Frustration after a stop in weight loss Duodenal Switch surgery

Elizabeth N.
on 9/10/11 11:04 pm - Burlington County, NJ
The basic need in the DS diet is MORE PROTEIN, from animal sources, and less carbs. You have to work on adjusting the protein to carbohydrate ratio in your life. If you're just going to eat whatever you want, whenever you want, you're going to gain weight.

So you're going to have to make some choices....and not just for your weight, for your SURVIVAL. If you're just eating whatever you want, I can promise you that serious malnutrition is in your future.

If I were in your shoes, I would make a commitment to consume 30 grams of animal source protein (which is about 150 grams of meat, fish, poultry or cheese) each time I eat before I eat ANYTHING else. Then and only then would I proceed on to other foods, with an emphasis on vegetables. Grain based foods would be at the bottom of my list of food selections, with fruit being only slightly higher. I would consume all of my food without regard to fat content.

That's the easiest way to reduce your carb intake.

Jennifer D.
on 9/10/11 7:30 am
I love the recipes on The World According To Eggface Site
http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/
elixir
on 9/10/11 8:47 pm - MI
My surgeon said that a DSers diet is very similar to the Atkins diet. He told me this when he first suggested the duodenal switch surgery to me. It seems that not all doctors do this, eh? Get a couple of Atkins diet cookbooks. I have several Atkins and other low-carb cookbooks and enjoy high protein, low-carb meals regularly. Of course there are days that I don't feel like cooking. On those days I eat things like bacon, boiled eggs, string cheese, ham & cream cheese roll-ups with pickle, and protein shakes. 

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor