confused about carbs!

(deactivated member)
on 9/11/11 11:32 am - Woodbridge, VA
I have a super DUPER extra long common channel, but rice is still one of those things that ALWAYS tears me up - painful, stabbing gas pains for HOURS. This is true even now that I am more than 2 years out.
fluffy_me
on 9/12/11 8:08 am, edited 9/12/11 8:26 am
oooh no! i would have thought it would get better over time.

i have gas aches when i have potatoes (don't have them anymore - not even a tiny bit!)

actually, that's a lie - i do have potatoes once in a blue moon - very very little (hidden in my food) - it does not effect my tummy.

newyorkbitch
on 9/12/11 12:19 pm
Potatoes are FULL of carbs.
Nina E.
on 9/11/11 11:40 am

Hmm well yes, it is challenging doing this and being a vegitarian. But it can be done. Can you do Protein shakes?

As for the no experimenting. I disagree!  You should experiement. Get to know how to start and stop your weight loss. I took 3 yrs go from 322 to 166 and I barely have hanging fat or skin anything. I look like a teenager again bodywise. I experimented with fruit and complex carbs (rice and potatoes) I only ate and still do eat low carb bread but ido eat the occasional rool or white bread or whole grain cracker with gouda cheese. But i do keep the low carb bread to a dull roar. When your sleeve is new you do need to concentrate on protein. so shakes should help if you can do them. Rice will fill you up tremendously. as long as you can get your protein in (which is challenging for you) then experiment. I know that starting and stopping my loss so i could sit and maintain it for a couple months has been the key to my success. also the fact i can choose to put whatever i want in my mouth and not feel like i am dieting is priceless. Just because I can put whatever i want in my mouth doesnt mean i will. That is the best part. since food isn't the villan (when you allow some experimenting and carbs aren't kept ulta ultra low).

I trained my body to lose eating that way. get to know YOUR DS and see how it ticks. Be careful with simple carbs.

How long is your common channel. Did your surgeon do the Hess method?

I know many will come along and scold me for saying this but this is how I succeeded. I am almost to my 3 year anniversary and I will be putting my pics up to prove that uber low carbing isnt the answer for everyone.

You are the expert on you. Believe me, when you aren;t eating the way you should, you will know it!! Happy BM's mean you are doing well.

Best of luck to you. I will be followig your progress. feel free to email me on here. I have a friend who had the rny and is a vegitarian. would love to be able to tell her is can be done as she isnt happy with her rny.

Nina ~~   BMI was 52, now 26.1 (normal). From size 26/28 to 10 pants and 2xl/24 shirt to xs/sm shirts. SW/CW/surgean Goal/mynew GW 322/161/180/165     I Heart MY DS!!

fluffy_me
on 9/12/11 8:26 am
hey newlife4nina,

thanks for sharing your experience:)

it's incredible that you dont have much excess skin just by slowing down your weight loss - i always heard that no matter how fast or slow you lose weight - there will still be excess skin.

i'm going to the gym and getting ayurvedic massages twice a week - was told it should help reduce saggy skin...

my common channel is 100cm, i'm not sure it's the hess method - i'll ask my surgeon when i see him this month.

take care:)

Nina E.
on 9/12/11 11:44 am

If you had an open incision, vs laproscopic surgery, your surgeon probably used the Hess method. My common channel is 75. 

If skin was simply an issue of being stretched out then we would have hanging skin everywhere, including the backs of our hands. I had the surgery when I was 41 so I didn't have youth on my side.

What I did was get a scale that measured the % of fat and muscle.  As long as my fat % kept going down and my muscle % kept going up (no matter what that scales said) I knew I was on the right track.

My fat % went from over 60% and 322lbs to my current of 34 and my muscle % went from about 25% if I remember correctly to 32% now. I read an excellent article about "sagging skin" it said if women aim to have at leat 40% muscle mass then will have minimal skin issues (which they say isnt sgging skin but sagging fat).

Again, good luck to you.

