OT--Dog gone nuts

(deactivated member)
on 9/15/11 3:25 am - TX
I cuuld use a little guidance from Dog-knowledgable types:

As most of you know, we are owned by a Wire Fox Terrier who deigns to allow our existance because we share our bacon on occasion.

She has recently become quite fond of almonds (especially flavored ones), pecans, walnuts and so on.  Usually she simply sits and gazes at Steve until he acquieses and gives her one.  These are shelled nuts.  We do have a bowl of nuts en shell sitting out for occasional munchies.

However, I have developed the bad habit of crating her before I leave on a short errand and not latching the door.  She will usually leave the crate and curl up on the bed, no harm, no foul.  

The past week though, I've come home to find nuts in odd places.  Either we have a squirrel or the dog is standing on the couch and selecting them from the bowl.  She doesn't seem to have cracked any shells yet--she's gone for hazelnuts and macadamias rather than almonds or walnuts.  They don't even have serious teethmarks in them, like she got it carried it somewhere and decided it wasn't worth the effort.

So. . .do I need to be worried about her nut fetish?  If what I'm finding are the ones she couldn't break into, do I need to be concerned about the ones she might be?   
* Nicole *
on 9/15/11 3:36 am
Welcome to Squirrel dog ownership.

My dog hides food and certain dog treats to have something for later (even though he has free feeding). Pizza crust and buns are his favourite to stowaway. Sometimes other things like pig ears and knuckle bones. To be found under pillows in couches, in the laundry pile.

No real rational explanation for him other than he was a stray for the beinging of his life (runt of litter that somebody tried to kill) but 3 years later he's still doing it. We do find though if we share sooner rather than later he will not do it as often.

DS Aug 15th,2005 @ goal, living life and loving it.

"An Arabian will take care of its owner as no other horse will, for it has not only been raised to physical perfection, but has been instilled with a spirit of loyalty unparalleled by that of any other breed."

(deactivated member)
on 9/15/11 4:50 am - TX
I haven't found stashes anywhere, just the occasional nut.  It honestly feels like it is a game. 

Yesterday, I got caught at the lab having my one year's drawn and was an hour longer returning home than I'd planned.  I came in the front door to find the toilet brush lying right in the walkway.  She didn't chew on it, just found it, carried it to the front door and left it there--like a commentary on my pet-parentling skills.  That was also when I found the first hazelnut.  Lying in the living room, I thought at first she'd had a very minor poo accident. 

Ran out to get the boys after school and came home to a hazelnut in the hallway.

This morning, I took the boys to school and came home to a macadamia next to the couch. 

Guess I need to always latch the crate...or at least shut the door of the room the crate is in.
beemerbeeper
on 9/15/11 4:10 am - AL
As a dog trainer this is the easiest dog problem I've heard of yet.  Put the nuts where she can't reach them.  You don't want her to aspirate on one so just put them away.

Also macadamia nuts can be toxic to dogs.

Here is a list of foods that don't mix well with dogs: www.peteducation.com/article.cfm
~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 9/15/11 4:42 am - TX
Yes, I know I need to put them up.  It's just so odd because she's never done this before. 

The info on macadamias is one fo the things I was looking for.  Thank you for that and the article on foods.

(deactivated member)
on 9/15/11 4:29 am, edited 9/15/11 4:43 am - Bayonne, NJ
Oy, this computer. It erases everything.

I thought I had said "I love her face!" Such a cute, cute dog.
determineddanni
on 9/15/11 4:43 am

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1659&aid=1030
http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/slideshow-foods-your-dog-should-n ever-eat

I have been an owner of dogs for a many many years:) I live in Montana of course we love our animals. I just wanted to warn you that macadamian nuts are NOT for dogs!

Dogs should not eat macadamia nuts or foods containing macadamia nuts because they can be fatal. As few as six raw or roasted macadamia nuts can make a dog ill. Symptoms of poisoning include muscle tremors, weakness or paralysis of the hindquarters, vomiting, elevated body temperature, and rapid heart rate. Eating chocolate with the nuts will make symptoms worse, possibly leading to death.

If you want to double check my info please check these links.

You will be suprised what you should not feed your dog. This includes onions, garlic, avacado, grapes, and of course chocolate. There is many more and you should check them out :)

kirmy
on 9/15/11 5:00 am, edited 9/15/11 5:01 am - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
Freaky! Linus has stolen my banana and is trying to bury it under my shirt...the one I have on. He also buries pizza crust, popcorn and M&M peanuts in the couch or occasionally under my pillow. This is normal Terrier behavior........he is now eating the banana after ******g peeling it.....I swear he is not a normal creature!!!

The camera roll....

Penfold gatecrashing my nap

Linus and attack of the killer bananas taken 15mins ago.....

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.
ModestoK
on 9/15/11 7:01 am
Wow - Linus has really filled out.
Looks like he is eating a lot of bananas - -  and perhaps he is the reason your Percy Pigs keep vanishing.  Yeah, that's it.  It isn't that you are eating them - blame it on the dog!

Love the pics, and as always you are stunning even when suffering from napus interuptus.

Kim
                                      ~  Kim  ~

HW - 283        SW - 257.5     Goal - 156
Thanks to all the DS vets who have paid it forward - I <3 you guys!  
Looking for DS support & information?   Check out :     http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi

kirmy
on 9/15/11 7:32 am - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
Bad camera angle he isn't fat.  Here is a pic from a couple of days ago.  He isn't getting his evil paws on my percy pigs!!!

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.