confused about carbs!

fluffy_me
on 9/11/11 10:32 am
hi!

i'm on my 3rd month (post-op): so far i have been quite strict with my low carb high protein diet (although being a vegetarian, there will be some carbs with whatever high proteins food i eat).

my question is - when can i start eating some carbs? for example: a little bit of rice with my curry (i miss rice quite a bit). 

i've read that some people can eat pretty much 'anything' and still lose weight during the honeymoon period - i'm actually experimenting this week - eating a bit more more carbs than i usually do. my tummy is tolerating it pretty well. 

i dont know what my limit is when it comes to carbs. should i eat them or not? i know what the answer is  - but for some reason i'm still confused and need some advise / scolding please:|

newyorkbitch
on 9/11/11 10:41 am
Eat complex carbs and not simple carbs.  Brown rice and not white rice.  Whole grains.

But know that you absorb carbs.  The more carbs you eat,  the slower your weight loss and the greater  your eventual regain and the more difficult to maintain.  Your "experimenting" with carbs this early on is a bad, bad sign about your long term success.

You were warned by a lot of people that this would be a big issue for you,  given that you are a vegetarian and you don't eat eggs.  You knew going in that your diet was going to be very very limited for the rest of your life, and that there were serious potential dietary issues facing you.  Get used to missing rice.  That's how it is. 

You are not confused,  you just don't want to face reality.

fluffy_me
on 9/11/11 10:51 am
a scolding it is! yess ma'am - the experiment has totally stopped.

MARTINA P.
on 9/11/11 11:12 am - ROCKMART, GA
 Hey I know that anything new is a challenge because I'm still struggling so if you need a friend feel free to contact me.  The journey is rough but worth it.  
MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        
HW: 315 CW: 117 GW:  First goal 150 met 3/23/2012, Second goal 135

fluffy_me
on 9/12/11 8:04 am
hey martina,

thanks, that's very kind of you:)

the journey is getting better and better as the weeks go by - but still have some bad days once in a while.

yes, it is totally worth it! i have no regrets:)

Elizabeth N.
on 9/11/11 11:14 am - Burlington County, NJ
We told you so. You didn't want to listen. NO you should not be eating carbs. You should be eating animal source protein. Period. Welcome to the new reality. Don't try to say you weren't warned. It is NOT going to work your way.

fluffy_me
on 9/12/11 7:56 am
hey elizabeth,

i am NOT finding it difficult with getting enough vegetarian protein at all - it does get boring but i'm learning how to make food internesting (i had burgers today made with mung daal:)

my question is about carbs - but that's got nothing to do with being a vegatarian - even non veg DSers miss carbs right?

i'd like to stress i am NOT having any problems with getting enough veg proteins, i am NOT lactose intolerant, and i CAN tolerate lentils and whole grains, and yes i am getting in ALL my vitamins and minerals, and YES i am taking my protein shakes (except for the last week - waiting for it to come via post). and YES i am losing weight.

thanks, i haved stopped eating simple carbs - i think i was going through a crazy phase:P

newyorkbitch
on 9/12/11 8:21 am
Daal is carbohydrates!!!!!

FOCUS ON PROTEIN.

Daal and lentils are complex carbs - YOU ABSORB THEM.

You can eat them IN VERY LIMITED QUANTITIES.  Not entire burgers made of them!!!

Your "boring diet" is going to be that way FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.  We warned you.

Non-vegetarians have a whole lot more food options to make eating interesting while limiting carbs.  You have VERY FEW OPTIONS.

And you don't even eat eggs...well,  welcome to reality.

And by the way lots of DSers become lactose intolerant later on - so you really don't know what will be.

fluffy_me
on 9/12/11 8:36 am
hey NYB, 

yess, dhaal does have carbs - but it also has protein. Also, the burgers were small and thin.

i got this recepie from a vegetarian DSer who does not eat eggs either - she use to come on OH a year ago. 

my boring diet is getting quite interesting:)

newyorkbitch
on 9/12/11 9:12 am, edited 9/12/11 12:18 pm
But you need to eat protein that DOES NOT HAVE CARBS.

Only 26% of daal is protein.

And maybe the burgers were small now...but what about when you can eat more and more?