DS Complications?

(deactivated member)
on 9/10/11 11:15 am
Hello. I am trying to learn about the DS surgery.
  I see that the RNY has complications such as strictures and ulcers that, from what I have seen, happen at a rate higher than I feel comfortable with. 
  I know that vitamin/mineral/protein deficiencies can happen if you are not taking supplements the way you should and getting your lab work done religiously.  (Hell... Even being new, I already know that Flintstones=BAD!) I know that adhesions can occur with abdominal surgeries and that there are complications with ANY surgery. 
  What I would like to know is what some of the more common complications that DSers face?  Are there any issues you have that are bothersome on a daily basis?
 Thanks for sharing!
 Lisa
walter A.
on 9/10/11 11:21 am - lafayette, NJ
one year out, at goal, and not one complication, and I was considered a complex case, endocrine  wise, heart complications, and a very tough surgical complication.  But I also chose my doctor carefully.

(deactivated member)
on 9/10/11 11:52 am
 Walter..that is awesome! As far as surgeons, I haven't decided on one yet, because I am looking at the DS and the VSG, but I DO have a list of potential ones and your surgeon is on that list!
newyorkbitch
on 9/10/11 12:32 pm, edited 9/10/11 12:32 pm
I chose my doctor carefully too,  it was Gagner,  and still at 2 years out I had emergency bowel obstruction surgery.  

**** happens.

And even if you are good about supplements and getting labs done,  etc...sometimes there still can be trouble.

**** happens.

The DS come with risks.  That's just how it is.

walter A.
on 9/10/11 12:36 pm - lafayette, NJ
Dr G designed my surgery in 04, but only he and Dr A were willing or able to do it.  Took a look time to get through all the hoops to get on the table.
(deactivated member)
on 9/10/11 1:24 pm - San Jose, CA

The only bothersome thing, on a daily basis, is that certain foods cause gas, and it has a tendency to smell rather strong.  For the most part, however, those foods are predictable and thus avoidable.  And from time to time, some of us get issues where we are getting gassy no matter what - a round of Flagyl usually clears that up.

For me, that's about it.  Easily avoidable, and since the gassiest offenders tend to be white flour products, it's probably better to avoid them most of the time anyway.  Doesn't mean you can't enjoy them - you just have to time when you eat them so you are at home 4-6 hours later when the ga****s.  For me, that means I only eat them in the evening, and by the time I am done with going poop in the morning, they are out of my system.

Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/10/11 2:05 pm, edited 9/10/11 2:06 pm - Tuvalu

Before the sleeve was widely performed here (it was in Europe under a different name, but not here, so I didn't include it), I used to tell people that in comparing surgeries, the following was important:

If three IDENTICAL  TRIPLET wls patients had a really bad day and decided to revert to old habits and eat a Krispy Kreme or two...the banded triplet would probably puke up the donut after a few bites, the RnY triplet may well end up on the floor in a dumping episode, and the DS triplet would enjoy the donut and then a few hours later develop a huge belly, gas and some awful poop.

Also, statistically, the banded triplet would probably be heavier than the RnY triplet who would be heavier than the DS triplet. 

Choose your poison.

(BTW...this scenario was developed by a table full of wls patients, various surgeries, who had all had one too many--****tails, not donuts--and were confessing BAD days.  So this is not to be taken as a usual day.  That's when I found out that several of my RnY buddies had PLANNED dumps.  They decided that a Krispy Kreme was worth feeling horrid and changed into their jammies, crawled into bed with a trash can nearby in case they had to barf, cold towels, comfy pillows...that kind of thing...and the they ate the donuts and shortly went into a dumping episode.  I'm crazy enough that I'd probably do the same thing.  Therefore, I often say that the DS is the best wls available for people who needed brain surgery but could only find a bariatric surgeon.)

Oh...your actual question...okay...hidden bread is my nemesis.  Do the crab cakes have bread crumbs or not?  What the hell is actually IN the sausage?  What do you MEAN there is flour in your corn tortillas...what the hell is WRONG with you people?  The enchilada sauce is thickened with ___?  That kind of thing.
(deactivated member)
on 9/10/11 2:36 pm
 Thanks for sharing ....yeah, I have heard of the gas/poop issues, but they don't seem unmanageable. I haven't heard anyone saying that they need diapers or crapping their pants everyday 

I also don't see people on the DS forum complaining about their choice (and they DID have a choice) of surgery like I do on other forums.  Also, the DS seems like the only one that has no people seeking revisions.

newyorkbitch
on 9/10/11 2:39 pm
There are people who have chosen to have the DS reversed.  It's  a big world out there.
BBoop
on 9/11/11 12:27 am
You have to drink losts of fluid...usually water, tea, coffee (I drink decafff but you don't have to) but at least 64 oz per day every day for the rest of your life.  The supplementation you already known about.

I think you should exercise....I haven't been exercising and my weight loss is really slow but I'm still losing.

Sometimes I do have the odd bowel movement...just not on schedule.  Why? I have no idea but it is manageable.

Welcome and you need to read, research and research some more.  You will have to be your own advocate...many doctors don't know anything about the DS and most who do seem to think it is a "bad" surgery.  It isn't so just make sure you have a good PCP who is willing to learn.

Welcome to the forum.

Betty