavities--at the top (on an upper) or at the bottom) on a lower of an old crown because there is now a gap between the gum and the crown.

I suppose that also applies to the roots of teeth, but I'm getting pretty close to all crowns here, so I don't know about that.

Also, he can't put the chair all the way back or I get queasy.
MajorMom
on 9/16/11 3:22 am - VA
They wanted to have all my meds and vitamins listed in my chart. They also noted when and what kind of WLS I had. Malabsorption was of interest to them. I also informed them when I was diagnosed with osteoporosis and what meds I was on to treat that.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

TaliTali
on 9/16/11 7:06 am - Sammamish, WA
The only thing I have found post-op when going to the dentist is that I metabolize novacaine VERY fast.

I now require 3x the amount of novacaine as I did previously and it wears off within 2 hours. It means my dentist has to give me more at the start and work fast to get the work done, else he has to give me more.

Beyond that, nothing changed. They've never asked about medication or supplements but if they did I'd tell them.
Catnip
on 9/16/11 8:33 am - Ottawa, Canada
 Have you vomited alot as part of your DS recovery?

I was a puker, so my dentist made sure i got extra fluoride treatments in case the enamel on my teeth was effected.

CNC

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

Emily F.
on 9/16/11 9:09 am
Well, I thought my dentist needed to know about the surgery bc of the calcium issue. I told the dentist hygienist and the first damn thing out of her mouth is that I'm going to get a boob job and leave my husband........I still see her every time. It drives me batty, she is such an idiot.
lauralisi
on 9/16/11 11:24 am - Dona Ana, NM
So, because you want to get healthy, you forsake your vows and abandon your nusband? What a moron! 
SweetnessandGrace
on 9/16/11 9:10 am - ID
Thank you all!  I feel better prepared to face the driller than I did before.  I'm a bit of a puker, my crowns do seem to not fit well and are loose, I hadn't thought about metabolizing novocaine differently, and I guess some supplements should be noted as they tend to make our blood clot slower.  Thanks again!

HEAVEN IS THE PLACE WHERE YOU GO TO MEET ALL THE DOGS YOU HAVE LOVED.

RKLC2002
on 9/16/11 10:25 am - Omaha, NE
I was wondering the same thing!!   : )

5' 10"    HW= 327   SW=319 lbs        CW=200  (lowest was 180)    GW=170

No regrets with my DS!!!  

Open DS with Dr. Anthone  - October 14, 2011
Ventral Hernia repair/panniculectomy/hysterectomy - Nov 2012; 
Bowel Blockage due to hysterectomy and adhesions - Feb 2013;
Ventral Hernia repair with mesh - Dec 2013