I'm self paying, but my insurance co. called....

RKLC2002
on 9/15/11 12:30 pm - Omaha, NE
That was my thought as well.  I'm hoping that they aren't flagging my account for close monitoring now.    I am pretty cynical of them too !!

5' 10"    HW= 327   SW=319 lbs        CW=200  (lowest was 180)    GW=170

No regrets with my DS!!!  

Open DS with Dr. Anthone  - October 14, 2011
Ventral Hernia repair/panniculectomy/hysterectomy - Nov 2012; 
Bowel Blockage due to hysterectomy and adhesions - Feb 2013;
Ventral Hernia repair with mesh - Dec 2013

Switched4Life
on 9/15/11 3:39 pm
      I was a self-pay.  My health insurance company, part of the Blue Cross corporate monstrosity, does cover the DS.  But it would have required so much trouble that once I decided to have the DS, I chose to get it done right away and pay for it myself.    

They did pay for all the pre-op testing, and they even paid for my post-op testing, labs, etc.  They probably did not realize I was heading toward the DS. 

But they obviously kept some kind of tabs on me because when a renewal time came up, they cancelled our policy.  Even though I was now healthy, with my co-morbidities resolved, they canceled me.  That meant my wife and our then four-year-old son were cut off, too.  It seemed ridiculous, now that I posed significantly less risk to them and their bottom line. 

But they told me that did not matter.  All that mattered, they said, was that I was a middle-aged man who had recently undergone major surgery.  Never mind that I had paid into their coffers for many years and took relatively little out.  Now I had what they considered a "pre-existing condition."  Even though what I really had was a "disappeared condition."

It makes no sense that they would rather pay for a lifetime of treating diabetes (which I did not have but was heading toward) or a heart attack, or any of the other problems posed by being MO, than pay to stop all that.  But that's the healthcare industry's backwards corporate mindset.

Fortunately, I live in a progressive state which does not allow its people to go without insurance because of "pre-existing conditions."  The State of Maryland gave us a policy.  I pay the state, and they make the same Blue Cross subsidiary which fired me take care of my family and me.  AND, I pay less and get full services.  I am able to get every test possible to make sure I remain healthy and they have to pay for it.  To Blue Cross I say, "Too F-ing bad for you!"

So, beware when your insurance company begins poking around.

Michael