Selecting a surgeon

teachmid
on 9/10/11 9:17 pm - OKC, OK
I would not go with the OH statistics.

If you are self pay, Dr. Daryl Stewart in Denton, TX has some of the best rates. Check his website.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

(deactivated member)
on 9/10/11 10:06 pm
When you ask a surgeon about complication and mortality rates, be sure to ask the doctor about those stats with other patients LIKE YOU. That will give you a clearer picture than comparing yourself to someone with extreme comorbids that you don't have.
Blank Out
on 9/10/11 11:24 pm
 Wow, look at you Eileen!  You are gorgeous!  Love the profile pic!

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

Blank Out
on 9/10/11 11:27 pm
 Lisa, where do you live?  If you tell us this, you can get individuals on this board to give you info about local surgeons, references and such.  You may be lucky enough to have a first rate surgeon in your own backyard!

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

Jennifer D.
on 9/10/11 11:28 pm
Where do you live Lisa?
(deactivated member)
on 9/11/11 4:59 am
I live in Ohio, and I know that there are two surgeons a few hours away, ( Maguire and Teel) and I am considering them (well, one of them), but I also have absolutely no problem traveling if that will mean a better outcome for myself.  
I don't want to come across as snotty, but I am very fortunate to be able to afford this surgery and do not want money and/or distance to play a factor in my health.  
Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/11/11 5:12 am - Tuvalu
SNOT!

Just kidding and I paid cash for my band.  Fortunately, I convinced my insurance to pay to take it out and get me revised to the DS.
(deactivated member)
on 9/11/11 6:26 am
LOL ..I have a friend who has a LapBand and has had nothing but problems AND is still obese! 
I just want to have it done and have it done right and pray I have no complications.  I have been lurking around here for a while and I did see what had happened to StephanieO and that broke my heart AND scared the **** out of me. That also made me want to be EXTRA sure with a surgeon.  

I am using the Santa method..making a list, checking it twice.

Elizabeth N.
on 9/11/11 12:50 am - Burlington County, NJ
For self pay, look at Dr. Daryl Stewart and Dr. David Greenbaum first.  I'd send you to my surgeon, Dr. William Peters, but he had to take a lengthy sabbatical due to illness and I don't think he's back in the OR yet.

Tonya M.
on 9/13/11 6:36 am - Grand Rapids, MI
Since you are in Ohio, you should check out Dr. Kemmeter in Michigan.  He is offering a very competitve self pay rate through St. Mary's now.  Kim Ryan (bluebinder on here) is one of his self pay patients and seems very happy with her results so far. (I beleive that she is from Ohio too, but I'm not 100% certain).  She may be helpful to you.