High Blood Pressure...

MomToTeens
on 9/13/11 2:58 am - OH
I went to my PCP for my surgery follow-up yesterday (8 weeks out).  Everything was fine with the exception of my blood pressure.  They took it once with the machine and once manually, and both times it was right around 156/100.  I have never had problems with my bp, and it was actually somewhat low in the hospital right after my surgery.  Our nurse at work checked it today and it was 160/105.  The PCP has told me to track it for 2 weeks and fax it, and we will go from there.

I have not changed any prescription medications (still taking Buspar and Prozac, as before surgery).  I am following Vitalady's vitamin plan (currently with the exception of the morning dose of iron and vitamin C, as I tried to start that, and it caused tummy troubles, so I'm putting it off a bit longer).  I am also taking 20mg of generic Prilosec every day.

Has anyone else had this issue, or have a suggestion as to why this might be happening now?  I do have headaches more often, which is most likely a result of the high bp.

Susan
RNY:  05/24/2005     SW:  270, lowest:  190,  Back up to:  230
Revision to DS:  07/24/2011  SW:230/CW:181/GW:140

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!"
Will Rogers

PattyL
on 9/13/11 4:37 am
 Are you well hydrated?  Sure you are drinking enough?

Other than that, the docs advice was good.  Wait a couple more weeks before you worry about it.  
Grammo
on 9/13/11 5:41 am - Nashville, TN
Do you have headaches because of high blood pressure or do you have high blood pressure because of headaches?   My over all blood pressure has been near perfect since waking up in recovery room after DS, but a migraine will always shoot it through the roof.   Thankfully these are very rare for me.   Your body is probably going through a lot of hormonal changes right now and this can increase your incidence of headaches and may be affecting your blood pressure... I am not a medical professional - so this is just my own idea.   Stay vigilant and get to the bottom of it.   Good luck!
Regards,
Grammo!
(Ticker includes 11.5 pounds lost on the two week pre-op liquid diet.)

High Weight (09-99) 294 DS Consult Weight (06-09)283 
                  Surgery Weight (8-11-09) 271.5 Goal Weight 130
(deactivated member)
on 9/13/11 5:57 am - TX
MomToTeens

Not to be too cavalier about this but if your teens are anything like mine, I think I've found the source of your bp issues!   Regretably, there's not much to be done about them. . . Legally.

Seriously though, do watch your hydration and keep that log.  Keep us updated!

Rags
no_more_rolls
on 9/13/11 6:09 am - Jackson, MI
Actually my blood pressure ran slightly high pre-op (between 140/90 to 160/100).  I was switched around the same time as you.  I've had my bp checked several times post-op and it is better now (110/70 range).  I'm on a similar vitamin/supplement plan and take Prilosec too.  Everyone is different.

Besides the possibilty of dehydration, are/were you stressed or worried about anything?  Were you in pain anywhere?  Did you recently exercise or do any physical activity prior to getting your bp taken?  There can be lots of causes for high blood pressure.  It could be something simple and be gone next week.   The headaches can raise your blood pressure.  I agree with your PCP and think you need to monitor it for a couple weeks.  If possible take it in the morning when you first get up too.  You've still got about a month before your 3 month labs are do, but if this continues ask if you can get your labs done sooner.  Headaches can be a sign of vitamin D or B12 deficiency.  

Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

MomToTeens
on 9/14/11 12:42 am - OH
Thanks for all the replies.  I'm leaning toward stress and dehydration.  I have gone back to work full-time, kids are back in school, activities and schedules are in overdrive.  I am amping up the water intake and trying to decompress for a bit on a daily basis, and see if that helps.

Thanks again!

Susan
RNY:  05/24/2005     SW:  270, lowest:  190,  Back up to:  230
Revision to DS:  07/24/2011  SW:230/CW:181/GW:140

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!"
Will Rogers

walter A.
on 9/14/11 9:06 am - lafayette, NJ
and watch your caffeine intake, it cause a rise in heart rate and dehydration, headache , avoid oj, drink grapefruit instead, its base instead of acid, but it accelerates the half life of many meds so check compatibility.