Nina ~~   BMI was 52, now 26.1 (normal). From size 26/28 to 10 pants and 2xl/24 shirt to xs/sm shirts. SW/CW/surgean Goal/mynew GW 322/161/180/165     I Heart MY DS!!

newyorkbitch
on 9/12/11 12:20 pm, edited 9/12/11 1:16 pm
Muscle mass may make your skin hang over a more developed structure,  but it has NOTHING to do with the amount of skin hanging. 

It's great that your skin is not sagging,  but this is really the luck of the draw.  Genetics,  etc.

You think because you lost and gained weight in fits and spurts that somehow affected your skin sag ?  Because it took you 3 years to get to goal?

There are lots of DSers who lost lots of weight over 3 years who have tons of hanging skin.  It's not their "fault" as you would imply - they cannot and could not influence that.

fluffy - no type of massage will help with the sagging skin.  Nothing will.  It will be what it will be.

Do not attempt slow down your weight loss because somebody told you it will prevent your skin from sagging.  And do NOT use it an excuse to continue eating carbs.

Nina E.
on 9/12/11 1:02 pm

Everything dear. Everything. Sagging skin is the one thing everyone on here freaks out about. You may not admit it but it is a huge deal so much so that people go and get cut from stem to stern to make it go away.

Why not mention I had this wonderful thing happen to me by not being so freaking strict on my carbs and learning how to start and stop my loss. I learned what MY body needed. I became an expert on me. I learned that eating flour, FOR ME, was just dumb. I learnt it and learnt it well.  I don't relearn that lesson but once or twice a year.  We all know people who learn that lesson on a daily basis...

I learned rice here and there was perfectly wonderful for me... but not several meals for several day.. unless I was in the mood or trying to maintain my most recent 5-8lb loss. I learnt that when I ate lots of fat and protein and didn't go crazy on stupid stuff (FOR ME and prob most others) like candy, cake, bread and pizza I would poop once a day. it would be the happiest poop ever.  When I ate stupid stuff days in a row my poops hated me and I hated them. Life suuucked. I learnt that lesson too. I rarely have gas now because I know what and when to eat. it's like 2nd nature to me now. I wouldn't know how things affected me if I didn't try.

I rarely get the trapped gas syndrome that only happens to me if, on the rare occasion i actually eat a bagel, I eat it in the morning. If i eat it later in the afternoon with a few gas pills I will survive.. BUT again, that is a rare thing for me.. why? Because I experimented and learned about MY DS and my bodies reaction to food, losing, maintaing and gaining, if need be.

The results have everything to do with it. We would never have had the DS if the research didn't show that we would get the desired results. We all have our journeys to OUR results.

Don't get me wrong. I know there are hard heads out there who whine every day about their horrid gas etc etc They prob could get the wrong impression from my post. But I figured those folks are probably NOT looking at the confused about carbs post. They are just out there eating their way to misery because they cannot give up the simple carbs.

But don't mind me and my meaningless comment that has nothing to do with the issue. Get back to your group chastising on a 3 month vegitarian DS-er. She has enough freakin problems..

newyorkbitch
on 9/12/11 1:09 pm
Nina E.
on 9/12/11 1:23 pm

I love how you simplify it to "So you think your carb intake has something to do with the condition of my skin."

I will say this one more time then I am done with you.. read my initial reponse..

My experimenting with mostly COMPLEX (and some simple too) and not going ultra low helped me lose in steps vs super fast.  I averaged 50-150 carbs a day when i actually monitored them.   I am saying that learning how to start and stop my loss was inportant for me because I somehow knew that losing too fast wasnt good. I intitially lost 50lbs before "watching" my carbs. By the time I had lost the 50lbs I was motivated and it was easier to "watch my carbs" I didnt feel like this was gonna be the longest diet of my life. If dieting did it for me then I would never have needed the DS.

I stayed at  a new weight at least a month if not two before losing some more. That is what helped me learn about my body and how to make it do exactly what I want. to include looking just as good, if not better than a lot of folks who had the excess :fluff: cut away.

I was 41 when I had the surgery, I moved more but did not go gung ho on the excercise. What do you think is the reason I don't have the fluffy stuff issue going on to the degree most do?