How did you prep for your surgery, diet wise?

butercup
on 9/13/11 5:57 am - Kennewick, WA
What were your pre op surgery diets like? How long did they last, what did they consist of, or did you do one at all? I'm talking like a few weeks before surgery too.

galla1
on 9/13/11 5:59 am
I didnt have to do one..just a bowel prep the night before. Made sure I was plenty hydrated :) good luck
sandy_mt
on 9/13/11 6:04 am
 My doctor wanted me to lose 20 pounds before surgery, but I had about 6 weeks to do it, so I didnt have to do a liquid diet like some of the others.  I just cut the carbs completely out and stopped having any alcohol.  I ate basically protein and vegetables, pretty much like I knew I would be doing after the DS.  Also, I beefed up on my vitamins BEFORE I went in because I knew I wouldn't be taking them right away following.  

Sandy

newyorkbitch
on 9/13/11 6:18 am
My diet leading up to surgery consisted of eating anything and everything - all my favorites,  lots of them,  all the time.

I didn't eat or drink from midnight before the surgery.  No diet,  no bowel prep,  no nothing.

butercup
on 9/13/11 6:23 am - Kennewick, WA
I've lost 32 lbs doing low carb/low fat/ high protein since May when I was put on my pre op diet. Do you think my liver has shrunk? I'm having to do 10 days clear liquids with protein powder and I feel like I'm going to die honestly. I'm just wondering if this last diet is excessive. I kind of feel that it is. Thoughts?  I want food, can you tell?
Julie R.
on 9/13/11 7:44 am - Ludington, MI
 I had to do a two-week liquid (protein powders and stuff) diet.  It sucked big time.   I'm pretty sure your liver has shrunk with your very respectable weight loss.   Just remember - it's just that much lower you'll be coming out of surgery and less you'll have to lose!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

MajorMom
on 9/13/11 8:08 am - VA
I didn't have to do one but I went low carb on my own...except for the several "last suppers" I enjoyed.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

nmscuba
on 9/13/11 8:44 am - kingsley, MI
I have DS surgery this week Fri so I have been on my 2 week diet now for almost 14 days.  I have the same surgeon as Julie at the same place.

But what they are doing now is its all food for 2 weeks.  800 to 900 calories a day with 60 grams of protein daily.  They like you to buy their products in their shop which was only $125 for 2 weeks worth of food eating 6 times a day so honestly its not bad.

It consists of protein drinks, shakes, small tv type dinner, oatmeal, omelettes, pretzels, chips its been pretty good really.

Tony,

Surgery Date 9/16/11, HW 260lb. Currently 207 lbs, SW 241 Goal 190lb.  5ft 9.5 inches        
elixir
on 9/13/11 10:52 am - MI
I did the same diet. It was bearable, but everytime I drove by Checkers I wanted to pull in. I had to drive an alternate route to avoid it.

Good luck with your surgery this Friday!

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

Switched4Life
on 9/13/11 10:26 am
     I was not required to do any special diet prior to my DS.  I just had to stop eating by midnight the night before surgery.  And there were no tubes after surgery, either.  I did not have a single complication.  

I am always amazed to read how some surgeons require strange and exotic diets and cleansing rituals before surgery, while others say none of that is necessary.

Michael