A "pay it forward" conundrum

larra
on 9/13/11 1:01 am - bay area, CA
The good news here is that this is so dense and badly written that hardly anyone will wade through it. I sure didn't.

Larra
(deactivated member)
on 9/13/11 3:13 am - San Jose, CA

I tried to edit the original post, but OH wouldn't let me edit it for some reason.  So, here is the edited version:

EDITED TO FIX FORMATTING - to be fair, this posted differently than what I copied and pasted, so I'm trying to fix it so the nonsense can be read. 

~~~

Someone sent this to me via PM, as they don't want to "out" themselves on this site by rebutting this post.  It is on BariatricEating.com, which is a site I do NOT wish to contribute to in any way (Susan Maria's site).  Someone made the following bull**** post, which omits ALL reference to the DS.  If anyone is already on her site, and feels like rebutting, please do.  However, I am NOT suggesting ANYONE go over there and visit, because - well like I said above.

~~~

liz123 has just posted a new topic entitled "is WLS dangerous? or is it life enhancing? it is BOTH" in forum "General Bariatric Forum".

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The choice to do something - ANYTHING to be thinner is one most of us have faced MORE THAN ONCE

but when the road comes close to the last exit - that place where we KNOW that we cannot do it alone and may need some surgical help ... the options are ALL scary

the band   - it is less invasive - yet leaves a medical apparatus inside us - and needs adjustments via needles to keep it fine tuned 

if you have more than 75 - 120 pounds to lose ( or more) - the band will take a long time to get you to that goal / and you might not reach that goal without lots of dedication - but IT CAN BE DONE

where ( in my opinion) the  band  can and does make a huge difference is in helping people lose more modest amounts of weight ( under 75 pounds) and in helping them KEEP that weight off.

ANY WEIGHT YOU LOSE WITH THE BAND IS WEIGHT THAT YOU ARE NOT HAULING AROUND - please note that some people are not medically candidates for the more invasive surgeries - and even if they NEVER reach goal weight with the band - their quality of life will be enhanced by losing SOME of their excess weight and having a tool to help them KEEP IT OFF.

the sleeve   - it entails cutting the stomach into a thin banana sized shape and then tossing the other part of your stomach out with the medical waste.

the sleeve is a tool that was designed to help get super obese patients to lose enough weight (usually around 100 pounds or so)so that they could then survive having the RNY bypass operation as a second surgical step in their weight loss journey.

the sleeve is now being performed as a stand alone WLS procedure and works well for those who need to keep taking NSAIDS ( the RNY patient usually MUST NOT take NSAIDS after surgery since they may cause life threatening ulcers/abscesses of the staple/stitch line) the sleeve also does not have mal absorption issues - **all nutrients and vitamins are absorbed by the surgically altered smaller sized stomach with normal digestive system.

Generally a band patient can absorb enough protein and nutrients from regular food - supplements CAN be helpful - but are not required as they are with RNY

The sleeve can be stretched to a larger size by constant overeating - and careful eating patterns are a MUST with sleeve surgery to prevent stretching.  **once stretched the sleeve may not rebound to the original smaller size - and if that happens a revision to RNY may need to be considered as a way to keep weight off.

the RNY   - it is the most invasive/with your intestines cut and re-routed and your stomach cut and sewn into a small pouch ( with the "left over stomach left inside to help with digestion) - very complicated surgery! AND YET - the most successful for overall weight loss results in the shortest time frame / and research points an over 90% cure rate for diabetes 

the gastric bypass is the WLS gold standard for losing a lot of weight - this surgery FORCES your body to lose weight QUICKLY... and requires supplementation with protein shake mixes and vitamins for the rest of your life after surgery.

**this is due to the re-routing of the digestive system that changes how much nutrients are absorbed from food and also restricts some absorption of vitamins and minerals. SUPPLEMENTATION MUST BE DONE AFTER THE RNY or the body's store of vital muscle mass and vitamin/minerals will be depleted. This can cause weakness and could even cause death if certain levels of nutrients/vitamins/minerals are depleted too far. 

what to do ? which to choose when the "diets and snake oil miracle cures " don't work anymore ( did they ever?)

there are pluses and minuses for each procedure - when researching make sure to look at SUCCESSFUL outcomes and not just the scary /what if "someone I know knew someone who " stories that are the type of things that seem to be the most repeated.

WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY is a medical option that can help you live a more healthy and enjoyable life

which should you have ? research and think and talk and read some more - 

the above "details" about each procedure are based on what I have read doing a layperson's research and things I have seen posted on this board (questions and answers and hints and trials and tribulations) and also what I SEE on a weekly basis in my surgeon office /what seems to work /what takes longer/what hasn't worked for some/and what NEEDS to be done for success.

ann M.
on 9/13/11 4:32 am - Northern, VA
WOW...I guess we need to run over to the Band and VSG boards and let them know to stop all those ridiculous supplements they're taking- as they are not necessary!

"Generally a band patient can absorb enough protein and nutrients from regular food - supplements CAN be helpful - but are not require"

"**all nutrients and vitamins are absorbed by the surgically altered smaller sized stomach with normal digestive system."

Good grief...This post is scary in its total lack of accuracy. 

SW / BMI / SIZE:  312 / 49.5 / 26-28W         CW / BMI / SIZE:  159.1 / 25.1/ 10-12 
I need to lose about 2 more pounds for a normal BMI .  I still seem to be slowly losing at over 2 yrs out...so may get there yet.

(deactivated member)
on 9/13/11 6:37 am
Ok, I was curious to see if anyone corrected any of this misinformation over there.. so I gave it a click.. hated to do it.

Only one person noted having to take B complex vites due to the lack of intrinsic factor.. but last time I checked into B complex vites, they had no where near enough B12.. 

What's truly spooky, the person that wrote that is one of the admins.. Is it me, or is the entire BE support group site really lacking in good solid information? 
Kathleen F.
on 9/13/11 7:15 am

"the sleeve is a tool that was designed to help get super obese patients to lose enough weight (usually around 100 pounds or so)so that they could then survive having the RNY bypass operation as a second surgical step in their weight loss journey."

Never heard of the above quote before. Who does a sleeve as a precursor for doing the RNY?

Band to DS
on 9/22/11 2:33 am, edited 2/3/12 11:11 pm
Unfortunately, I had to delete this post due to privacy concerns.

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!