Banded DSers?

prettypixels
on 9/14/11 1:24 pm
Are there any out there?  Today I met with a surgeon *****commended that they unbuckle my band but not remove it, and leave it around my sleeve to provide "gentle restriction."  I am not really interested in that at all as I have other mechanical issues with the band (pain from tubing is a big one for me), but I have to say I was really really really surprised to be encouraged to do this by a vetted DS surgeon.  The only thing I could figure is that maybe he had me in his mind as a VSG patient instead of a DS patient.  But I know my chart says DS all over it, so I don't know.  

He said I should consider it because otherwise I will wind up 20-40 lbs overweight.  (Which, even if true, I would be perfectly fine with.)  

Has anyone heard of anyone else doing this or having it recommended?  Have any DS patients wound up requesting a band on their sleeve?  

I remember when I was in this surgeons intro seminar, I was sitting next to a woman who said he had recommended she get the VSG with the internal band... I can't remember what that was called, but it sounded horrid to me.  :(   
Banded in 2001 at 217 lbs - Band to DS revision 10/25/11 at 310 lbs
If life with your band sucks, you are not alone and it's not your fault.  Check out the failed lap band group!

beemerbeeper
on 9/14/11 2:00 pm - AL
scoob
on 9/14/11 2:26 pm - Somerset, KY
Honey, that sounds absolutely HORRID to me! I wouldn't wan't the band PERIOD, let alone when you're getting the DS! Life one year post op, with the DS, is amazing! The DS works. IMNSHO, tell him to take that damned thing out and give you a true DS! Good luck sweetie!

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

nightowl
on 9/14/11 6:29 pm - Topeka, KS
As far as I know, Dr. Elairny (not sure on his last name's spelling) is the only DS surgeon who has this view.  I know MajorMom has mentioned before that Dr. E. sometimes promotes this.  I do not know of anyone on the message boards who has a DS plus band over it.  In fact, that is part of why I clicked on this thread, to see if anyone replies who has such a combo, but no, I still don't see any yet. 

I understand why you wouldn't mention his name.  Most people here who did not hear a name with it will say the band over DS is utterly ridiculous, perhaps even using profanity and insults to such a surgeon.  However, when it is accompanied by the name of a surgeon many DSers greatly respect, the comments would greatly soften.  I am guessing that is why Becky deleted her earlier answer to you, especially since Becky reveres Gina, and Gina respects Dr. E. 

I would be interested to read if Dr. E. publishes any case studies on such patients on whom he has done this combination.

beemerbeeper
on 9/15/11 12:19 am - AL
Well you would be wrong.  I deleted my comment because I was just asking questions.  Who is the surgeon (because I couldn't remember) and was she a virgin or did she already have a sleeve or a band because the whole thing just confused me.  My questions weren't even making sense so I gave up.

And if you KNEW me you would know that I don't temper my words.  But you don't know me at all. 

~Becky

MajorMom
on 9/14/11 6:40 pm - VA
Dr Elariny does suggest this to revision patients but is perfectly willing to take the band out if that's what the patient chooses. It's an option and has it's pros and cons in his mind. I've advised a couple of folks to tell him "hell no, take the thing out" and they've never had a problem with him not respecting their wishes.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

prettypixels
on 9/14/11 9:23 pm
He's willing to take it out but told me I was being extremely closed-minded about it.  He also insinuated heavily that I'd wind up needing another revision in 3 years to lose more weight and would have a hard time finding anyone to do that for me.

I just did not expect such a heavy sell on that on top of the DS.  This is the first I've had it confirmed that he does suggest this to revision patients so it's good to know I'm not alone in having had that suggested!

Apparently they actually have published a study on this recently;  I don't have the info, but he showed me some pictures on his phone.

Banded in 2001 at 217 lbs - Band to DS revision 10/25/11 at 310 lbs
If life with your band sucks, you are not alone and it's not your fault.  Check out the failed lap band group!

MajorMom
on 9/14/11 9:35 pm - VA
Stand your ground. Let him know how much you hate the band and that you will be compliant with low carving for life.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Jennifer D.
on 9/15/11 1:12 am, edited 9/15/11 1:12 am
That doesn't souund like he plans on doing DS, it sounds like VSG as you mentioned above. I think you really need to communicate your wishes to him and gain a clearer picture of what he is thinking.
                                      Jennifer
          Thank you Cheri and Holly!
       Think twice, cut once! I've had 3 surgeries now, RNY, VSG and DS .
                                Ask me about the DS or visit dsfacts.com
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
2011 - Full DS-August 24th
                HW 311   SW 306  CW 235  GW 150
prettypixels
on 9/14/11 9:25 pm
BTW I despise my band. I want it out, even if I could not have ANY other wls (VSG or DS), I would still want it out. I may burn it. :D I no longer want it in my body in any way shape or form.