Tell Me About Popcorn

BBoop
on 9/15/11 10:06 am
I would love to eat me some popcorn...but the kind I have has like 37 carbs...now I know some of you eat this slathered in butter.  Does the butter help the transit time or what?  Can anybody explain this to a vet, yes, I'm a vet but I've been avoiding popcorn...until now (maybe).

B
walter A.
on 9/15/11 10:33 am - lafayette, NJ
i eat it occasionally, no big deal, but then I eat anything I want really, my sleeve I believe is larger than most and having my fundi on top makes it more forgiving on any reflux, actually i don't even burp. 
beemerbeeper
on 9/15/11 11:24 am - AL
As far as I can tell popcorn loaded with butter is not only "free" but helps me lose weight.  I think it is the combination of the fiber and the butter. 

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 9/15/11 11:38 am
BBoop-

You're a DSer!  Enjoy your freedom and eat the popcorn with lots of butter!

It is a whole grain complex carb!
(deactivated member)
on 9/15/11 12:28 pm - Yorktown, VA
I buy the super-buttery kind and then melt a ****ton more butter in the microwave and pour it over the popcorn before devouring the entire bag.

Is that what you wanted to know?  LOL!
J G.
on 9/15/11 3:50 pm
Tessy, I've never bought the buttery kind.  Does it taste artificial?  Is there a certain brand you buy?  Thanx for your help. --Jenny
(deactivated member)
on 9/15/11 10:46 pm - Yorktown, VA
It tastes fine to me., but I'm not picky.  My brother LOVES the "movie theater butter" one.  I think we tend to get Orville Redenbacehr.
Nissa_M
on 9/15/11 12:35 pm - TX
How far out does one need to be for popcorn? Just on a regular diet?
Julie R.
on 9/15/11 10:14 pm - Ludington, MI
I waited until I was about six months out....maybe four (but just a bit).   Now I eat it like....every day, LOL.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Switched4Life
on 9/15/11 2:55 pm
     I love popcorn.  I avoided it for a few months after I had the DS, as I was concerned with keeping my carb intake as low as possible, of course.  But as the weight was melting off rapidly, I finally decided to indulge my taste for the stuff.

I was a bit concerned.  I had transitioned to solid foods pretty quickly after surgery, but I had mental visions of the popcorn cutting up and destroying my newly configured tummy.  So I took a few handfuls, chewed the popcorn up, and swallowed. 

All was fine.  And Popcorn was back as one of my special treats.  I have been at a perfect weight since less than a year after surgery (half my pre-op weight) three years ago, and eat popcorn "slathered in butter" once or twice a week.  It seems fine, and I never notice anything adverse, bowel-wise, whenever I have it.

Michael