Clomid dosage after DS

newyorkbitch
on 9/15/11 7:31 am, edited 9/15/11 7:36 am
Bonnie,  injectable meds can be given in very low doses.  They are not "much stronger" it depends on the dose, and on your FSH level.

Justin,  Menopur is a brand name - it is a combination of FSH and LH.  Repronex is another brand name for the same thing.

Follistim and Gonal-F (also brand names) do not have the LH in them.

Bonnie,  tubal blockage is an indicaton for IVF.  I think you are wasting your time and money doing anything else.  And time is not on your side.

Bonnie R.
on 9/15/11 7:44 am - Stratford, CT
 Great info. I will talk to the doc about injectables since that makes more sense for me with the DS malabsorption anyway. I'll find out from them if it makes sense given all my test results.
newyorkbitch
on 9/15/11 7:57 am, edited 9/15/11 7:58 am
Bonnie be VERY CAREFUL about who you see.  

If your doc is not familiar with low dose injectable protocols (they involve more than just injections),  GO ELSEWHERE.

Why didn't your RE talk to you about low does injectable cycling???

And do some reading about injectable cycles. 

Please consider a consult with Dr Tortoriello in Manhattan.

Unless you are being seen at Yale.

Please consider IVF soon.

Bonnie R.
on 9/15/11 11:18 am - Stratford, CT
Are you speaking of someone in particular?  My doctors are very well regarded and have a very well put together practice. 

IVF is $15,000 a cycle.  I have NO insurance coverage for this.  Although I hate to make money an issue in this, it is. If we can safely get pregnant in a cycle or two with clomid and IUI, we are going to go that way.   

newyorkbitch
on 9/15/11 11:48 am, edited 9/15/11 11:49 am
IVF is NOT necessarily $15,000 a cycle.  It depends entirely on the medications and dosages,  if you are doing low stims or not,  where you are going, your issues,  etc.

I work in this field.  I have for a long time.  And I've been a patient at multiple IVF centers.

The issue is, is clomid safe for you without very careful monitoring and is the monitoring enough?  If you end up responding on the right ovary to the Clomid, and you have multiple mature follicles,  will you be strong enough to NOT go through with the IUI, because of the risk of multiples?

And if you don't get pregnant in "a cycle or two" is IVF your plan B?  It has to be...

Bonnie don't wait past "a cycle or two" to move on to IVF.  You do not have time,  given your age.

I know how difficult it is.   Believe me,  I know. 

And don't be so sure your "doctors are very well regarded."  How do you know?  And do not look to their stats - they are so easily manipulated - they are self-reported!

If you want to PM me their names,  I can tell you if they are the right place for you and your issues.

Bonnie you know how here on OH we are constantly talking about doctors that have no idea how to follow up,  how people so easily choose the wrong surgeon, how different surgeons do procedures differently, even procedures that aren't what people expect,  etc etc....reproductive endocrinology is no different.  You have to do A LOT of your own research.

Are you on ivfc?  If not,  you should be.  ivfconnections - get on that discussion board.

Bonnie R.
on 9/15/11 11:58 am - Stratford, CT
 I have several friends who have been to them.  Including a friend who has been to every well known center from here to Colorado.  

You are right.  Not sure I would be able to say no if I have multiple follicles, but being an intelligent woman with a supportive partner, I'm sure I can make that necessary decision.

IVF is our plan B.  

I'm not going to respond to you anymore as I can see no response will assure you I am intelligent and making good choices. Based on what you have said though, I will be doing additional investigations to be sure I have all the information.

Thank you for your input.
newyorkbitch
on 9/15/11 12:23 pm
Good luck!

Just bear in mind that lots of intelligent people get less than the best medical advice - we see that here on OH every day!

drgreene1096
on 9/18/11 4:20 am - Alexandria, IN
Bonnie,

I am also using clomid, post DS.  I am 36.  I have 2 children pre-ds...my first, was a clomid baby, but she was born sleeping at 6 months.  My 2nd, was also a clomid baby, born full term in 2002.  I had my ds in 2005 and got divorced in 2008 and remarried in 2010.  My husband is 30 and would like to have a child of his own.  We have taken clomid for 4 cycles (not in a row).  We have taken 3 50 mg cycles and 1 100 mg cycle.  We took 2 50mg cycles, a 100 mg cycle in a row with no success (not sure we were taking clomid properly for my cycle length) and then took a break for about 6 months and just started this last cycle again, back at 50mg.  I am due to start on 9/22. 

I had not thought of the malabsorption issue....I will have to discuss it with my ob/gyn and also my surgeon. 

I hope you figure out what your needs are and you keep doing what is right for you and your family! 

I look forward to seeing a pregnant post from you in the future!

Danielle ~ GRDS~ Dr. Ara Keshishian ~ 7/5/05

SW~336
CW~126
GW~136

10 pounds under goal!! 

"
When life hands you lemons, stuff them down your bra to make your boobs look bigger."

Emily F.
on 9/18/11 4:40 am
Good luck Bonnie. Fingers crossed for ya.