OT - any good job searching tips, books, sites etc??

yorkieGal
on 9/16/11 7:33 am - Clermont, FL
Hi Guys, so a lot of you know that I have had a really big decision to make about whether to move back to the Uk permanently or not..the jury is still not back but I am leaning towards staying here in Fl, getting my Resume done and job hunting. My experience is in DCF, more specifically adoption & fostering, child protective services and adolecents.

Anyone know of any good books, sites etc on job hunting here....we do it quite differently in the Uk in that we have a certain newspaper and day we all read it, certain publications where the majority of our jobs are advertised and lots of agencies that place us in positions. I am anxious to get back to work asap!!
thanks in advance for any help you can offer!!

Yorkiexx

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

(deactivated member)
on 9/16/11 8:36 am
Federal jobs can be found at http://www.usajobs.gov/

I think books are out of date as soon as they are printed.

Many states are going to a web-based job listing as well.

I know the Feds and many places are using behavioral type questions in their interviews. Here are some examples.  Think about each one and have a solid answer to each.  Don't always focus on good outcomes when having had dealt with a difficult situation. Many times, the answers demonstrate that you know it's a no-win situation.

Hope these help! And much luck on your job hunting.
Hugs,
Ratkity

Here is one list of sample behavioral-based interview questions:

• Describe a situation in which you were able to use persuasion to successfully convince someone to see things your way.

• Describe a time when you were faced with a stressful situation that demonstrated your coping skills.

• Give me a specific example of a time when you used good judgment and logic in solving a problem.

• Give me an example of a time when you set a goal and were able to meet or achieve it.

• Tell me about a time when you had to use your presentation skills to influence someone's opinion.

• Give me a specific example of a time when you had to conform to a policy with which you did not agree.

• Please discuss an important written document you were required to complete.

• Tell me about a time when you had to go above and beyond the call of duty in order to get a job done.

• Tell me about a time when you had too many things to do and you were required to prioritize your tasks.

• Give me an example of a time when you had to make a split second decision.

• What is your typical way of dealing with conflict? Give me an example.

• Tell me about a time you were able to successfully deal with another person even when that individual may not have personally liked you (or vice versa).

• Tell me about a difficult decision you've made in the last year.

• Give me an example of a time when something you tried to accomplish and failed.

• Give me an example of when you showed initiative and took the lead.

• Tell me about a recent situation in which you had to deal with a very upset customer or co-worker.

• Give me an example of a time when you motivated others.

• Tell me about a time when you delegated a project effectively.

• Give me an example of a time when you used your fact-finding skills to solve a problem.

• Tell me about a time when you missed an obvious solution to a problem.

• Describe a time when you anticipated potential problems and developed preventive measures.

• Tell me about a time when you were forced to make an unpopular decision.

• Please tell me about a time you had to fire a friend.

• Describe a time when you set your sights too high (or too low)

yorkieGal
on 9/16/11 10:47 pm - Clermont, FL
Hey You, Thanks SO much for that advce. Those questions are so helpful both in terms of interview prep but also just in terms of thinking about my professional development and my achievements and areas I can afford to focus on in the future - You're a star sweetie!!

Yorkie xx

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

neacres100
on 9/16/11 8:39 am - NJ
www.indeed.com is a good website.  it brings all the job openings that are advertised on websites and newspapers.  you just neeed to put in the zip code and search words.  It will bring up results for you. 

have you tried the website careerbuilders?  that is another website similar to monster.com 

Erroded lapband removed 12/28/09, stomach repaired, infected port cut out.

WLS done on Dec 14th, 2010.WOOHOO!!
I survived & I'm alive!  Dr. Gagner is my life saver!
no_more_rolls
on 9/16/11 8:27 pm - Jackson, MI
Here is the link to Florida's state job search website.

https://jobs.myflorida.com/index.html

Good luck!
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

yorkieGal
on 9/16/11 10:52 pm - Clermont, FL
Thanks Guys, I am in the process of having my resume professionally written and once its complete I will start posting it on Monster and career bulder etc.
I guess its kind of anxiety provoking for me as I have been self employed for thr last 4 years but I have over 18 years social work experience and I am positive that once I get my fet under the table I will be fine !! I am really committed to my professional development. Now I have sold my business, once I get a job I am going to invest in my future by enrollling next year in a Part time master in Social work program!! It will be 3-4 yrs of hard work but SOm worth it. I know my late husband would be proud of me for staying here and making it work!!

Thanks to you all for your advice and support and feel free to message me if you think of any tips or ideas - all are very welcome and appreciated!

Yorkie xx

GloryG
on 9/17/11 3:45 am
Hi Yorkie,
These days we talk about more than resumes. We talk about personal branding. You will want to create a profile on Linked In as well as your resume. Also, your primary source of job leads will be through networking. Here is a website that has a ton of resources on it. You will also find in the left hand column some resources for networking by state. There are also good articles on every topic related to the job search. That site is: http://www.job-hunt.org/ I hope this helps!
mylittleblackdress
on 9/17/11 4:38 am - FL
State of Florida jobs are on MyFlorida.com  The site can be a little tedious to get through but once you get down to the job listings you can search by desired County.  I even think there are city jobs listed there as well.  Good luck!
(deactivated member)
on 9/17/11 6:48 am - Woodbridge, VA
I second www.indeed.com - it pulls from Monster, Career Builder, HotJobs, USAJobs, etc.
yorkieGal
on 9/19/11 1:04 am - Clermont, FL
Thanks so much for the info guys - I am getting a jump on linkedin right now!! Love my DS family!!

Yorkie xx