2 Part DS (VSG to DS)

(deactivated member)
on 9/14/11 7:10 am - Castle Rock, CO
Hi all..!!

just wanted to do some research regarding whether anyone has had the DS done in 2 parts?  I went to Mexico with an intention of having a DS but due to my heart complications during surgery came out with a VSG - (which btw was also a revision from the crapband) this was in Feb 2011 earlier this year.  

I have lost quite a bit of weight being 7 mths post-VSG now and all my comorbidities have resolved so will NOT qualify for wls through insurance so I am trying to see if my original surgeon will finish the DS surgery on me since that's what I had paid for..  I am starting to worry about my maintenance with the VSG alone and without the malabsorption which the DS would've obviously offered.  

I'd like to know if there are folks with similar experience, also can they do a DS (the malabsorption part only) for someone with a much lower BMI now since weight has come off with the VSG thus far.  Also, how has your success been with continued weight loss and maintenance after having this done in 2 surgeries?

Thanks for any input you can provide!

Hugs.. 
Victorious_one
on 9/14/11 7:28 am - South Central, PA

Howdy!

The VSG and revision boards may also have some folks who have either had the DS in 2 parts, are waiting for it, or are a ways out from just a VSG but couldn't get the DS they wanted.  They may have some input in addition to the input you get here.

My extremely cursory understanding is that doctors go on your original weight pre-surgery if they have to do a DS in 2 parts.  They know that you'll lose weight with just a sleeve and expect it, and can still do your Part 2 if you've lost a significant amount.

Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
Caleña M.
on 9/14/11 8:38 pm
Hi

I can give you my stats on my experience.  When I had the 2nd part of the DS, I was still able to qualify for WLS.

Highest weight ever was approximately 300 lbs around 25 years ago (last time I remember getting on the scale I weighed around 280, avoided the scale and I know I gained more weight - I was wearing a size 28/30).  I tried to take control on my own on my diet and exercise habits and lost almost 100 lbs on my own.  Lowest weight around 10 years ago was 195 (that lasted for 3 days).  For the last 10 years until the lap band, my weight would range between 215 - 230.  I am an extremely slow looser even in the strictest of diets.

Lap Band -June  2008 highest weight 238 at the time.
Lap Band removal - to Sleeve July 2010 -  weight 232.
2nd Part DS - April 2011 -  weight  202.
Current weight 170
I am 5" 1/2.

I feel wonderful, and even though I loose slowly, I am measuring my success in other ways.  This summer I was able to jog around the track 6 consecutive laps without stopping!  I am now officially not able to shop in the plus size stores any longer.  I am 20 lbs away from my surgeon's goal (150 lbs) and 30 lbs away from my goal.

I truly believe the malabsorption part was necessary for  me, with the sleeve only, i would have lost another 5 lbs and maybe maintained.

Janine

DS SW - 201 4/21/11; GW 130
(deactivated member)
on 9/15/11 12:37 am
I don't have much to add, but I am having my 2nd half in the next year hopefully.  At time of VSG my bmi was 93 and was not able to have the whole thing at once. Results have been good from the VSG just I have maintained the same weight since about March. :/

Good luck to you on getting the 2nd half! I can't wait for mine!!!
larra
on 9/15/11 1:16 am - bay area, CA
Can it be done? Yes, absolutely. Will Dr. Ungson do it for free? You would need to ask him, I kind of doubt it, but I really don't know. It isn't your fault it need to be done in 2 stages, but then again, it isn't his fault either.
     If you are going to do it, your best bet would be sooner rather than later, to get as much benefit from the combined restriction you presently have with the malabsorption the switch part of the DS would add.

Larra
(deactivated member)
on 9/15/11 3:07 am - Castle Rock, CO
Thank you all for your encouraging responses! 

Just to clarify though, it wasnt so much that I was expecting a free surgery, it's just that since I had paid the full amount for the DS package, I was told by them that I am eligible for some refund. and now it's been 7 months and I keep emailing only to get a response that they are still checking on things and working things out with the hospital, etc.. so this has got me to reconsider to see if it's probably just easier to ask them to complete the DS which was what I had paid for.. since it doesn't look like a refund is going to come back to me .. *sigh* 

It is frustrating since it was not easy to scrape together the full amount as a self-pay in the first place, but as it was for health and well-being, my family and I went ahead with it.  We are very happy with the surgeon and the team, but I just feel this cir****tance can be handled more fairly for me anyway.. I definitely can't afford to self-pay another amount again!

Thanks again for everyone's feedback.. 
maryc543
on 9/15/11 5:08 am
My Ds was a 2 parter due to other health issues.  If you click on my name on the left, you'll see my month by month losses......   Good luck with part 2.   Mine was approved as a DS, so they covered the second surgery and hospitalization as well.....but that was back in '06.     Mary C

DS Part 1 (VSG) 11/14/06 DS Part 2 12/18/07
HW 430 SW 400 CW 210 GW 170 Blog: lifeisgood-mc.blogspot.com