Frustration after a stop in weight loss Duodenal Switch surgery

inbal38
on 9/9/11 10:28 am - Israel
I am a year and 8 month after the Doudenal Switch surgery.
Do you know the feeling that we were almost icing on the cake, but not ...
This is exactly how I feel. I lost weight about 60 kg. and stopped. I need to loose another total of 10-15 kg. to feel that the goal was achieved and I know now it was time I should take some effort to get there and it's not easy.
Have any of you reached a point where weight loss stopped and has not yet come to normal BMI?
Does anyone have a suggestion diet for Doudenal Swhitch patients to help get rid of the last few kg.?
MajorMom
on 9/9/11 11:50 pm - VA
I would think cutting back on carbs, especially sugar and white flour products, would be the thing to do if you aren't already doing that. Also, getting some walking or other exercise daily. What is your typical daily food intake and exercise routine?

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Sarah_Anne
on 9/10/11 1:00 am
Hi Inbal! 

I am also a Keidar patient who had a DS.  Welcome to the forum!!!

I lost 60 kg as well and have 10 kg to go to my goal weight.  Where do you live?  I would love to meet another DS'er in Israel.

Sarah
 HW 315/ SW 297 /CW 173 /GW 150, size 8/10, 5'8 tall  (Updated December 1)
inbal38
on 9/10/11 5:16 am - Israel
Hi Sarah,
I was so glad to read your message. I would love to be in touch with you.
I wish you would write me to my email: [email protected]
larra
on 9/10/11 1:03 am - bay area, CA
The DS is the most powerful wls there is at present, but even so, not everyone reaches a normal bmi.
     That said, you do have some control over the outcome. Going low carb makes a big difference. Exercise helps also. Just make sure you continue to eat plenty of protein, take all your vitamins and supplements, and do the best you can.

Larra
inbal38
on 9/10/11 5:50 am - Israel
Hi Lara,
You're so right. The problem is that we all know you have to cut carbs, increase the amount of protein, keep taking our vitamins and do exercise. And that is precisely the problem: Persistence!
Every morning we get up and decide that from today we will reduce amounts and eat more healthy and it has exactly until the urge comes back and immeasurable controlled. However I'd love to get tips on protein-rich menus and custom type of the surgery we went through so I could reach the desired goal.
Tks. Inbal.
larra
on 9/10/11 11:55 am - bay area, CA
Yes, persistence is key, and it isn't always easy. A few suggestions:

for breakfast, to get the day off to a positive start, either a protein drink or eggs. I'm not one of those people who has chosen to drink protein drinks forever, but I think they do help early out, and they're easy. 
     when I had to lose weight as a pre-op requirement and my metabolism was so bad that I had to eat only 800 calories/day, I even ate luncheon meat for breakfast. Not fun, but good protein and no carbs.

Lunch - hamburger with no bun? chicken salad? tuna salad?

dinner - steak, chicken, fish, lamb. I don't know if shellfish are available where you are as they aren't kosher. And I won't even try to suggest pork!

Sometimes if helps to plan a menu for a few days ahead, or even a week. Get suggestions from different low carb websites. You have a goal, you want it, and you can do it!

Larra
Elizabeth N.
on 9/10/11 1:49 am - Burlington County, NJ
Tell us about what you're eating, what kind of supplement regimen you're on and what kind of physical activity you do. We are likely to be able to suggest changes that have worked for us.

inbal38
on 9/10/11 5:34 am - Israel
Hello Elizabeth,
Thanks for your response.
I chose this type of surgery because I have a problem persist on diets and so I have no regular hours as well as I can tell you exactly what went into my mouth. I eat everything when I want and rarely feel limited. But I understand that if I want to hit the target I have to outdo myself, pull myself together and put myself in the frame. So I have to conduct new proposals with food.
If you have a suggestion menu that can help me I'd appreciate it.
Tks. Inbal.
newyorkbitch
on 9/10/11 12:40 pm
You have to stop eating simple carbs.  That means sweets and things made with white flour,  and white rice.  No white bread,  no white pasta,  etc.

Eat complex carbs but limit them.

Get plenty of protein and fluids.

I'm sorry you thought you could eat anything and everything whenever you want to without limitation and still lose all your weight and maintain it...but as you have learned,  for many DSers that is not the case.