Vitamins Pre-Op

(deactivated member)
on 9/9/11 11:05 pm - PA
I was just wondering...  I'm currently taking a multi-vitamin and a B Complex vitamin....would you recommend adding any others?

I'm trying to get myself mentally prepared for taking my vitamins daily....knowing that I'll be taking much more post-op.

Any thoughts or insights is greatly appreciated!

Alisha
MajorMom
on 9/9/11 11:15 pm - VA
Here are Vitalady's pre-op ideas. Have you had your labs done yet to know where you stand on things like vitamin D?

Link: www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/VitaladysPre-op_ideas_11-2009.doc

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

lisarn
on 9/9/11 11:45 pm - Omaha, NE
Echoing Major Mom....get pre-op labs on as much as you can. My PCP tried to make sure to order as much as he could justify to my insurance on my pre-op labs. I found my magnesium was already low amoung other things pre-op. Vit. D is another that many are low on as well. If you are anemic at all, get on that iron!! 
I don't know how close you are, but when going over your meds with the hospital prior to surgery, make sure they know about the supplements you take and follow their instructions when to stop them prior to surgery (ANY surgery, not just the DS). Lots of people only tell them about prescribed medication, and over the counter meds like tylenol. You want the anesthesiologist to have all the information they can to keep you alive during surgery!
Lisa
HW/SW/CW/GW:   294/288/170.2/150  ht: 5'2" (06/03/2012)

butercup
on 9/10/11 4:13 am - Kennewick, WA
My surgeon put me on a pretty aggressive vitamin regimen. I have a prescription strength iron heavy multi vit, 3-4 calcium, 50,000 D 3x a week, B12 shots, and iron infusions. I was lacking in some vit so he wanted me to bulk up before surgery.
(deactivated member)
on 9/12/11 3:23 am - PA
Thank you all for the helpful tips!

I did get a copy of my recent labs and all seem to be within normal range....they are as follows:

potassium - 4.2
calcium - 9.2
protein, total - 7.1

i am waiting for the script for the remainder labs to be drawn from the surgeon. 

Any additional thoughts are welcomed!

Alisha