How did you prep for your surgery, diet wise?

twodelight
on 9/13/11 11:16 am - Atlanta, GA
All I had to do was a bowel prep which tore my stomache up. But tomorrow will be a year later and 130 lbs gone forever. Gotta love that DS!!!
(deactivated member)
on 9/13/11 11:55 am
I think I answered your question on facebook, but I'll put it out there just in case it wasn't your post over there. 

I didn't have to do any type of pro-op diet at all.  I was considered a lightweight at the time, but I'm not sure if that had anything to do with whether or not I had to do a "diet".  I didn't have to do a bowel prep either.  I already had a crapband, and was having complications with it, so there wasn't a whole lot I could eat anyway, besides soft, slider type foods.  Rediculous as it was, I had to do a bowel prep for the stupid lap band!  Miserable, to say the least!  Dr. Stewart called it "punative".  I have to agree 100%.  The only thing I had to do for my DS, was stop eating food at noon the day before my surgery, and have only clear liquids the rest of the day.  I could not drink anything after midnight. 

I have to agree with other posters, that it's crazy how different the pre-op requirements are for different surgeons.  I also think that the post-op food progressions for different surgeons are weird, too.  Some require a specific progression from clear liquids to full liquids to pureed, to soft, to regular foods, while others allow patients to eat whatever they want from the get-go.  Strange.
AllieInOntario
on 9/13/11 12:41 pm
No preop diet here either.  I ate chicken fingers for dinner the night before.  Dr G didn't find anything funky in there. :)

As someone else mentioned here, I'm rather surprised at some of the diets that some docs put their patients on.  Seems like overkill at an already stressful time.
Pick your surgery first, then your surgeon. Not the other way around.  
PS:... Potato chips should be a food group.

I'm tired of screwing with that damn health widget.
 I've lost 125 pounds to date!!!!
   And I'm UNDER 190 now!!! 

Jennifer D.
on 9/13/11 1:25 pm
Like NYB and Allie I had no required pre-op diet but I put myself on a small one anyway. I did low carb liquids for a few days and only clear liquids the day prior.
Frankie
on 9/14/11 12:19 am - NY
Hi Butercup,

My surgery is on 9/26 so on 9/25 I have to do clear liquids all day.  Other than that no other diet necessary.  I cut out drinking wine and carbs and so far I lost a few pounds.

Good luck to you.

Frankie