First Post.. Struggling 2 months out.

dragnsteph
on 9/10/11 10:52 am - Irving, TX
Hi everyone. Been lurking here a while, finally frustrated and unhappy enough to start talking, I guess.

My surgery date was 7/6, and somehow I made it through the hottest summer ever in Texas only managing to get dehydrated and readmitted one time, a month after my surgery. I was there three days because my potassium was low. I was diagnosed with something my doctor compared to morning sickness, I was having a lot of nausea and having trouble keeping the liquids and everything else down.

In the month since, I had felt like I was making progress - I've continued to have a lot of trouble with the liquid intake, and haven't yet found a protein supplement I can really stand... so not so well there.. but I have been until recently doing well on my supplements and hadn't been feeling TOO bad. 

Just in the last week or two, though, I've either discovered my doc was wrong about the 'morning sickness' thing or else this is new. My sinuses are draining constantly and I'm nauseous all the time. I wake up in the morning retching, and I'm sick whenever I put literally anything in my mouth. I'm able to struggle to keep down maybe 20 or 30 ounces of fluid a day, not nearly enough to prevent being dehydrated, I know. My lips are chapped and my skin is dry. I'm tired all the time, and I haven't been able to keep anything remotely food-like down either. This includes most of my pills. 

I'm without health insurance -- got laid off two weeks before my surgery, which was already paid for, so I went ahead with it.. was able to handle two months of COBRA but not a third, so I'm -really- trying to avoid any more emergency room visits and admissions. I know that if it gets too bad I'll need to just go, but honestly I'm trying to avoid that extra added stress on top of all of this.

I've heard the suggestions about tea helping with the drainage, and the sick feeling, but honestly that hasn't worked for me, I've never been able to stand hot tea and it really just makes me feel sick again.

Does anyone have any advice, help, pep talks, anything to help me get past this? I live alone, and I'm nervous about how weak I feel all the time. I don't want to end up back in the hospital again.

Thanks in advance,
Steph
KarenFlorida
on 9/10/11 11:33 am - Orlando, FL
It sounds to me like you need to go either to the ER or at least to an urgent care, and get some IV fluids; see whether treating the dehydration helps with the nausea. If not, further workup will be necessary. You can't go on like this! You're going to get in trouble fast!

Karen
Join me! weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi

sdld2001
on 9/10/11 11:43 am - Summerville, SC
Are you on a PPI?  Acid reflux can cause nausea but it sounds like your nausea is coming from being dehydrates. It's a slippery slope. If you're dehydrated you are nauseous, if you are nauseous you don't want to drink/eat.
Mindee

HW - 274 / SW - 265 / CW - 178 / GW 140          High BMI 53.5 / Current BMI 34.8  
DianaRR
on 9/10/11 11:52 am - CA
I'm 2 months out, too. I have a lot of trouble with nausea and I sometimes feel like what I eat first thing sits like a rock in my stomach.
My doctor and everyone at the support group said that not eating for so long between dinner and breakfast was the problem. Some of the ladies said they actually set an alarm to eat at 2 in the morning.
Is there a time of day you can eat or drink better? Could it be that the long time between meals is messing you up?
if you haven't tried it yet, try www.gotein.com. The protein mix is incredibly fine and it is drinkable.
I also do well on pure protein drinks you can buy online-search it on amazon.com
It is really important to get your water and protein.
One other thing, the cost of my surgery included 2 years post-op care--at no further cost. Are you sure you would have to pay if you saw your surgeon again?
sandy_mt
on 9/11/11 12:01 am
 Hey Diana-

You and I had surgery the same day.  I can't eat first thing in the morning either.  If I do, it's like 1 bite of something.  I've been drinking a protein coffee every morning.  Gets a good jump on the protein for the day and doesn't upset my system.  

Sandy

Kayla B.
on 9/10/11 8:59 pm - Austin, TX
I've wanted to post...but have held off...there's just so much to post!  So, if I leave something out, I apologize.  I just don't want to overload you.

Elizabeth N has a fluid intake plan for newbies.  I can't find the exact post, but it essentially is a plan to sip all day long, enough to get your fluid intake it.  It consists of taking small sips of water every couple minutes allll day long.  So, I would try shooting for a little bit higher than normal ounce-age.  Say, 80 oz.  How many hours are you awake per day?  I'll say 14 just to be conservative so you can have a night full night of sleep and a long nap since you're so sleepy.  All other times, you can be drinking.  It'd break down to roughly 6 ounces per hour.  Or one ounce every 10 minutes.  Or half an ounce every 5.  1 tablespoon is half an ounce.

