Banded DSers?

Elizabeth N.
on 9/14/11 11:29 pm - Burlington County, NJ
FLEE. Fast.

(deactivated member)
on 9/15/11 12:47 am
I had the VSG with a non-removable mesh band in 2004 with Dr. Elariny. It was experimental at the time and I self-paid.  He called it a VBG with sleeve gastrectomy.  I had the intestinal part of the DS in 2010 with stomach left as it was set up in 2004.  I still have good restriction and no complications from the now-gone band (replaced by scar tissue).

I am a slower loser because I was not a virgin DSer. That is probably the only caveat for having the DS done in two parts. It was no one's decision, but mine at the time.

As for the surgeon and your nasty band.. take E's advice and FLEE.

Hugs,
Ratkity
(deactivated member)
on 9/15/11 12:58 am - Bayonne, NJ
I had a permanent band around my stoma when I had my RNY. It caused nothing but problems and led to my DS revision. Dr. Greenbaum told me that if he took out the band and didn't revise, I'd gain weight, but with the DS revision I'd keep the weight off. I weigh less than I ever did post-op RNY, and the DS should keep you from regaining if you stay pretty low carb.

I don't get all the love for the band. I've seen Band over Bypass studies and the long-term results are yet to be determined, but so far they suck. I think a band over a sleeve in a DS would be overkill.
larra
on 9/15/11 1:08 am - bay area, CA
Your concern isn't just that the band didn't work for you for weight loss. You have problems caused by the band that you never had before someone put the damn thing in there. I think your instincts are sound - get the thing out of there and move forward with your DS and your life.

Larra
healthierme
on 9/15/11 1:59 am - Triangle, NC
I can't imagine leaving a band in place. It seems like the worst of both worlds! I'm glad to have my "pouch" gone and have a normally functioning stomach. I can finally eat chicken again!
Although, I will admit that the amount I can eat now does have me worried somewhat for long term maintenance. I know that Dr. Sudan makes his sleeves a little larger, so hopefully it won't be a problem for me down the road.

HW 300ish / SW 280 / CW 162.8/ GW 140?

kramer5
on 9/15/11 2:07 am - Washington, KS
Even though I still feel like s**t and I understand that logically there's no way my body can tell whether or not I still have the band, my brain knows and I can't tell you how much better I feel knowing it's gone!  What I once thought would be a life saver turned into a nightmare.  I can't imagine putting one back in, especially since the DS is supposed to allow us to eat more normally, I don't want to give that up (when I finally get there).
Dawn

prettypixels
on 9/15/11 8:11 am
 Right?!?!?  I am so with you on this!!!!  I have lived life with the band, I am very experienced at life with the band, I HATE IT!  If I could not do anything else but have it removed, I would.  To me it seems like quality of life should also be an important part of the decisions; getting thin is not everything!  

Thanks everyone, it helps to read that I am not alone in my surprise! 
Banded in 2001 at 217 lbs - Band to DS revision 10/25/11 at 310 lbs
If life with your band sucks, you are not alone and it's not your fault.  Check out the failed lap band group!

PattyL
on 9/15/11 3:58 am
 I would ask for a small sleeve and get rid of the band.
dgb123
on 9/15/11 5:49 am - Fairfax, VA
and I was SO concerned about losing weight with my stretched out sleeve that it was actually MY suggestion to have the band.I'm probably going to get bombed for admitting this, but I am one of Dr. Elariny's patients who has this configuration.  I got my sleeve over eight years ago.  Dr. E was unable to complete the DS because I had pancreatic tissue surrounding my duodenum.  My VSG was unsuccessful .  

I went back to Dr. E incredibly discouraged and not knowing what else to do since I didn't think I could have the DS.  We discussed a possible Scopinaro. and I was SO concerned about losing weight with my stretched out sleeve that it was actually MY suggestion to also have the band. 

I was SO fortunate that Dr. E WAS able to complete the DS this time around.  He spent EIGHT HOURS most of which was spent peeling away the pancreatic tissue.  Dr. E refers to it as my "Ace in the hole".  It's there if I need it.  It being unfilled does provide some restriction which is one reason why I think I've done as well as I have.

Certainly I have concerns that something will go wrong with the band, but I have faith that Dr. Elariny can fix it and/or take it out.  I will have it taken out eventually.

Would I do it again?  I honestly don't know as I don't know if my weight loss would have been this successful if I didn't have it.

So far, it hasn't been "horrid".

Donna

prettypixels
on 9/15/11 8:13 am
 I'm really glad it worked out for you, although I would venture to say that you may have had similar success without the band once your DS was completed.  Either way I'm so glad you are happy with your results! :)  I actually already have the band and my experience with it has been horrible for years and years now, so my perspective is pretty much the opposite.  
Banded in 2001 at 217 lbs - Band to DS revision 10/25/11 at 310 lbs
If life with your band sucks, you are not alone and it's not your fault.  Check out the failed lap band group!