First Post.. Struggling 2 months out.

lookthrshegos
on 9/10/11 11:39 pm - Huntland, TN
One more thing.  On the liquid intake.  Don't worry too much about it being calorie free for right now.  You need fluids worse than you need to avoid calories.  I found orange juice to be a life saver in the begining.  I only drank it for a couple of weeks but it helped me so much. 
Don't try anything carbonated right now tho.  Your tummy will thank you later. LOL
Kathy

NoMore B.
on 9/11/11 3:20 am
 Sounds like you are dehydrated and need fluids now, today, right this minute.

Dehydration is a viscous cycle that will creep up on you.  When you're dehydrated you will feel weak, nauseous, and unable to get in enough fluids, which makes it worse.

My surgeon said that once you get to a certain point it's physically impossible to drink enough by mouth.  

Sounds like you do need a trip to the ER for some fluids.  An urgent care center might be cheaper, maybe call a few and see if they'll give you IV fluids there?

Dont play around with this. Dehydration will cause you some serious problems if it gets bad enough
NoMore B.
on 9/11/11 3:25 am
 To add…

Once you get stable on your fluids, it's so important to stay on top of it.  I know it's easier said than done.  I struggled too, and ended up in the ER for fluids.

The thing that worked best for me was to start very early. I had to set goals - for example, 20 oz by 10am, 40oz by 1pm, etc.  It was the only way I could keep on top of it.  

You also should try lots of different things to see what you can tolerate best.  Everyone is different.  Some people do better with cold, some warm.  

Some ideas:
Crystal Light
Diet Snapple
Chicekn broth
Peppermint tea
Iced Tea

Be careful of too much caffeine, which in itself could be dehyrating, but find what works for you.

(deactivated member)
on 9/11/11 10:10 am
dragnsteph
on 9/11/11 12:02 pm - Irving, TX
Thank you to everyone who has replied, I appreciate all the advice.

I spoke to my surgeon today and he advised I go to the emergency room of the hospital where I had my surgery, some things there are included in the fee I paid for the surgery itself. He is however wanting to admit me so they can run some tests in the morning to see if they can figure out why the nausea isn't easing up. This has been an ongoing problem for me almost since my surgery date.

I'm hopeful since it's a doctor owned hospital (and he's one of them) that he will get them to work with me on the bill. I know he's right when he says I can't worry about the money, that my health needs to come first. 

Anyway I'm checking in through the ER tonight, so need to go pack a bag and get ready to go. 

Thanks again, 
Steph
teachmid
on 9/11/11 12:30 pm - OKC, OK
Good luck, Steph. I hope you get to feeling better. BTW, who is your surgeon?
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

(deactivated member)
on 9/12/11 9:38 am
dragnsteph
on 9/13/11 11:22 am - Irving, TX
I am home after two nights at the hospital, it seems I was correct about the sinus drainage being the issue. I was given Zyrtec in the hospital and ... really, almost instantly, felt better. 

That didn't stop them from being thorough, though -- I had a CT scan with contrast as well as a scoping... I can't spell what they called it, it was abbreviated EGD. 

My potassium had dropped to 2.8, it'sup now to 3.3 after two days of potassium via IV as well as an oral liquid dose and three horse-sized pills. So long as I can stay hydrated though they don't think I should have any more problems there.

Thanks so much again to everyone for advising me to go in. I feel a thousand times better, though still tired (not much sleeping happens in a hospital), but that will pass over the next couple of days.

For the people who asked, my surgeon is Dr. Wade Barker, and the hospital I went to was Forest Park Medical Center -- there is no better nursing staff, I'm pretty sure!

Steph
Elizabeth N.
on 9/13/11 12:11 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Glad to hear you're doing better. Rest up and sip, sip, sip CONSTANTLY when you are awake.

What I tell people is this formula:

If you sip one teaspoon per minute (measure it and time it), it will take you six minutes to consume one ounce. At this rate, it will take about 6-1/2 hours of your day to consume 64 oz. of fluids.

This is not difficult. A teaspoon is a tiny amount of fluid (though there are a few people here who had it even harder than that at first, they are the exception).

Pretty soon you will be able to move up to a tablespoon of fluid in a sip. 128 tablespoons is 64. oz. This means that you can get your 64 oz. MINIMUM of fluids, a tablespoon at a time, in just over two hours of your day. It's not that hard. You can do this.

Your LIFE depends on you doing this. Break it down into these very tiny steps and you will be able to build on them sooner than you think.