That being said, I do personally think you may already be too far gone to bring yourself back from this dehydration.  You might try calling an urgent care center and seeing if they have the capabilities to run an IV on you today.  And you should call early.  I work at one of such clinics and we will hook a patient up to an IV on occasion and just let them sit there most of the day out of the way.  But if you called at noon, we'd laugh our asses off at you, because we'd be closing soon and wouldn't have enough time to get you fixed up.

Try to keep in mind that dehydration is not only something that makes you feel like crap, It's also very dangerous to your kidneys, and can lead to hypovolemia and that leads to dizziness and can really screw with your heart rate.

I am, of course, not only concerned about fluid, but problems eating is probably leading to some electrolyte imbalances.  Mostly likely potassium, and perhaps others.  Considering the nausea, the likelihood of you taking any vitamins at the point is probably pretty low, so I will assume no vitamin intake.  And the potassium deficiency we can get tends to be severe and hard to come back from and often requires a prescription strength--and this will, again, require a doctor's visit and a blood draw.  This deficiency can also cause weakness and nausea...further making this issue worse. 

Anyhow, the more I type, the more I am convinced that you need to be seen by a doctor.  Try calling an urgent care today and see if you can be seen for lethargy and nausea.  Remind the doctor you see several times that you are self-pay and would greatly appreciate him/her taking that into consideration everytime they are about the order a test and to be as conservative as possible.  You are allowed to turn down any labs they offer, but you'll probably get at least a metabolic panel and blood count.

When you're ready to cheak out, you can set up some sort of payment arrangement with them to make monthly payments.  And in a couple of days, you can try calling their billing department to maybe get a percentage off if you can pay in full, or get a discount for not having insurance.  Or, at the very least, set up an arrangement for pay $50/month until forever and your bill is settled. 

Also, I think you should call your doctor for advice.  Sometimes office visits ended up getting covered in an original program fee.  You may also mention to him that you no longer have insurance and he should very much want to see you if you are in such bad shape and should be able to work something out with you. 

Besides that, I also think you could use some anti-nausea meds and perhaps an acid-reducer, they can really help with nausea.

We can work on food later.

Can you tolerate any milk-tasting beverages at least?  Here in Texas you can buy a lactose free milk at HEB called mootopia.  12g of protein in a cup (6g carbs, if it matters).  That could be an option for something that is mild-tasting and will get additional fluids in.  You can even consider getting fat free so that it empties faster from your belly (2% is thicker and the extra fat can slow the emptying of the stomach, so fat free might be less heavy on you). 

Anyhow, good luck with what you're going through--I've been there and it sucks even if you do have insurance.  But keep your health in mind...you can always set up payment arrangements and negotiate lower health costs.  So just get well and put it behind you.

Update us, please.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
newyorkbitch
on 9/10/11 10:36 pm, edited 9/10/11 10:37 pm
You must get health insurance.  Because if you need medical help....the costs could dwarf the cost of health insurance. 

And it sounds like you need medical attention NOW.

How are you going to pay for labwork,  medication,  any testing you might need, supplements,  vitamins,  and the more expensive protein diet you will soon need?

BBoop
on 9/11/11 12:46 am
She's unemployed...why did you write that...she is doing the best she can.  Good grief, what were you thinking?

Its a Secret
on 9/10/11 10:58 pm
Steph,

There are several free clinics in your county.  It's not a pretty option but you probably need to go.  I haven't had the surgery and am just learning but from the sounds of it you are in trouble.  The other alternative is borrow from freinds, family or credit cards to continue Cobra.  I know it's a horrific option but it may be your only one.  It's not too late to pay the bill.

Good luck and remember your health is more important than your credit.
lookthrshegos
on 9/10/11 11:36 pm - Huntland, TN
Bless your heart!!!
I went thru this sinus thing too.  It was the worst of nausea for me.  Even worse than right after surgery. 
Take something for your sinus to dry them up.  Sudifed(sp) works for me and is CHEAP.  You can get generic for under $5. 
Now I'm by no means telling you that this is the only thing you should do to get yourself better but I do know from experience how much that sinus thing makes our ds tummies SICK.
You may still have to go to the er or somewhere to get additional help because you may be dehydrated beyond overcoming it at home. 
Good luck and go NOW and get something to dry those sinus up. It will make a world of difference!
kathy