I'm self paying, but my insurance co. called....

RKLC2002
on 9/14/11 11:10 am - Omaha, NE
I'm not sure what to make of this...   I had my pre-op tests run a few weeks ago.  I have high blood pressure, depression and of course overweight.   My Insurance company kept calling leaving me messages asking me to call them so they could share some helpful cost savings information.  After 3 messages, I finally called them.   The nurse asked me questions about how I was feeling and that they were checking up after my hospital visit (for the swallow test, pulminary tests and ultrasounds).    After talking awhile, he asked if I was doing anything to help with my high blood pressure.  I assumed he was referring to my weight.  I did tell him that I had to self pay for the DS because my company won't cover it.  He said that he saw that in my file.  This is what irked me a little...   He tried to tell me that I have to consider the way that I'll have to eat after the surgery and most people gain their weight back.     (OK... blood pressure was now rising!!!).  I told him I'd researched this since 2008 and I know that I was sure that he knew there were different kinds and that the DS has malabsorption properties which has the best long-term success rates.       Should I read more into this???  

He also kept telling me to make sure I knew how they would work to prevent blood clots and infection.   What the hell does that mean???  Am I having it in some back alley?   Of course, I'm going to a vetted surgeon (Dr. Anthone) to reduce my chances of a complication of any kind.

Thanks!
Renee

5' 10"    HW= 327   SW=319 lbs        CW=200  (lowest was 180)    GW=170

No regrets with my DS!!!  

Open DS with Dr. Anthone  - October 14, 2011
Ventral Hernia repair/panniculectomy/hysterectomy - Nov 2012; 
Bowel Blockage due to hysterectomy and adhesions - Feb 2013;
Ventral Hernia repair with mesh - Dec 2013

codlover
on 9/14/11 11:39 am - Celina, OH
I would have told them that they had not paid for the right to an opinion about anything to do with my D/S surgery....have a good day...good-bye !!!!!

Work the D/S and it will work for you !!! Get ready for a new life !!
Jim from Celina   328 Pounds...GONE !!!!!      
Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/14/11 12:17 pm, edited 9/14/11 12:17 pm - Tuvalu

Blue Cross?  They call me all the time.  And I repeatedly tell tham that our interaction will be limited to their paying for my legitimate claims and that I consider that their trying to impose themselves in my treatment in any way is harassment and that I'll be filing a complaint with the state insurance commissioner.

But they keep calling.

My last call from them was two nights ago.  I said, "I have told your firm over and over that I'm about to run out of nice ways to tell you that I don't want you to call.  I just ran out.  **** all of y'all and stop calling me."

In your case, though, since you're pre-op, just tell them, "I don't discuss my medical issues on the phone...put your concerns in writing and I'll get back to you when I can."  And then hang up.

beth-28
on 9/14/11 1:22 pm
On September 14, 2011 at 6:10 PM Pacific Time, RKLC2002 wrote:
I'm not sure what to make of this...   I had my pre-op tests run a few weeks ago.  I have high blood pressure, depression and of course overweight.   My Insurance company kept calling leaving me messages asking me to call them so they could share some helpful cost savings information.  After 3 messages, I finally called them.   The nurse asked me questions about how I was feeling and that they were checking up after my hospital visit (for the swallow test, pulminary tests and ultrasounds).    After talking awhile, he asked if I was doing anything to help with my high blood pressure.  I assumed he was referring to my weight.  I did tell him that I had to self pay for the DS because my company won't cover it.  He said that he saw that in my file.  This is what irked me a little...   He tried to tell me that I have to consider the way that I'll have to eat after the surgery and most people gain their weight back.     (OK... blood pressure was now rising!!!).  I told him I'd researched this since 2008 and I know that I was sure that he knew there were different kinds and that the DS has malabsorption properties which has the best long-term success rates.       Should I read more into this???  

He also kept telling me to make sure I knew how they would work to prevent blood clots and infection.   What the hell does that mean???  Am I having it in some back alley?   Of course, I'm going to a vetted surgeon (Dr. Anthone) to reduce my chances of a complication of any kind.

Thanks!
Renee
Oh Renee, the mental images that popped up in my mind when I read "Am I having it in some back alley"?!  I started laughing hysterically and my hubby and dogs gave me some strange looks. I'm not making fun of you, please don't think that. I am insane.
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

kirmy
on 9/15/11 5:20 am - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
Next time start panting and huffing and say in a deep slightly strangled voice.."what are you wearing right now".....pant pant pant "ohhh ohhhhh ohh keep talking YES YES YES KEEP TALKING Arrrrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"!

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 9/15/11 7:09 am
I like the way you think!

I remember long ago there I got a prank call like that with the heavy breathing and grunting. At the time they had a telephone feature where if you dialed *66 or something it would automatically call back the number which last called your line. So I called him right back and did the same thing to him, it really seemed to freak him out. He never called me again.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

RKLC2002
on 9/15/11 10:10 am - Omaha, NE
Oh, I like the way you think Kirmy!!!   ROFL !!!  

No regrets with my DS!!!  

walter A.
on 9/15/11 10:50 am - lafayette, NJ
your going to love the treatment you get in "THE BACK ALLEY"  , i had a private room for 6 days, wife stayed with me all six days,  had all my meals,  very comfortable, valet parking.  and the medical care is second to none,  I can honestly say that i don't remember any pain, just some discomfort.  

RKLC2002
on 9/15/11 12:33 pm - Omaha, NE
On September 15, 2011 at 5:50 PM Pacific Time, walter A. wrote:
your going to love the treatment you get in "THE BACK ALLEY"  , i had a private room for 6 days, wife stayed with me all six days,  had all my meals,  very comfortable, valet parking.  and the medical care is second to none,  I can honestly say that i don't remember any pain, just some discomfort.  

I hope that I have the same results- no pain just discomfort.  : )     Dr. Anthone seems like such a nice and compassionate person!  I think I'll be in very good hands.    I just wish I could fast forward to the 3 month mark.  LOL

No regrets with my DS!!!  

kataryn
on 9/15/11 10:52 am - WA
My first thought?  They were making notes in your file so that they could deny any claims you make after surgery, claiming they are complications of a surgery they wouldn't cover.  You will need to be dilligent in coding any claims to be specific to the condition they are treating and not refer to obesity or surgery.  Particularly labs.

I was a self pay, but my insurance paid for all the complications I experienced and continue to pay for my labs. 

I'm pretty cynical when it comes to insurance companies!