confused about carbs!

newyorkbitch
on 9/12/11 1:28 pm
Genetics.

And you're not even 3 years out,  and you just hit goal or maybe you aren't even at goal.

See my more recent post.

Your advising a new post-op to try to slow down her loss because you're content with your skin less than 3 years out and bare at goal for 2 minutes...it's really almost cruel.

There are plenty of people who lose lots of weight who don't have major sag,  and plenty of people who do,  and people who have sag happen fast,  and people who have sag happen slowly....

Elizabeth N.
on 9/12/11 10:31 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Correlation does not EVER imply causation. You're making a college freshman level error of logic in your thinking.

newyorkbitch
on 9/12/11 1:22 pm
You're not even 3 years post-op,  and you say it took 3 years to get to 166 - so I assume you're fudging it a bit and you just got to goal - you don't know what will happen to your skin after you've been at goal for a while. 

I got to goal in a bit over two years.  I'm extremely  muscular.  I was 38 years old.  After I hit goal,  my skin started to go south...big time.    And got worse and worse.   Gravity and time are NOT our friends.

So you'll see how it goes for you,  but to tell a new post-op to try to slow down her loss because you don't have sagging skin 3 minutes after you hit goal?  I mean really now.
Nina E.
on 9/12/11 1:32 pm

I guess time will tell. :) my surgeon's realistic goal for me was 180. I hit it well over a year ago. My fluffy stuff gets better and better. I am happy at 166. I can wear 8's and 10's and xtra small and small shirts.  Hell if I was 190 I would still be happy. You all put so much emphasis on the scale number (just like my mom did to put me in this situation in the first place)

I am fumes away from normal bmi. my muscle mass keeps increasing and fat decreasing. I am very stable. believe me.

I never told her to slow down her loss per say. i said experimenting wasnt the most horrible thing in the world.

The whole gravity and time not being our friends is up for debate. I like my chances.

You enjoy your DS journey.

By the way... alot of what we tell each other to eat and how to supplement is balked at by the surgeons who "supposedly" know what's good for us. Someone had to say.. hmm maybe there is another way.

Food (complex carb loaded or not) for thought.

Nina ~~   BMI was 52, now 26.1 (normal). From size 26/28 to 10 pants and 2xl/24 shirt to xs/sm shirts. SW/CW/surgean Goal/mynew GW 322/161/180/165     I Heart MY DS!!

newyorkbitch
on 9/12/11 2:02 pm, edited 9/12/11 2:08 pm
Time and gravity do NOT create skin sag?

And I guess global warming isn't real either.

Are you saying that your carb intake has some effect on your skin sag?  Because your weight loss rate is pretty fast,  even though you contradicted your other post...

What are you suggesting is the reason for your satisfaction with your skin? 

Did it occur to you that you lost 142 lbs in 18 months (weight loss peak window) and then lost only 14 lbs in the subsequent approx. 16 months - did it occur to you that you didn't lose much weight becuase you DID eat carbs?  I mean that's how the DS works - your loss slowed because you ate carbs.  Duh.

Your rate of loss in the first 18 months was quite fast.  The fact that you don't have much skin sag is genetics,  and also because it may happen stilll...in fact age, no matter what the weight issue,  will bring the sag.  It's called nature.

Nina E.
on 9/12/11 2:09 pm

hey i'm done now. Yes i went back and checked and i was wrong. It did take 18 months not 2 years.

Global warming is very real.

Time and gravity might create excess fat sag.. i don't believe it is just skin. but that is a topic for a whole other pot of coffee...

Hey i am not the only post contradictor. At least I didnt delete any of my posts...

good night NY B

I actually like you. imagine that! You remind me a bit of me. funny little world we live in. 

Nina ~~   BMI was 52, now 26.1 (normal). From size 26/28 to 10 pants and 2xl/24 shirt to xs/sm shirts. SW/CW/surgean Goal/mynew GW 322/161/180/165     I Heart MY DS!!

newyorkbitch
on 9/12/11 2:15 pm, edited 9/12/11 2:16 pm
Who gives a **** if you "like me" or not. 

I think telling a new post-op to eat carbs in an attempt to slow her loss is absurd.

When you have multiple plastic surgeries under your belt,  come back and talk about skin and fat and sag.

How about you answer the question - to what do you attribute your satisfaction with your skin?

Nina E.
on 9/12/11 2:29 pm

I dig you. really.

You know I didnt realize that you had your DS 11 years ago. no wonder you were so adamant about the sagging... yeah in 10 years i better have sagging going on. I will be 54. maybe genetics will help, though. 

I didn't answer? oops. I think I am satisfied with my body (because my skin/fat doesn't sag like a sharpai because I thought that, after hearing from every ds-er that no matter how fast or slow or high carb or low carb i went, when i lose almost 160lbs I will have sagging "skin(fat)"

I barely have it. That is why I am satisfied. Because I expected the worst and hoped and got the best (for me). Does that answer it?

fluffy_me:  for heaven sakes follow everything anyone on here, but me, says. I am not saggy enough or far enough out to be qualified to say. What I can say is trust your instincts, enjoy the life transforming gift you ahve been given. Try to learn and to contribute in ways you can to pay it forward.  Try not to beat up newbies when you are and 10 yr post op saggy (maybe had plastics and maybe didn't) DS veteran.

I will take my own advice NY B because for sure.. beyond a shadow of a doubt.. I WILL be old, saggy and a veteran. A happy one. well, if global warming doesn't get me first...

newyorkbitch
on 9/12/11 9:19 pm
WHY do you think your skin isn't sagging at this point?  What is the REASON for it?

Glad at least you said "maybe genetics will help" at leasts you acknowledge that genetics plays a role in this.

So you think that your carb intake has something to do with your skin sag?  Explain that.

I'm not saggy anymore (but I was).  I had loads of plastics and I look like a million bucks. 

Nina E.
on 9/12/11 1:37 pm, edited 9/12/11 1:37 pm

interesting that we both are muscular in nature, around 40ish, took 2 years to get to goal and your fluff gets worse and worse and mine is disappearing..

if its genetics. well ok, but i don't think it is.

One of your esteemed VERY highly esteemed veterans is the one who told me to teach my body how to lose wieght while eating moderate complex carbs instead of teaching it to lose ONLY by severly restricting carbs PERIOD.

Thank God I listened.