Supplies for staying away from home during recovery

determineddanni
on 9/9/11 2:52 am

I am just a little over a month out for sending in all my required information to my insurance. Granted I still have to go through the approval/disapproval process, I am already looking into what essentials I need immediate post-op! Granted I will not buy anything until I am approved but I wanted to ask everyone for advice in building a list.
I am going to be staying in a motel for 2 to 3 weeks, then flying home, and recovering at home for another 2 weeks. It is most likely I will be having my surgery in the winter.

Any advice for a snowy surgery date?

What could you not live without during this period of time?

Any advice in what to bring for a motel stays of this long?

Right now this is my only list:

Apple juice – no sugar added

Broth – reduced sodium

Lots of water

A shot glass to drink my water (using EN’s lovely water regimen)

Several Pillows

Comfy pj’s & slippers

Heating pads for my always cold feet

Please add to this … I am at a loss of ideas!

Elizabeth N.
on 9/9/11 3:02 am - Burlington County, NJ
Flushable wet wipes!

Stuff like pudding, yogurt etc. for full liquids.

BeSwitched
on 9/9/11 4:07 am, edited 1/23/12 3:56 am

goodkel
on 9/9/11 5:43 am
Particularly since you are flying, the location of the nearest Wal-Mart and cab fare to get there and back will be handy. You can stock up on sf Jello, bottled water, and any other heavy supplies (check your airline's weight restrictions for luggage--the overage fees are HUGE) you'd like to keep handy in your room. Plus, the walking is perfect exercise for you post-op. Just make sure someone else does the heavy lifting.

Since you will be doing a lot of walking for exercise around the hotel, it is easiest to wear something suitable for semi-public that you are also comfortable sleeping in. You don't want to be changing in and out of clothes 4-5 times a day every time you go for a walk. 3-4 pairs of sweats, an equal number of long sleeved t-shirts, and a zipped hoody or two in case you get chilly should do the trick.

The hotel probably has or can direct your companion to a little launderette to wash your clothes.

Don't over pack. It will just aggravate you. If you forget something important, you can buy it at your destination. It's not a tragedy. Remember you will spend a lot of time sleeping and hazy from drugs. Don't plan on catching up with your reading, for instance.
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

gak
on 9/9/11 12:09 pm
Revision on 06/21/13
Chapstick ..keep it light, you will not need much. Knowing where the closest store is located and how to get there is essential. I over bought when I traveled and had to throw out a lot of stuff in the end. so think small quantities. Oh and a baby spoon, or a junior size spoon ...the ones smaller than a teaspoon are wonderful for sipping that broth, etc!  

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

happydsr
on 9/9/11 12:27 pm, edited 1/28/12 11:42 am
determineddanni
on 9/9/11 2:58 pm
I am loving the suggestions, some I never even thought off but make total sense! I am writing this stuff down as we speak!
dustydeer
on 9/9/11 11:20 pm
Since it'll be 2-3 weeks away, I'd have several good novels. I'd research the area and pick a place where I know I can get out to walk, sight see and eat...because you'll be able to do plenty of it in that length of time. 

5'1 HW 298 CW 118

"Making America skinny, one slap atta time!" -Slap Chop Dude

lisarn
on 9/9/11 11:55 pm - Omaha, NE
If applicable to you: Pads. You will get your period. Even if you use tampons, you will want to use pads post-op. If you don't get your period, consider yourself blessed. It really sucks to have it in the first cpl weeks post op!
HW/SW/CW/GW:   294/288/170.2/150  ht: 5'2" (06/03/2012)

mylittleblackdress
on 9/10/11 1:43 am - FL
laptop (if you have one) with Skype subscription is nice
favorite pillow
fleece throw--nice to wrap up in on the plane or in the hotel--I used mine a lot
snacks for companion
you might find a nightgown or night shirt more comfortable for lounging around in--no waistband
Crystal Light type mixes to flavor your water