Dr Stewart Visits for band revision to DS

(deactivated member)
on 9/9/11 1:33 pm - TX
Hello.  I live in Houston and have been considering a revision to an RNY until seeing some of the posts about the DS and Dr. Stewart.  I am now researching Dr. Stewart.  How many trips and months does it take to visit him or attend seminars or consults before you actually get the surgery?  Insurance paid the first time but this will probably be a self pay.  Curious on the # of trips and length of process since I live in Houston.  Anyone know how many hours it takes to get to his office from Houston?  Also, any advice on DS vs. RYN on a revision from the band?  I had my heart on the RYN until I started reading the posts on RYN failing some folks and DS working.  Seems like Dr. Stewart is the way to go if I want to go with the DS.  If my BMI is 40 shouldn't I qualify for the DS?  I was reading something about a Dr. Erik something saying a lady in Spring no longer qualifying...that scares me.

Thanks.
(deactivated member)
on 9/9/11 11:46 pm
 If you're self-pay, there are no set criteria to "qualify".  The process is extremely simplified.  He requires patients attend a bariatric surgery seminar, but you can visit his website and request a DVD be mailed to you if you are a long-distance patient.  That saves you a trip.  

Since you don't have psych requirements or documented weight requirements or nutritional counseling requirements set forth by insurance, the real question is how quickly do you want to have surgery?  It took me two weeks from the time I first called his office until I was in the operating room and that's because that was the first open surgery slot he had.  My wife had a similar time course with her DS.

He'll need to see you and examine you in his office at least once prior to surgery and determine if you need any further testing such as cardiac clearance, EGD, abdominal ultrasound, barium swallow, etc.  If you're a lap band patient you will most likely be required to have an EGD to look for ulcerations which could postpone surgery until treated adequately.  Insurance will pay for that.  Assuming everything looks great, you can start discussing a surgery date.  

It's a very simple process for self-pay patients.  There are no set BMI requirements.  My wife was a "lightweight" and has been very successful with her DS.  You'll find many lightweights here.    

Dr. Stewart is an excellent surgeon choice since you are in Texas.  I can recommend him without reservation.  Good luck and keep us posted!

(deactivated member)
on 9/10/11 12:45 am
Your wait time for self pay isn't very long at all.  I flew from Wyoming to Texas for my band to DS revision. I called and asked for all paperwork and the DVD, and got them in three days.  I watched the DVD, took the "test", and mailed it all back to them.  Four days, later, I was on the phone with Dr. Stewart, doing an initial consult.  He ordered some pre-op tests, which took the longest out of the whole process.  From the time all tests were completed to my surgery date was three weeks.  I flew into TX on a Monday, had my pre-op appointment and nutrition class Tuesday, and had surgery on Wednesday.  I stayed in the hospital until Saturday, saw Dr. Stewart on Tuesday, and flew home Wednesday.  Whirlwind experience for sure!  I was also a "lightweight", with a BMI of 41 at the time of surgery, and have done really well since.  I got to my goal at 10 months or so post-op, and am loving life.  Best wishes to you on your revision! 
(deactivated member)
on 9/10/11 2:49 am - TX
Thank you both for the responses.  I left a VM on Friday afternoon with his staff and hope to hear back on Monday.  I am so happy to hear that I can do a lot of the work (paperwork, DVD, etc.) ahead of time and not spend months making trips back and forth to his office.  I will keep you posted on my progress as well as be posting additional questions.

I will post this as a separate post in the Texas forum if I don't get any Houston responses...

Can anyone recommend a Houston primary care physician that can monitor my bone density, etc. after the surgery that is a WLS proponent?  My current PCP is not in favor of WLS.

Thanks.

pycca
on 9/10/11 4:20 am - Haslet, TX
Hi ! , another lapband to DS here,,,
You will need an EDG for sure, and probably some of the other little test, I felt better having Dr Stewart doing the EDG,

Felt like then he could actually "SEE" what he was getting into! LOL
Having worked with him and now has my surgeon,, best decision I did...

AND the CRAP BAND is gone!!

Good luck !
Deb
(deactivated member)
on 9/10/11 5:52 am - TX
 Thanks Deb.

I have a desk job.

Is it reasonable to think I could be back at my job within 2 or 2.5 weeks after surgery if I have no complications?

Thanks.
(deactivated member)
on 9/10/11 6:00 am
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 9/12/11 4:11 am
Two to three weeks recovery for a virgin lap DS is possible, I was back to work in that time, however in hindsight I should have taken a full 3 weeks to a month. It was a struggle to get back to my normal routine and I think I tried to force myself back into normal too soon.

I'm not sure if the band revision to DS will lengthen the recovery time. Revisions are more complicated than the virgin DS, I know the RNY revision to DS recovery can be very rough, but I'm not sure how it is with the band to DS.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

(deactivated member)
on 9/11/11 2:22 am - TX
 Thanks.  I appreciate the comments and guess I need to prepare myself that I may not "bounce" back as quickly as quickly as I would like. I know I need to do what is needed to make this work.
stormy918
on 9/11/11 9:38 pm
I  applaud your research. Dr Stewart is a fantastic surgeon and he works with out of town patients alot.

I want to invite you to HADS...Houston Area DSers Support group. We meet monthly. Let me know if theres anything we can help with or if you just want someone to talk to.

Darlene    DS ..9-19-06
OFFICIAL ANGEL
Kryst.......6-27-07
KellyKirk........8-6-07  now our DS FOREVER ANGEL....I will always remember
BettyBoop.....2-26-08
Jewel506...5-26-10
Ragamuffin...9-29-10
185# gone forever