Selecting a surgeon

(deactivated member)
on 9/10/11 2:46 pm
 I have been looking at the surgeons on DSfacts and also have been clicking on links to surgeons here under people's names.
 I can see how many procedures that they have performed, but how can I find out their complication rates? 
Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/10/11 3:06 pm - Tuvalu

As far as I know, you have to ask them.

(deactivated member)
on 9/10/11 3:08 pm
 Ms.Cal Culator...would you know if that is information that they would disclose over the phone, email or fax?
Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/10/11 3:10 pm, edited 9/10/11 4:57 pm - Tuvalu

Yeah...but...see, some aren't the most honest in the world.  I'd hope the ones on the list are...but s
some who WERE on the list have been known to be less than totally open bout a bunch of stuff.
Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/10/11 3:08 pm - Tuvalu

Are you a cash patient, Lisa?  That makes it easier to pick and choose.
(deactivated member)
on 9/10/11 3:09 pm
 Yes
goodkel
on 9/10/11 3:32 pm
What kind of complications are you talking about?

Some of the best surgeons may have a higher complication rate. They are more likely to take on higher risk cases than less experienced surgeons. Higher BMI, high blood pressure, breathing and cardiovasular issues all contribute to a higher rate of complications.

When you question a surgeon, ask him what he thinks caused the complications. It's a different story when he's talking about high risk patients.
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

(deactivated member)
on 9/10/11 3:49 pm
 Thanks goodkel..i hadn't even taken that into consideration. This is all so new to me. 
goodkel
on 9/11/11 3:00 am
You're welcome.

I also believe that this accounts for the slightly higher rate of complications with the DS over other surgeries. The DS is the most beneficial and appropriate surgery for the SMO and SSMO patient and higher weights also correspond to to a higher rate of co-morbidity surgical risk factors.

It is an entirely different scenario throwing a lap band into someone who is only 100 pounds overweight than it is performing the DS on someone who is 300 pounds overweight.
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

DianaRR
on 9/10/11 4:03 pm - CA
I've noticed that the number of procedures that obesity help says my surgeon has performed is way too low.